• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1424 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Alberto will continue for 2 more seasons. And if I had to wager on it. He will ride for ETIXX.The BIG S will not let him go. Nibs is off Specialized. All Spec has for GT is ARU. To unproven IMHO.

Re:

cellardoor said:
If he's gone to a big team then personally I hope it will be Etixx and he can finally bring them some GT success.
Etixx just isn't strong enough in the mountains (I guess Jungels, De la Cruz, Verona and Brambilla would be his domestiques?) and Kittel would want his leadout train so they would have to ride different schedules.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
cellardoor said:
If he's gone to a big team then personally I hope it will be Etixx and he can finally bring them some GT success.
Etixx just isn't strong enough in the mountains (I guess Jungels, De la Cruz, Verona and Brambilla would be his domestiques?) and Kittel would want his leadout train so they would have to ride different schedules.

They would probably bring a couple of new helpers in. I feel he only really needs one strong domestique in the mountains and having strong flatlanders has proved more important in recent editions where there have been cobbles and opportunities to create splits, which Etixx are masters of. Personally I feel like Katusha and Astana have too much baggage for my liking and also other potential leaders.

ETA: Based on what we saw at the Giro I think Jungels would be second to none as a dom. Personally I think he would be a bit wasted as a dom and would prefer to see him have his own chances in races that Alberto isn't doing. Brambilla on the other hand was very unselfish in his work for Jungels - maybe he doesn't have it for the high mountains of the Tour yet, but he has the potential to turn into a great dom.

I don't believe in Ettix to be his destiny. Either the new team that will take Tinkoff's place, or...

Doing a simple exercise, let's exclude the teams that are highly doubtful that would want/can hire him (either because of money or different objectives):
- Ettix;
- Lampre;
- Team Dimension Data;
- AG2R;
- FDJ;
- IAM;
- Orica;
- Giant;
- Trek;
- Soudal;
- Sky.

That leaves us with:
- Astana;
- Movistar;
- New team;
- Cannondale;
- BMC;
- Lotto Jumbo;
- Katusha.

I highly doubt that BMC would hire him (not because of a lack of interest, but they already have 3 top dogs), Astana is highly doubtful also, because of their previous relationship.
Lotto Jumbo possibly, but they hardly have the money to pay Contador and keep some of their riders (such as Gesink or Krushweak).
Movistar? Too many top dogs also, especially one that is on the rise and targets the Tour.

So, we have Cannondale and Katusha. Katusha lacks a leader for GTs, especially the Tour, since the ageing Rodriguez seems to perform better at Spain.
Cannondale is a good team. With Uran, Talansky and Rolland they have potential to top 5 in the Giro/Vuelta, sothey lack a guy who can go for the top3/win in the Tour over the next 2 years.

Nice article by Luca Gialanella in today's la Gazzetta dello Sport:

"Ci sono giorni che valgono una carriera. Ieri è stato uno...quando ha parlato Alberto Contador (in Alto Savoia, Francia). Al di là di quanto gli è successo in quest' ultimo decennio, il madrileno è con Nibali il corridore piu spettacolare della sua generazione. Un campione che butta il cuore in ogni corsa, che non si mette il numero sulla schiena per allenarsi o per rimanere schiavo (soltanto) di computer, battiti, watt. Per carità, aspetti determinanti nella preparazione di un atleta di vertice, ma quando si entra nell'arena i campioni vogliamo vederli faccis a faccia. E Alberto piace proprio per questo...Alberto Contador ha detto: 'Correrò per altri due anni...'"

"There are days that are worth a career. Yesterday was one...when Alberto Contador spoke (in Haute Savoie, France). Notwithstanding whatever may have happened to him over the last decade, the Madrid native is, along with Nibali, the most spectacular racer of his generation. A champion that puts his heart into every race, who doesn't put a number on his back to train or remain a slave (only) to his computer, heartrate, watts. Certainly these are determining aspects to the preparation of a top athlete, but when one enters in the ring we want to see the champions face to face. And Alberto is liked exactly for this...Alberto Contador said 'I'll race two more years...'"

Then Alberto goes on to say that the people's affection convinced him and that he feels better than ever.

Hmmm...let's see what comes of this Dauphine, Tour, Olympics, Vuelta then.

