• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1724 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
I think Contador's relentless agression is often mistaken for tactical accumen. But then sometimes he finds the spot where nobody expects it, and he decides the outcome of a Grand Tour.
As you say, I don't think he's a tactical mastermind. He just has big balls and tries tactics that others don't dare to try.

I think that's true. He takes bigger risks. Sometimes it works like in the 2012 Vuelta and sometimes it doesn't. It's impossible for him to change now to being someone who conserves their losses and only targets certain stages. The cadence and acceleration is not what it used to be and maybe also now he can't do in a three week race what he can do in a one week race. Sometimes it's hard to say like in last year's Vuelta when he went into the race under an injury cloud. The 2015 Giro was probably the last time he looked strong over three weeks even though Landa was out climbing him on some stages.

F***, F***, F***. 2 seconds :mad: But what a show! I'm glad he still has the panache, bravery and stamina to go from 52km+ out to try to take it all. This is why he'll always be remembered in the annuals of the sport as a great champion while the winner of one PN will be soon forgotten.

EDIT: Removed winners name.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Great ride by him. If he didn't start from the back like he has been in the last years, he would have won this one. I don't get the two breakaway didn't even want to help. It's not like Martin can topple Henao. Another single seconds lost. That's hurt. Again. Hope Catalunya he won't lost too much time at the beginning, so he doesn't have to keep chasing like crazy. He showed a good form so far. But like last year, sky got the better of him. Again.

Another great ride.

If people had learnt not to look at results alone, they'd never have suggested he should have retired.

Once gain, he loses a race due to back luck. It'll happen again for the reminder of the season, but you'll still have people saying he should quit because they can't takethe good things out of moments like this.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
It's been obvious to me for a while that Berto needs things to go his way to win the Tour. Quintana racing the Giro prior to the Tour is a start. Berto needs to be lucky with Froome slightly off his best form or crashing (not saying I want him to crash). Berto has to avoid crashing and stupid time loss and stay as close to Froome as possible, waiting for a moment of weakness. If he can somehow work over Froome anything is possible. I wouldn't immediately rate Berto below Porte, Bardet, Chaves and a tired Quintana. He could definitely beat all of them if he encounters no issues.

As has been said above he needs to measure his efforts more. Of course we'd all like him to stick to Froome and Porte's wheel on the first MTF but it's not realistic. He can't afford to lose minutes on the first MTF again. Pacing himself he can limit his losses but I'm not sure he'll be able to change his attitude, he's a true racer. So I guess we'll see one or two spectacular implosions from him in July :p hopefully they'll happen with the finish inside so the damage will be minimal ;)

What I'm trying to say is, he isn't without chance. Only Froome is without a doubt stronger than him, so he needs to race smartly, bide his time and hope for the best.

Don't forget that Froome is backed by very strong team. Without strong sky team mate, contador will have more chances again Froome. Last year Vuelta, when all the sky dom out of the picture, it's hard for Froome to do it himself. Unfortunately with degenkolb needed man for his sprint, Contador will again got less helper. But Pantano shows a good promised to be his final lieutenant. I agree that, Contador can win the tour if all the stars are lining up. Quintana will be tired for Giro. But other climber like Porte is in the raise, and he has shown he can climb with Froome. Contador can't start from the back foot with all silly time loss. In his heydays, he rarely lost too much time on silly thing. (like echelon, crashes etc.) If he can stay upright, that's a great start for him.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
F***, F***, F***. 2 seconds :mad: But what a show! I'm glad he still has the panache, bravery and stamina to go from 52km+ out to try to take it all. This is why he'll always be remembered in the annuals of the sport as a great champion while Henao winning one PN will be soon forgotten.

Why handing a sneer to Henao? He fought really hard to win this PN. When he was dropped with 50 km to go, i thought his chances were zero to win this bike race anymore. Hats off to him that he was able to turn things around.

No need to downplay his riding to upgrading Alberto's riding. Both did a tremendous job. Lovely stage!