• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1960 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Let's drink together

Yes it's sad but we should be happy he ends his career on a high note :) it could have been much sadder
I will miss him and hope he doesn't disappear :( but we have so many great memories, I am getting a photo album printed with images of the best moments in his career :) he gave me a few more to add to the last page :)

DJTeEzSW0AAwJ8N

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Inquitus said:
Based on his Vuelta performance, his GT credentials are still good, esp for the Giro and the Vuelta, he might not have what it takes to win the TDF right now, but this seems like he is being forced into an undeserved and early retirement when he still has plenty to offer. But for the Andorra day when he was sick, it would have been a 3 way battle between him, Nibali and Froome for the GC.
I don't think he is being forced into anything, he seems happy to say goodbye. I think he wants to enjoy life after cycling.

I think he may have been ...but now its a done thing

Also look up statistics...alot of pros do not enjoy life after cycling...

They dont get the same highs, they miss the racing and their team mates ...
Especially of they were very focused on cycling ...

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
I have to say I had lost interest in racing this season . Seeing what seemed to me a fading Bertie I have not been following the sport has I used to. Let's be honest the tour has become a bore. I was slowly reeled back in during this vuelta. Bertie's form as been outstanding . His relentless attacks day after day have made this a race to remember. I expected him to lose big time. But instead he has been in the best form since 2014. I can't believe how he has recovered and then lit this race up . Just outstanding . The strongest rider/climber by a long way. I'd love to see him carry on next year if can hit this sort of form but with some strong team mates. He would decimate the Sky train. But it's perhaps best that he ends like this a great champion and this vuelta will be remembered for his flair and attacking style. The best rider I have ever seen and the only rider who can put sky to the sword it's 1 man vs a whole team and he beats them ...legend

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
I'm drinking too much and it's only 9pm :(
So sad.

Cheers! You're not the only one drinking :D

This day was so emotional. All the greatness, the last fantastic glimpses of his glory, getting closer to the end of cycling's past and the beginning of future, where perhaps no GTs will be worth to watch.

I'll miss him :cry: He gave us so much...

HelloDolly said:

Alberto knows there is a world outside cycling and a life after cycling and he is looking forward to enjoying it to the fullest - he'll get to spend more time with his wife, family and dogs, and he'll stay active in cycling :)
Of course he will miss the competitive aspect but he gets so much in return for giving that up - he'll finally be free to do what he wants.

Look at Purito - he seems very happy :) I don't think we'll have to worry about Alberto

What a ride. So happy for him. Deserved the win, shame for the problems on the first mountain stage, he would have been very dangerous for the GC. But whatever, he went with a bang, wishing him all the best in life after cycling. The most exciting rider and one of the most exciting athletes in my lifetime.

Gracias Alberto

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
Inquitus said:
Based on his Vuelta performance, his GT credentials are still good, esp for the Giro and the Vuelta, he might not have what it takes to win the TDF right now, but this seems like he is being forced into an undeserved and early retirement when he still has plenty to offer. But for the Andorra day when he was sick, it would have been a 3 way battle between him, Nibali and Froome for the GC.
I don't think he is being forced into anything, he seems happy to say goodbye. I think he wants to enjoy life after cycling.

I must point out that there are no statistics regarding how much pros enjoy life after cycling. That was a violation of the real meaning of the word.

Ruby United said:
HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
Inquitus said:

I must point out that there are no statistics regarding how much pros enjoy life after cycling. That was a violation of the real meaning of the word.

Here is one man's thoughts.
Jens Voigt on retirement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31I3L6luTfY

Ruby United said:
HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
Inquitus said:

Ok statistics is the wrong word....

but anecdotal evidence ...so many get depressed and unable to get the same highs and feeling after cycling
And the 'I have my family and other persuits'....doesnt always work
Just think about it ...every day of your adult life has had one goal to race or train to race and suddenly that is over ....no wonder so many find it hard to adapt

sorry to rain on the party but this is a fact ...and the higher the role cycling played befroe retirement the harder it is to adapt after retirement

Oh I am sure it will be very different for him
But I think it helps that he's going now while he's still strong... he didn't HAVE to retire but chose to - clearly he thought about it very well, he wants to enjoy life now

Of course I don't doubt he'll miss cycling but I think this makes it a little different

TRENDING THREADS