• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
dlwssonic said:
Because contador is the overwhelming favourite. Expected you to believe more in contador.
Who else can challange him???
Andy, Jrod, Anton.
The injured from le tour.

You know, sometimes you just feel it isn't going to work. Just like last year in the Tour, I can't imagine him riding away from Andy in the mountains. I have had this feeling for two years now. I feel like Alberto isn't the climber he used to be. That's also why I don't think he will continue to win races after 2013. I can't see him improving and he will only get worse.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You know, sometimes you just feel it isn't going to work. Just like last year in the Tour, I can't imagine him riding away from Andy in the mountains. I have had this feeling for two years now. I feel like Alberto isn't the climber he used to be. That's also why I don't think he will continue to win races after 2013. I can't see him improving and he will only get worse.

There was a lot of bad luck for alberto in the tour last year and he did a bloody hard giro.
What????
Giro 2011 might be one of his best performances ever.
He will win for a very long time I can ensure you that.
yes but now he is in his peak of his abilities. He will only start getting worse at a later age.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You don't understand it do you? I want Alberto to be the best and not just by 2 seconds.

To be the best, you have to face the best too.
So alberto riding away from all the second tier GT contenders in la vuelta, like Giro 2011, won't mean he is the best.
Going against a top shape andy in the mountains will.

dlwssonic said:
There was a lot of bad luck for alberto in the tour last year and he did a bloody hard giro.
What????
Giro 2011 might be one of his best performances ever.
He will win for a very long time I can ensure you that.
yes but now he is in his peak of his abilities. He will only start getting worse at a later age.

I can't see it happening but that doesn't mean I don't/won't love Alberto anymore.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It can't be good that everyone is putting so much pressure on Alberto. Everyone expects him to win by minutes but no one seems to understand that Alberto is only human and can't live up to such expectations. He could win by 4-5 minutes without Andy but with Andy it won't be by more than a minute. That's also why I'm sad because winning the Vuelta with 30 seconds advantage means nothing.

This really doesn't make any sense Conta-girl.

You would consider a 4 minute win over the likes of some second tier riders a better win than a 30 second win over Andy?

dlwssonic said:
So alberto riding away from all the second tier GT contenders in la vuelta, like Giro 2011, won't mean he is the best.

So there you have it, Giro 2011 means nothing because he raced against second tier riders.

In my opinion Alberto would not have ridden away if his opponents had been Andy, Evans, Sanchez etc. so that only supports my opinion that Alberto isn't good enough to win GTs anymore.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I can't see it happening but that doesn't mean I don't/won't love Alberto anymore.

I don't know why you have suddenly turned so pessimistic overnight.
Alberto is a hugely talented. Probably the most talented of his generation.
I'm sure he will be back to his winning days.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
So there you have it, Giro 2011 means nothing because he raced against second tier riders.

In my opinion Alberto would not have ridden away if his opponents had been Andy, Evans, Sanchez etc. so that only supports my opinion that Alberto isn't good enough to win GTs anymore.

I'm pretty sure alberto is able to ride away from evans and sanchez. Andy isn't a certainty. But still his superiority in the TT will help him get his GT.
In the third week he is as strong as evans in the TT.

LaFlorecita said:

lol. As Ryo would have said. If Nibali can win a gt. Conta can win one with one leg choped off... :D

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

G0LpP.jpg

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I didn't just turn pessimistic overnight. I've had this feeling for a good long while now.

Crash / Injury. These are the only potential factors preventing an AC Vuelta win.

Giro 2011. Do you consider Scarponi, Nibali etc second rate? If he had been slightly better than the rest I might be concerned just now. He was however so many levels above (on virtually every stage).:)

dlwssonic said:
Andy will probably suck at the vuelta.
He has to recover from that injury.

This. He's not going to be on his bike for the next 4-6 weeks. The Vuelta starts in 8 weeks (counting from next Monday). And, before you say he can build his form for the third week. Take a look at the Vuelta course. The 1st week has 4 stages that finish on rated climbs. The 2nd week has a 40KM TT plus 4 stages that finish on rated climbs (3 are in a row). The 3rd week has 2 uphill finishes. This course is better for Andy than the Tour, but I don't think Andy can get his fitness level up to be as competitive as he's been in the TdF. Not after a month or 6 weeks off the bike.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
This. He's not going to be on his bike for the next 4-6 weeks. The Vuelta starts in 8 weeks (counting from next Monday). And, before you say he can build his form for the third week. Take a look at the Vuelta course. The 1st week has 4 stages that finish on rated climbs. The 2nd week has a 40KM TT plus 4 stages that finish on rated climbs (3 are in a row). The 3rd week has 2 uphill finishes. This course is better for Andy than the Tour, but I don't think Andy can get his fitness level up to be as competitive as he's been in the TdF. Not after a month or 6 weeks off the bike.

A good course for Contador :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:

It's not Alberto who's not facing the best. It's Cadel Evans ;)

LaFlorecita said:
If ASO are seriously considering blocking Radioshack (the team of their beloved Andy) from the Tour. Then I think we can be certain they will do everything possible to block Saxobank/Alberto from next few Tours.

What ban Alberto again but this time untill their beloved Andy wins the tour , is that not what they though they had managed to do this year .:D:D

Alina @CrotchEagleTeam
"I'm pretty sure that if Contador can be tied to LA&Hog team doping, he will be and then it might be bye bye bang bang forever."

The Broom Wagon @broomwagonblog
"@CrotchEagleTeam but if it is proven then he should be banned, surely? Clean sport for me is the main issue, not rider names/profiles.

Alina @CrotchEagleTeam
"@broomwagonblog And to me, personally and from a biased PoV, Alberto Contador is more important than all the antidoping fight in the world."

:) :p :)

TRENDING THREADS