• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1403 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Please post comments wrt the topic at hand.

Comments posted that engage in off topic chatter will be removed, with possible action taken if the same members insist on posting in this manner.

If members feel the need to speak to each other use a PM, rather than cluttering the thread with off topic chatter.

Cheers

Re: Re:

Fanboy rubbish is as always off the charts. What I probably dislike the most on the forum is that a significant part of forumers hate to doubt and hesitate in their opinions. Almost any controversial situations are handled with 1000% belief in one's rightness. It should seem just give other participant of the debate some slack, but NO 'I'm aware of everything, you are just a clueless fanboy who's unable to deal with proven facts'. That's pathetic.

Have patience and let Bertie win the Tour in 2 months or forget about excuses if doesn't happen. It is as simple as that.

Vuelta is never get ridden so hard as the Tour. Furthermore, climbing times have never been and will never be 100% reliable indicator. Take 2 exactly the same stages finishing on alpe d'huez or any other big climb and hold them as stage 1 two years in a row, that would be quite an objective comparison and great material for analysis. but comparing climbing times from different gts from different seasons and making strong conclusions on who was / was not in top shape goes far beyond the scope of rational thinking

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
The same analogy can be applied about Froome's 2014 Vuelta as well. It is obvious that Froome wasnt at his best in the Vuelta with all his yoyo-ing and dropping behind Aru Jrod and Piti in several cases, several times.
By the same analogy Froome might not have an explanation why he was below par and couldn't achieve his peak in the whole Vuelta.
Have you seen the climbing times for Froome for that race?

P.S. I guess we are focused in their closest comparison in GT only. Because if we leave GTs aside there is always the first two stages of the 2014 Dauphine which remain the best medium of comparison of their performances in(or close to) top shape.
No.

Have you? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Covadonga.png
    Covadonga.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 311
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
And Contador is prob gonna ride at least 2 more years. Well who said that before heh? ;)

He also destroyed you guys plans of giro-vuelta in 2017, he wants to do the tour.

Those times of lagos are stupid, there were standing still most of the times in 2014

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

buchanan said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
The same analogy can be applied about Froome's 2014 Vuelta as well. It is obvious that Froome wasnt at his best in the Vuelta with all his yoyo-ing and dropping behind Aru Jrod and Piti in several cases, several times.
By the same analogy Froome might not have an explanation why he was below par and couldn't achieve his peak in the whole Vuelta.
Have you seen the climbing times for Froome for that race?

Agree with Ataraxus.
It was obvious to me at the time, especially in the first 2 weeks of the Vuelta, that Froome was not in peak shape. He had a poor time trial by his usual standards and was yo yoing on the first mountain stages. Looked like he was just trying to find some form, which he sort of did in the last few days. But he never hit 100%. I suspect that after his fractured hand and broken wrist he just took it pretty easy for a couple of weeks after he abandoned the Tour. And as Taxus pointed out, Contador had the benefit of a few hard extra days in the Tour before he abandoned.

P.S. I guess we are focused in their closest comparison in GT only. Because if we leave GTs aside there is always the first two stages of the 2014 Dauphine which remain the best medium of comparison of their performances in(or close to) top shape.
No.

Don't know how Flo can just declare 'No' (like that wins the debate)?
I think Ataraxus is right. I have often thought myself that the beginning of the 2014 Dauphine is the very closest both have been to peak condition at the same time. They were both exactly at the same point in their preparation for the Tour. And Froome proved to be the slightly stronger, winning the prologue by 8 seconds and beating Contador in the next day MTF. Froome won the two stages and was in the leader's jersey. It's clear they were both really going for it as well.

What came later:- between the Tour and Vuelta; how their respective rehabilitation from injuries went; their respective training; the sort of condition both showed up in at that Vuelta; - one can only speculate. But it certainly did not look like a top shape Froome to me.

Don't know (I am surprised actually) how laFlo replied to me by making my comments stick for a longer time to the AC thread pages :p :D

buchanan said:
BlurryVII said:
buchanan said:
Don't know how Flo can just declare 'No' (like that wins the debate)?
I think Ataraxus is right. I have often thought myself that the beginning of the 2014 Dauphine is the very closest both have been to peak condition at the same time. They were both exactly at the same point in their preparation for the Tour. And Froome proved to be the slightly stronger, winning the prologue by 8 seconds and beating Contador in the next day MTF. Froome won the two stages and was in the leader's jersey. It's clear they were both really going for it as well.

