• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1548 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LeSensei said:
The man had a broken calf and several wounds on his thigh and still decided to ride. No wonder he had fever that last day, his body was so demolished it couldnt handle all that effort. This makes me so proud of supporting him. He is a real fighter, never gives up until the end.

People who critiziced him for faking "illness" should feel ashamed of themselves, I doubt they could even walk with those injuries and the man withstanded 3 mountain stages and finished above people like Pinot. Does anyone HONESTLY think his rivals had a single chance against a man who is capable of making it to the top 20-30 with his legs broken???

I think statements such as this is why a lot of people are very sceptic of his fans and as a result, trying to oppose the sometimes extreme views presented in this thread. And thats just the top of the iceberg.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Please, let's be serious. His wounds were arguably worse than those in 2014 and he still kept riding and finished among the first 20 - all of those healthy. People have to realise the strength and the gift this man has.

@Piti I think you misunderstood that last phrase. It was meant in an ironic way - you could say I am pretty butthurt that he's been casted out of the Tour when arriving in top form yet again.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Pantani Attacks said:
LOL I wonder will the same idiots calling him a quitter a few days ago still plague this forum with their drivel upon hearing the doctor confirming two leg breaks. Some people aren't worth the chair they sit on.
Source? All the websites I've read say it's two torn muscles, not two broken bones.

Yes it is torn, people were 'translating' incorrectly the first article that came out.

So, Alberto basically raced for over 1000 km or whatever with torn calf muscles/hamstring injuries? Good God, these pro-riders are made of something else. But soft tissue injuries can take longer than breaks to heal, so he's not out of the woods yet. I just hope he can heal in time for the Vuelta. The Olympics, I could honestly not give a toss about.

Re:

LeSensei said:
Please, let's be serious. His wounds were arguably worse than those in 2014 and he still kept riding and finished among the first 20 - all of those healthy. People have to realise the strength and the gift this man has.

@Piti I think you misunderstood that last phrase. It was meant in an ironic way - you could say I am pretty butthurt that he's been casted out of the Tour when arriving in top form yet again.

Got you then. Unfortunate that he crashed out in '16 and especially '14 so we couldn't determine his true level instead of '11, '13 and '15 where he might as well had crashed out early and focused on the Vuelta.

Re:

LeSensei said:

Stop with the non-sense fanboy. If the injuries he sustained in this Tour were worse than the one he got in 2014, he'd abandon immediately.

markene2 said:
jyhjyh said:
perico said:
Official. Interesting that there is another mystery rider undisclosed included.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-signs-with-trek-segafredo-on-tour-de-france-rest-day/

Could be Michael Valgren.
He told to Danish TV2 'I have almost signed a contract with a big team,
where I will be allowed my own chance'

I would guess Astana, he would co lead the classics with Luts.

More likely to be Sky sadly.

lenric said:
LeSensei said:

Stop with the non-sense fanboy. If the injuries he sustained in this Tour were worse than the one he got in 2014, he'd abandon immediately.

This. Though I don't think it is reasonable to downplay the nature of his injuries or the impact on his performance (not suggesting that you are doing such a thing lenric), which surely some detractors will want to do (given their views on his 2014 injuries). I hope he recovers enough for the Vuelta. As Electress mentioned, recovering from soft tissue (in this case torn muscles) can take much longer to heal than fractures. He won't be able to return to riding to strenuously without risk of re-tearing the muscle.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Angliru said:
Kokoso said:
Angliru said:
To test himself at the point in the stage that he did opened up the end of the stage for Kreuziger, Majka and Sagan to ride their races once he ultimately did pull out of the race. Waiting till the end would have compromised the future prospects of their three remaining principle riders
What? How he opened end of stage for others?

If he waited till the end of the stage to drop out, it would have left the team (or part of the team) working for him, supporting him. Dropping out when he did allowed the 3 riders I mentioned to ride the rest of the stage without having to compromise their own interests for Contador.
Majka needed almost nobody, same goes for Sagan, they were on attack. So you have Kreuziger who was helped by Sagan lately in the race and there was nothing with before that. So no.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Kokoso said:
ninjadriver said:
[

In my opinion, KOKOSO, professional cycling principally is about money, not gratitude.
I am know that but you obviously did not read previous post otherwise you would know that.
Kreuziger wasn't riding against team orders, his radio wasn not working, we know that.

I heard repeated interviews, including with the DS of Tinkoff on The Telegraph Cycling Podcast, that Kreuziger expressly went against team orders, not that he was unaware of team orders.

And obviously I don't go back and read every single post. I was replying to the post of yours to which I applied. Obviously.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
According to the CN article he has "“multiple contusions, a hamstring injury grade two on the vastus intermedius muscle in his left thigh, an additional hamstring injury on the same leg, and bruises on the left shoulder and the deltoid right thigh."

