• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel is Gold, Jerry, Gold! Men's Classic One-Day Race, April 14, 2024

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Amstel Gold (Men) 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What was going on with Ben Healy? Too much focused on MvdP, probably, until he realized that others were stronger today.
Pidcock was more alert, he realized after Eyserbosweg and still managed to jump to the front. Deserved win, smart race, good tactics and the most explosive from the top group in the end.
Frankly, Healy didn't look convincing already when Van der Poel flew his testing balloon on Gulpenberg!

Including a rider who literally could not have done the race in question?

And is much lesser well-known.
Yes. I don't know what their data entry method is, but it at a guess it involves entering surnames and after a few letters a list of matches appears, and then they sometimes click on the wrong one from the shortlist. I would also guess that they then review the list, perhaps partly by looking at teams, and that is why it's usually corrected fairly soon.

Yes. I don't know what their data entry method is, but it at a guess it involves entering surnames and after a few letters a list of matches appears, and then they sometimes click on the wrong one from the shortlist. I would also guess that they then review the list, perhaps partly by looking at teams, and that is why it's usually corrected fairly soon.

Ah, like when you sometimes click a wrong link because an ad loads, making everything move?

Allegedly there was an attack by Skjelmose and Van Gils on the Keutenberg that successfully gapped the rest of the peloton, but they were caught again on the flat section leading up to Cauberg.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, because in normal races these things would be brought onto your screen.

Over the top of the Keutenberg, the peloton was compact with a feeble attempt by Alexander Kamp. I don't think that matches with what you write there.

Reactions: search
Over the top of the Keutenberg, the peloton was compact with a feeble attempt by Alexander Kamp. I don't think that matches with what you write there.

Maybe it was just after Kamps attack. Caught just before the Cauberg would be pretty weird too cause they showed the Cauberg, Skjelmose attacked there, with Van Gils starting pretty far back in the group and moving up.

They probably attacked somewhere tho. Both were looking at VdP all day. On the Keutenberg images you can see them both sitting in Van der Poels wheel, in like 10th position.

This is what was said, but you are correct. They might have confused it with Geulhemmerberg.

Who said it? Which interview?

EDIT: found some pics of the Keutenberg and indeed a Skjelmose attack with Van Gils in his wheel. Van der Poel closes it down, with Teuns, Jorgensen, Gregoire, Kamp, Van den Berg (I think) and one other guy. (Cosnefroy I think). Behind them a gap on the pictures to the rest. Not sure what happened between these pics and the live images just over the top of the Keutenberg where everything was back together and Kamp attacked. Cause that wouldve been a good group to chase.

Schermafbeelding-2024-04-15-001917.png

Last edited:
TP not overrated chap, it's dense at the top. He somewhat timely manner produces fine acts like challenging VWA on several occasions, coming home 6th in RR WC (in front of eg.MVDP) that was imho quite harsh race, his Tour stage win aso. He's in very difficult narrow point going for gc life, too skinny for that imho. Or staying as a one day racer, almost too skinny for that too. But he's done some fine acts in between.

Reactions: Keldergoat
Allegedly there was an attack by Skjelmose and Van Gils on Keutenberg that successfully gapped the rest of the peloton, but they were caught again on the flat section leading up to Cauberg.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, because in normal races these things would be brought onto your screen.
The camera production was very low of this race. Thanks for info i had high hopes for Van Gils this race, i guess he got caught up in the tactics in the peleton too? No idea how strong he was on the day tho.

It feel like in way i was forced to watch the women race.

Last edited:
Admirable self control from MvDP once he realized he didn't have the legs to drop everyone and bridge solo, to just sit there and do nothing. I think many riders would have gone down swinging, which at this late stage in his spring season would be a waste of energies. He has definitely cemented not favorite status for Liege, although that's unlikely to help him stay with Pog when the latter goes to town.

Last edited:
Admirable self control from MvDP once he realized he didn't have the legs to drop everyone and bridge solo, to just sit there and do nothing. I think many riders would have gone down swinging, which at this late stage in his spring season would be a waste of energies. He has definitely cemented not favorite status for Liege, although that's unlikely to help him stay with Pog when the latter goes to town.
Everyone wanted a race without him so badly. Now he was kinda absent and apart from Pidcock, Hirschi & Benoot the likes of Skjelmose & Teuns were too focused on MvdP to take their chance.