What came later:- between the Tour and Vuelta; how their respective rehabilitation from injuries went; their respective training; the sort of condition both showed up in at that Vuelta; - one can only speculate. But it certainly did not look like a top shape Froome to me.

The Dauphiné is irrelevant, it's a prep race which doesn't matter and where AC has always been average. He beat Froome though, whether Froome would've been able to keep up with him without the crash is speculation since AC was only getting better.

Of course Froome didn't look top shape to you in the Vuelta, he lost lol. That's natural bias. However he really was close to top shape in the 3rd week.

In response to bold para.
Then I might as well say that of course Contador didn't look top shape to you in the 2013 Tour - he lost lol. That's natural bias. However he really was close to top shape in 2013 Tour. Because he himself said his numbers and times between the 2013 Dauphine and Tour were his best ever. He also came a close 2nd (to Froome) in the hilly Alps TT in 2013 Tour.
What?
He climbed Ax-3 Domaines 57 seconds slower than 2010 where he was doing trackstands with Schleck and they were even dropped by Menchov/Sanchez who were 34 seconds slower than Froome 2013.
He climbed Ventoux 1:18 slower than 2009 where was a very strong headwind and he was doing trackstands with Schleck again.
He climbed L'Alpe roughly 10 seconds slower than in 2011 where he was injured and atatcked like a madman in Telegraphe and went full gas.
He did a very bad TT in stage 11.
He was terrible at Semnoz as well.
He either messed up his form or lied to us.It is pretty simple :)

I don't think that we can learn much about history, or that we can achieve anything by interpreting or re-writing it. The two haven't had the same objectives, except in '14 and were even on the Dauphine, days before the TdF began. Now we 're in '16. Alberto is not getting any younger. Yet, we witnessed a good start of the year for Contador in the one-week races. He seems to be building up quite well. He is explosive. We can speculate all we want about his two main rivals, Froome in particular. But right now, Bertie's fans can feel good about his chances in July. Big concern, though: his team is weak...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh boy fleur, i never thought you or me could hate Wuyts even more but somehow the man did it.

Today he wrote something on Nibali and of course he mentioned the tour 2014. He could have said that he thinks it was unlikely that Contador would have closed the gap of 2:30 on nibali which would be a reasonable opinion although i disagree but no he went a bit further.

He said that the Contador of 2014 was no match at all for nibali in that tour.

He said even more but i don't wanna make this a nibali vs contador thread

WATSON_00003872-049-630x420.jpg

Re:

Red Rick said:
Source Miburo? I don't think I've every hear Wuyts say something positive about Contador. Or something negative about Sky. He sees a chance to indirectly bash Contador, he takes it
There's a youtube video, about Contador's crash & seizure in the 2004 Vuelta a Asturias, and in the comments Wuyts wrote: "falls off his bike like Manzano. Maybe they ate the same Spanish steak?" :eek:

Re:

Miburo said:
Oh boy fleur, i never thought you or me could hate Wuyts even more but somehow the man did it.

Today he wrote something on Nibali and of course he mentioned the tour 2014. He could have said that he thinks it was unlikely that Contador would have closed the gap of 2:30 on nibali which would be a reasonable opinion although i disagree but no he went a bit further.

He said that the Contador of 2014 was no match at all for nibali in that tour.

He said even more but i don't wanna make this a nibali vs contador thread

WATSON_00003872-049-630x420.jpg

I don't like thinking about this tour!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Source Miburo? I don't think I've every hear Wuyts say something positive about Contador. Or something negative about Sky. He sees a chance to indirectly bash Contador, he takes it

lgy0Vto.jpg

ODqVQYW.jpg

First one is to prove it's wuyts saying it, you're dutch so you understand it.

Re:

bajbar said:
We should discuss the Contador interview that was posted on Cyclingnews today. I find it really positive that he still has the fighting spirit and that he still wants a team fully commited to him doing the Tour.
I think he should go for the Giro-Vuelta double in 2017. He also says he will maybe ride the Spanish nats, but only the road race. I would like to see him in the TT, it suits him and it could be a good test.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Publicus said:
So he's already laid down the marker for the Dauphine--he won't be going for the win. I assume he will be sitting on Froome's wheel to the extent possible.

He'll try to win if he can like always. There's only one time when he didn't try to win in a race and that was dauphine '09.

Besides he'll get at least 20 sec on the prologue anyways :p

PROFIL.jpg

That prologue is so brutal, thank the heavens

TRENDING THREADS