• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2007 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Koronin said:
Here's a link for an interview with Alberto. It's in Spanish. There's a brief part that is written. The video isn't available in all countries, so whoever can watch it, here's the link.
https://video.eurosport.es/ciclismo/contador-en-eurosport-la-caida-que-hizo-que-alberto-decidiese-retirarse-definitivamente_vid1176728/video.shtml

Google transblate
The last Tour I finished it very strong, but hey, the fall of the 9th stage was the one that made me make the final decision.
I had 98% clear that I had offers on the table.
But my brother said to [me]: 'Make up something to delay the signing, I do not want to sign until the end of the Tour'. You had to start thinking about a change of life, enjoy the bike in a more relaxed way ".
I think it translates as 'I said to me brother' :p

I've noticed on social media that Alberto has taken an interest in the Cape Epic MTB race in South Africa, amongst others Purito is participating at the moment. Fleche seems to be tempting him to participate next year ;) we'll see

Re:

VayaVayaVaya said:
Remember when AC crushed the Mortirolo stage in 2015 despite a mechanical?

Started the climb 1:30 down due to teams attacking the pink jersey stopped with a mechanical and caught them on the way up. Stunning ride! He did pay for it on the Finestra though. Yikes this peloton needs a Contador! But Legends only come around every few decades.

Carols said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

Started the climb 1:30 down due to teams attacking the pink jersey stopped with a mechanical and caught them on the way up. Stunning ride! He did pay for it on the Finestra though. Yikes this peloton needs a Contador! But Legends only come around every few decades.
Not only caught them but he attacked them to bridge to Krujiswk

Scarponi said:
Carols said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

After the Giro is over I'll go watch that ride again :)

Carols said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

When Contador attacked on stage 18 for revenge when Landa was caught behind us another favourite from that race

Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

When Contador attacked on stage 18 for revenge when Landa was caught behind us another favourite from that race
That was so f*cking bad a*s. Attacking with 50k to go or something like that, although you have a huge lead and want to ride the tour in one month, not even with the stage win up for grabs, just for the sake of sticking it to a team which attacked when you had a mechanical. That stage so perfectly sums up Contador's mindset and why so many people like him

Gigs_98 said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
[quote="

That was so f*cking bad a*s. Attacking with 50k to go or something like that, although you have a huge lead and want to ride the tour in one month, not even with the stage win up for grabs, just for the sake of sticking it to a team which attacked when you had a mechanical. That stage so perfectly sums up Contador's mindset and why so many people like him
My favorite petty attack, together with Nibali specifically going after Horner on Hautacam just to roflstomp him.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Is the 'Contador alert' on Eurosport a continuing feature or was it just a special thing that ES did for the Mortirolo stage the other Day?
He was only present at the Giro for a day or two. Last year they had a couple as well. I don't remember which GT it was but he did the post-race show with Flecha for a big part in one of them so we had several 'Contador alerts' as well.

Berto was amazing on that stage, even stronger than on Angliru. It was and still is a shame he couldn't win there. Of course this win on paper doesn't mean much at all.
But, if he had won on Los Machucos, his Angliru win would have been nowhere near as emotional as it was now.

I saw on wiki that because of this he has moved up to 4th because of an increase in time bonus from "winning" the Machucos stage instead of finishing 2nd. Would the GC also be modified to accommodate that? Not that it really matters in reality, but I got curious.
EDIT: Quick calculation, he would be 4th at +3'14'', 1 sec. ahead of Wilco

Re:

Simurgh said:
I saw on wiki that because of this he has moved up to 4th because of an increase in time bonus from "winning" the Machucos stage instead of finishing 2nd. Would the GC also be modified to accommodate that? Not that it really matters in reality, but I got curious.
EDIT: Quick calculation, he would be 4th at +3'14'', 1 sec. ahead of Wilco

I'm not sure, but on a similar note I know when he was stripped of 2011 Tour someone here asked if they would adjust the mountain classification which A. Schleck would have won but they did not. I don't think I have ever seen the time bonuses applied after the fact.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto was amazing on that stage, even stronger than on Angliru. It was and still is a shame he couldn't win there. Of course this win on paper doesn't mean much at all.
But, if he had won on Los Machucos, his Angliru win would have been nowhere near as emotional as it was now.
I think his Angliru win would also have been less likely to happen, had he already secured that stage to Machucos. In hindsight, it might be a good thing he did not win it, since winning on Angliru, the way he did it, is a bigger feat.

TRENDING THREADS