• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1738 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jelantik said:
Seeing how Valverde was pedalling, Contador looked really spent. He seemed to be on his limit. It can't be the age thing, considering Valverde is older than Contador. I'm a bit disappointed, compare to Froome who just started his first race in Europe (as oppose to Contador), his form is still below Froome. I don't know how much he can improve, to be quiet honest. He typically has a good from on his first season. His last race will be Paisco before he takes holiday.

I wonder when he said his number his high, how high is the upper threshold that he can hold for longer time? I watched Froome reeled him by spinning his leg, he must already pass his threshold and stay there for long time, to still manage to have a kick.

What's so surprising ? It's been a while since Contador was top mountain goat. Valverde had extra motivation in this race after the TTT and he has to be in form for the upcoming classics so he would be expected to be ahead of Contador at this stage anyway.

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
I also think Berto's age is showing. He has really turned into a diesel climber. On the other hand, his numbers are still very high. Maybe he's just unlucky that the others have stepped up their game as well.
sounds perfect for the Sky train :lol:
What do you mean?

I'm guessing james meant that Contador could become a quality domestique for Froome :cool:

Re:

Jelantik said:
Seeing how Valverde was pedalling, Contador looked really spent. He seemed to be on his limit. It can't be the age thing, considering Valverde is older than Contador. I'm a bit disappointed, compare to Froome who just started his first race in Europe (as oppose to Contador), his form is still below Froome. I don't know how much he can improve, to be quiet honest. He typically has a good from on his first season. His last race will be Paisco before he takes holiday.

I wonder when he said his number his high, how high is the upper threshold that he can hold for longer time? I watched Froome reeled him by spinning his leg, he must already pass his threshold and stay there for long time, to still manage to have a kick.
Eh? Every rider is different. I can assure you, it most certainly is an age thing.

spiritualride said:
LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
I also think Berto's age is showing. He has really turned into a diesel climber. On the other hand, his numbers are still very high. Maybe he's just unlucky that the others have stepped up their game as well.
sounds perfect for the Sky train :lol:
What do you mean?

I'm guessing james meant that Contador could become a quality domestique for Froome :cool:
:rolleyes:

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:

Eh? Every rider is different. I can assure you, it most certainly is an age thing.

Ignore the two Movistar riders out and everything looks like it is supposed to look like, just saying

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Based on current performances i think he will be good come july. Dauphine will be a good check
Well problem is be good in July only means be maybe with luck in Top 15(but of course first he has to stay on the bike).

Berto's boys, the Polartec U23 team are racing the Tour de Normandie this week. Nice to get some experience under the belt at a high level, racing against Conti and even some Pro Conti teams. Especially Diego Sevilla is doing really well, he's 13th in GC, definitely one to watch :)

Re:

Red Rick said:
Yea I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better if he skipped Pais Vasco
No no no
He could win it for a record 5th time, even if he doesn't succeed it would be stupid to throw away that opportunity. He has 2 months to rest after that.
Not sure how rhubroma concluded he is fatigued considering the man himself hasn't said anything to that extent.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
No no no
He could win it for a record 5th time, even if he doesn't succeed it would be stupid to throw away that opportunity. He has 2 months to rest after that.
Not sure how rhubroma concluded he is fatigued considering the man himself hasn't said anything to that extent.

PN was extremely demanding, echelons, bad weather, starting on the back foot and thus needing to dig too deep to make up time. And he wouldn't tell his rivals. What is the tactical benefit?

rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
No no no

PN was extremely demanding, echelons, bad weather, starting on the back foot and thus needing to dig too deep to make up time. And he wouldn't tell his rivals. What is the tactical benefit?
Sure he feels it in his legs but to just flat out say he's "fatigued".. I don't think he's fatigued, Paris-Nice may have taken a bigger toll on his body than normal which might be why he seems to be at a slightly lower level here than usual.

TRENDING THREADS