• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1750 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
He needs a couple of healthy training and racing months before the Tour to have any chance for a podium.
He's so underrated. I understand he hasn't podiumed a TDF since 2010 but if he doesn't crash he has a very good chance to finish on the podium. "Have any chance for a podium"? Don't make me laugh. If Froome crashes out and he does not, he's likely the #1 fave for the win. There, I said it.

Maybe you should learn some English comprehension. What did I say ? Contador has to avoid crashes and be healthy going into the Tour to have any chance. I am saying if he is healthy he has a chance. If you think he can be unhealthy and win the Tour what has happened since 2010 ? And he was healthy in 2013 and got blown off the road. How could Contador be underrated with his record but to admit he is the same rider that was dominating in 2007-2011 or even close to that is delusional.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Once again: his form at the Dauphiné has to be reasonably good, his performance doesn't have to be because he might take it easy.
And you seriously believe that a ruthless competitor such as Contador will do that?
It's what he aims to do, he said it will be hard though.
I don't believe for one second he will let himself get dropped when Froome will go or Poels is setting a high tempo. But okay, I can never prove that really if/when he gets dropped.

By the way, as it stands right now, Contador is a relatively distant 4th for Tour de France.

Netserk said:
It's more the opposite. He probably won't go bananas and attack three climbs out in the first half of the stage, unlike last year.

I think he'll be more relaxed, while ofc still riding fast at the end of the stages.
So he won't drop because he is afraid to go deep on the last MTF - just don't do everything in his might to win? That sounds more reasonable.

movingtarget said:
LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
He needs a couple of healthy training and racing months before the Tour to have any chance for a podium.
He's so underrated. I understand he hasn't podiumed a TDF since 2010 but if he doesn't crash he has a very good chance to finish on the podium. "Have any chance for a podium"? Don't make me laugh. If Froome crashes out and he does not, he's likely the #1 fave for the win. There, I said it.

Maybe you should learn some English comprehension. What did I say ? Contador has to avoid crashes and be healthy going into the Tour to have any chance. I am saying if he is healthy he has a chance. If you think he can be unhealthy and win the Tour what has happened since 2010 ? And he was healthy in 2013 and got blown off the road. How could Contador be underrated with his record but to admit he is the same rider that was dominating in 2007-2011 or even close to that is delusional.
Sorry, English isn't my first language as you know so maybe I misunderstood but you wrote he needs a couple of healthy training and racing months to have any chance for a podium, which to me reads like you believe even if things go right his chance for a podium is only minimal or only if he is well prepared, he has a chance to finish on the podium. I'd say with the right preparation he has a very good chance at a podium.

I think he will try as hard as he can to win the Dauphine, particularly if Froome will be a in a contester position.
It strikes me as really odd for a guy like Contador not trying to win the Dauphine, especially if that means defeating Froome, because it will probably be (unless he wins Pais Vasco) his first (and quite probably only) win of the season. Not only that, but it would increase his confidence.

He hasn't beaten Froome fair and square since 2014. In fact, 2014 was the only year when Contador was arguably considered THE GT rider of the season (post-ban).

He will ride Dauphine as hard as he can if he feels he can win it, otherwise there will be more excuses. And pretending not to acknowledge this is, in itself, ridiculous.

About this thread, the majority of Contador's fanboys are laughable and the proof was last year's Vuelta, when he performed subpar against riders who already had one GT in their legs... yet, excuses were made.

While being a fan of cycling (thus my "liking" of Contador, thought nearly not as much as until 2014), it's sad to see so much people being ridiculously biased towards a rider (who has a hard time at dealing with defeats) and reading posts from moderators fawning them.

Re:

lenric said:
I think he will try as hard as he can to win the Dauphine, particularly if Froome will be a in a contester position.
It strikes me as really odd for a guy like Contador not trying to win the Dauphine, especially if that means defeating Froome, because it will probably be (unless he wins Pais Vasco) his first (and quite probably only) win of the season. Not only that, but it would increase his confidence.

He hasn't beaten Froome fair and square since 2014. In fact, 2014 was the only year when Contador was arguably considered THE GT rider of the season (post-ban).

He will ride Dauphine as hard as he can if he feels he can win it, otherwise there will be more excuses. And pretending not to acknowledge this is, in itself, ridiculous.

About this thread, the majority of Contador's fanboys are laughable and the proof was last year's Vuelta, when he performed subpar against riders who already had one GT in their legs... yet, excuses were made.

While being a fan of cycling (thus my "liking" of Contador, thought nearly not as much as until 2014), it's sad to see so much people being ridiculously biased towards a rider (who has a hard time at dealing with defeats) and reading posts from moderators fawning them.
Great post. Contador absolutely should try his best to win the Dauphine; it would be his biggest win for two years since the 2015 Giro - and it could mess with Sky's preparation and aura of invincibility if Contador puts Froome into some difficulty.

Also, very good point about the fanboys derailing this thread. It seems well overdue to me to create a separate Contador Appreciation thread, distinct to the discussion thread. The fanboys can then fawn over him without problem, and the rest of us can objectively discuss the strengths and weaknesses of one of the most interesting riders in the peloton - without having to go through the same circular arguments and defensiveness every time there is any kind of criticism of him.