• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1959 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

bob.a.feet said:
hrotha said:
bob.a.feet said:
Contador is the perfect example of how riders like Quintana or Chaves who can't TT should race.
Chaves has done some great ballsy riders in the past - he's almost our only hope.
Aru is very aggressive but also wildly inconsistent.

I think Dumoulin should be a beacon of hope if we're purely talking about Sky vs the field. He'd likely reverse the dynamics of Froome only needing to defend in the mountains.

However, Sunweb are building a very strong mountain train as well, and I honestly hope it won't end up the same way.

Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
hrotha said:
bob.a.feet said:
Contador is the perfect example of how riders like Quintana or Chaves who can't TT should race.
Chaves has done some great ballsy riders in the past - he's almost our only hope.

I think Dumoulin should be a beacon of hope if we're purely talking about Sky vs the field. He'd likely reverse the dynamics of Froome only needing to defend in the mountains.

However, Sunweb are building a very strong mountain train as well, and I honestly hope it won't end up the same way.

Can you imagine how boring the Giro would have been if Kelderman had not fallen?
Plus the mountain support Kelderman has had the past few stages was pretty impressive. Oomen and Barguil were out, and he still had 3 man pulling for him on the Angliru today, in a group of 20, containing already 6 Sky.

Scary if all that went to the Tour.

Yeah, no, I'm not talking purely about Sky vs the field, I'm talking about providing a good racing spectacle regardless of who wins. Dumoulin is important mostly because he can force others to race, but even that didn't happen at this year's Giro.

As for Aru, he's certainly more aggressive than many, but I think people overrate his aggressiveness.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
hrotha said:
bob.a.feet said:

Can you imagine how boring the Giro would have been if Kelderman had not fallen?
Plus the mountain support Kelderman has had the past few stages was pretty impressive. Oomen and Barguil were out, and he still had 3 man pulling for him on the Angliru today, in a group of 20, containing already 6 Sky.

Scary if all that went to the Tour.
If Kelderman had not fallen Dumoulin might have lost the Giro to Thomas or Landa lol.

But yeah. I honestly think Dumoulin could've won this Vuelta if he wouldn't have a day like on Piancavallo. Especially if it's true he was ligther during Eneco than during the Giro.

Whatever. We'll see. Dumoulin will no doubt come back to the Vuelta one day.

Re:

Lequack said:
Amazing from Alberto Contador, he made this race that's for sure, and almost any race he's been in. He will be greatly missed. This is the image he posted before today's stage, what a rider:

QM4PSE6.png

Source: https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/906477160055144448

Hope we get to see him back in this sport in one way or another, if not as a rider then as something else.
As do I! Simply because I am selfish and would miss him too much if he disappeared off the radar completely :(

Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
hrotha said:
bob.a.feet said:

A train vs train TdF would be cool but after that I hope for no more trains. If Sky are like USPS then we have one more year of Sky followed by six years of really good TdF's, but then of course 7 more years of another team dominating. I'm thinking this time it will be the Aussies

I know no one cares about my personal
Situation but it's been such a *** few years all my favourite riders hav gone out. Evans and basso and with scarponi dying I was in tears when Alberto was flying up that mountain. I'm not a Froome man but a congratulations to him acknowledging Contador the entire way, he knows if Contador had the extra 2% it was all on again

Scarponi said:
Situation but it's been such a **** few years all my favourite riders hav gone out. Evans and basso and with scarponi dying I was in tears when Alberto was flying up that mountain. I'm not a Froome man but a congratulations to him acknowledging Contador the entire way, he knows if Contador had the extra 2% it was all on again
Thank you for sharing your 'personal' :)

LaFlorecita said:
Scarponi said:
Situation but it's been such a **** few years all my favourite riders hav gone out. Evans and basso and with scarponi dying I was in tears when Alberto was flying up that mountain. I'm not a Froome man but a congratulations to him acknowledging Contador the entire way, he knows if Contador had the extra 2% it was all on again
Thank you for sharing your 'persnal' :)
We couldn't have been further away with me in Australia and you in Europe but when I started this sport I was 160kg rugby union prop and I've learned to love the boys and your posts about Contador. The next few years will be interesting !

TRENDING THREADS