PS. To be precise, Alberto Contador: "There are various reasons that pushed me toward this decision. First of all has been the warmth of the fans, through the social networks, on the roads, at the races. This made me reflect. Moreover, physically I'm the best ever. When you see that you beat your records on the climbs, this motivates you. And if you have the support of your family, notwithstanding it is still a sacrifice for them, in the end you decide to continue."

lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:
@lenric
You just excluded the three teams that have been mentioned the most. Trek, Etixx and Lampre.
I don't see why you would exclude those teams yet include LottoJumbo :eek:

If you re-read my post, you'd see that I explained why I excluded them. Lack of money/different objectives.
And that isn't the case for LottoJumbo? Their budget is lower than either Trek's or Lampre's and both of those teams have allegedly contacted Alberto, so clearly they want to sign him and don't have other objectives. And their budgets are high enough to afford a 2 or 3mln euro contract for Alberto. Trek now have Cancellara on their payroll, who'll retire, so that'll free up some money and Trek (the sponsor) really wants Alberto as a brand ambassador so they may offer some additional money to sign him, just like Specialized did when Alberto signed for Saxo.
Lampre's budget really isn't low and since Merida owns a part of Specialized, so might want to keep them on "their" bikes and also offer some money

Edit: and I forgot to add LottoJumbo have nearly nothing to offer in terms of climbing support. Gesink, Kelderman, Kruijswijk (if he stays) aren't going to be forced to work for a Spaniard on a Dutch team.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:
@lenric
You just excluded the three teams that have been mentioned the most. Trek, Etixx and Lampre.
I don't see why you would exclude those teams yet include LottoJumbo :eek:

If you re-read my post, you'd see that I explained why I excluded them. Lack of money/different objectives.
And that isn't the case for LottoJumbo? Their budget is lower than either Trek's or Lampre's and both of those teams have allegedly contacted Alberto, so clearly they want to sign him and don't have other objectives. And their budgets are high enough to afford a 2 or 3mln euro contract for Alberto. Trek now have Cancellara on their payroll, who'll retire, so that'll free up some money and Trek (the sponsor) really wants Alberto as a brand ambassador so they may offer some additional money to sign him, just like Specialized did when Alberto signed for Saxo.
Lampre's budget really isn't low and since Merida owns a part of Specialized, so might want to keep them on "their" bikes and also offer some money

Edit: and I forgot to add LottoJumbo have nearly nothing to offer in terms of climbing support. Gesink, Kelderman, Kruijswijk (if he stays) aren't going to be forced to work for a Spaniard on a Dutch team.

It's frustrating to have you answer my posts without reading them.
If you have read what I wrote, you would have seen that I classified Lotto Jumbo as one of the possibilities regarding GT teams, but wrote right afterwards that it would hardly happen, since they don't have the money to afford Contador, and in the end I said that he'll either end up in a new team, or in Cannondale/Katusha.

Stop answering my posts without having read them and start answering them only after reading them.

lenric said:
It's frustrating to have you answer my posts without reading them.
If you have read what I wrote, you would have seen that I classified Lotto Jumbo as one of the possibilities regarding GT teams, but wrote right afterwards that it would hardly happen, since they don't have the money to afford Contador, and in the end I said that he'll either end up in a new team, or in Cannondale/Katusha.

Stop answering my posts without having read them and start answering them only after reading them.
It just confuses me that you exclude two teams that would be near perfect fits with plenty of climbing support, have a big enough budget and have also expressed interest in him, yet include a team that would never be interested in him and doesn't have a big enough budget anyway.
I thought you were trying to figure out which team Alberto would likely sign for. In that case, it makes zero, and I mean absolutely downright zero, sense to exclude Lampre, Trek and even Etixx.
You wrote:

Doing a simple exercise, let's exclude the teams that are highly doubtful that would want/can hire him

Well, I can tell you, that both Lampre and Trek want and can hire him. LottoJumbo does not want to hire him nor can hire him. ;)

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Froome fans say Contador is over the top well might be a little bit over the top but he still does this to everyone in the peleton, even tho hes not at his peak of his career his still the best in the peleton says a lot doesnt it?.. Legend no other word to describe him no matter if you like or hate him a true legend!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I bet you that many people were waiting to make fun of us for hyping this up!

Easy, this is made for him.

Been 6 years since he won in france on the WT level.

Finally in yellow again.

TRENDING THREADS