So bruises, hamstring partial rupture on the vastus mediatus (what???) hamstring injury on the same leg, bruises on the left shoulder and deltoid right thigh (since when people have shoulder on right thigh?). Are you kidding me? Either doctor or journalist did pretty bad work.

„There was one rider who disregarded team orders and decided on his own to go for the overall.“

So he's out of the Tour and this time says there was one rider on stage five who desobeyed team orders after he said it was Kreuziger before... :) He's out of the Tour now, obviusly with injuries that were too serios to carry on and still he calls out Kreuziger (yeah I know, this time he hide the name as "one rider who desobeyed") who has worked for him loyally three or more than three years, because of five or what seconds. And that's his reward. I don't get it.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

ninjadriver said:
Kokoso said:
I heard repeated interviews, including with the DS of Tinkoff on The Telegraph Cycling Podcast, that Kreuziger expressly went against team orders, not that he was unaware of team orders.

And obviously I don't go back and read every single post. I was replying to the post of yours to which I applied. Obviously.
I've heard that too. But the team orders were given by radio. Of course Kreuziger did not hear them when radio was not working. I've heard expressively Kreuziger saying that radio wasn't working and you probably too. So what now?

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Alright then, I wont argue about the severity of the injuries in comparison to 2014. But obviously something went terribly wrong here.

How come the team decided he wouldnt get some x rays after the crash, how come nobody notice he was badly injured. If they indeed believed he was okay why didnt the team trust him for the GC?
Tinkoff has either lied to everyone, Alberto included or just played complete stupid.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
LeSensei said:

Got you then. Unfortunate that he crashed out in '16 and especially '14 so we couldn't determine his true level instead of '11, '13 and '15 where he might as well had crashed out early and focused on the Vuelta.

I dont like Quintana but I dont wish for him to crash out of any race. I wish for him to be a bit more brave, thats all. :rolleyes:

LeSensei said:
Valv.Piti said:
LeSensei said:

I dont like Quintana but I dont wish for him to crash out of any race. I wish for him to be a bit more brave, thats all. :rolleyes:

In '11 and '15 he Won the Giro...boy some folks like to ignore such relevant things. Really do you think the 2011 Giro one of the hardest in history didn't take something out of him? 2015 Giro he basically beat Astana juggernaut almost single handedly. But some people can't give him any credit for valiant top 5 finishes in both those Tours after those Giros. Instead say 'he might as well had crashed out early and focused on the Vuelta.' It is astonishing, frankly.

Beech Mtn said:
jyhjyh said:
perico said:
Official. Interesting that there is another mystery rider undisclosed included.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-signs-with-trek-segafredo-on-tour-de-france-rest-day/

Could be Michael Valgren.
He told to Danish TV2 'I have almost signed a contract with a big team,
where I will be allowed my own chance'

It's my guess that Valgren will go to Sky.

Bert's mystery second rider: I believe it will be Dani Navarro.

Both those moves would be quite disappointing to me :(

Carols said:
LeSensei said:
Valv.Piti said:
LeSensei said:

In '11 and '15 he Won the Giro...boy some folks like to ignore such relevant things. Really do you think the 2011 Giro one of the hardest in history didn't take something out of him? 2015 Giro he basically beat Astana juggernaut almost single handedly. But some people can't give him any credit for valiant top 5 finishes in both those Tours after those Giros. Instead say 'he might as well had crashed out early and focused on the Vuelta.' It is astonishing, frankly.

Oh give me a break Carols. Seriously.

Read the post again. All I say its unlucky that he crashed in those two years he had prepared himself the best instead of the others year were, for various reasons, he didn't perform. I obviously know he won the Giro both years, in 2011 in very dominant fashion, but that wasn't the point at all. I don't know why you bring it up, I'm not hating. Is it possible for you guys not to jump the gun every time? I think what I said is what every Contador-fan has felt; why he crashed when he was good and didn't when he was mediocre (for his standards, please, I don't discredit a 5th place - but for a rider like Contador, it isn't much to be proud of, EVEN with a Giro in his legs).

Valv.Piti said:
Carols said:
LeSensei said:
Valv.Piti said:
LeSensei said:

Oh give me a break Carols. Seriously.

Read the post again. All I say its unlucky that he crashed in those two years he had prepared himself the best instead of the others year were, for various reasons, he didn't perform. I obviously know he won the Giro both years, in 2011 in very dominant fashion, but that wasn't the point at all. I don't know why you bring it up, I'm not hating. Is it possible for you guys not to jump the gun every time? I think what I said is what every Contador-fan has felt; why he crashed when he was good and didn't when he was mediocre (for his standards, please, I don't discredit a 5th place - but for a rider like Contador, it isn't much to be proud of, EVEN with a Giro in his legs).

Ignore list attained

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
So. Any idea or rumors what Vuelta prep is gonna look like? I think this time he actually has time to ride a race.
Would be nice if he rides Burgos...I dont see any other race as a possibility.

Im more interested in his post vuelta schedule.I really want Milano-Torino and il Lombardia :)

TRENDING THREADS