• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

And Nike, Trek, Oakley's response after all of this?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2012
237
1
0
Visit site
With the announcement today Nike appears to be distancing itself from cycling and becoming more involved with ball sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc.).
 
May 18, 2009
3,757
0
0
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
LOL, agreed. Truth be told, I have several friends who are very good golfers(one's a scratch), and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, has said this to me about Nike golf equipment: "It's garbage! Overpriced, worthless garbage. Why would anyone want to buy golf equipment from a shoe manufacturer?" Besides, Nike just made a prototype of his old Titlelist irons(or was it Mizuno?), so they didn't "make" anything themselves. Folks have bought a copy of a copy.

Your friends are idiots if they actually say this, which I highly doubt. It's just fun to say things with impunity to fit in with the kool kids at the moment.

Nike has very good clubs, especially their irons. Do some searches for reviews. A company like Nike will not ut trash on the street and survive a market with so many choices. And no, I don't use them so don't call me a homer. I use Callaway.

You should stick to something you know about, such as regurgitating clinic talking points. Thanks.
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,482
2
0
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
SRAM has announced that Armstrong no longer owns shares in the company. Armstrong first invested in SRAM roughly contemporaneous with that company's circa-$500 million infusion from Lehman Brothers. SRAM spokesmen said that those shares have been repurchased in anticipation of a public offering.
 
krebs303 said:
SRAM has announced that Armstrong no longer owns shares in the company. Armstrong first invested in SRAM roughly contemporaneous with that company's circa-$500 million infusion from Lehman Brothers. SRAM spokesmen said that those shares have been repurchased in anticipation of a public offering.

That is significant, and almost certainly represents either legal or investment banking advice or both.

Lance is now part of pre-IPO cleanup. Wow.

They clearly are concerned about the need to dodge the embarrassing question "Isn't Lance an owner?" during the dog & pony show.

Dave.
 
Oct 2, 2012
152
1
0
Visit site
krebs303 said:
SRAM has announced that Armstrong no longer owns shares in the company.

And just a reminder, Lance is not just getting dropped from these companies, he's getting bought out. And not necessarily at a discount.

They are paying good money to make him go away quietly.
 
Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
And just a reminder, Lance is not just getting dropped from these companies, he's getting bought out. And not necessarily at a discount.

They are paying good money to make him go away quietly.

The companies that are merely paying him sponsorship money could simply fire him I believe. There must be some sort of misconduct clauses in the contract as with most athletes.
 
Big Daddy said:
Oakley is the only one left I think.

Conspicuously so (Still waiting on Nissan, Johnson Health Tech as well).

Gave them until 9 am PDT to say something before singling them out even though the parent in Italy could have issued something earlier.

The conclusion: Oakley officially supports doping, and notably where it includes a broad conspiracy.

Helps confirm why Stephanie still hasn't changed her story.

Dave.
 
Jul 13, 2009
283
0
0
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Conspicuously so (Still waiting on Nissan, Johnson Health Tech as well).

Gave them until 9 am PDT to say something before singling them out even though the parent in Italy could have issued something earlier.

The conclusion: Oakley officially supports doping, and notably where it includes a broad conspiracy.

Helps confirm why Stephanie still hasn't changed her story.

Dave.

Could it be different for Oakley as they got their health care provider to cover Armstrongs cancer treatment and I seem to remember reading because of that he has effectively been an employee rather than an athlete that they sponsor.
 
Oct 7, 2012
37
0
0
Visit site
Oakley just tweeted the following:

As guilty as the evidence shows, which we completely acknowledge, it is our promise & contractual obligation to stand by our athletes until proven guilty by the highest governing body of sport, or a court of law. We might be last off but we are not going to jump on the bandwagon as it breaks our promise to all of our athletes. We will wait for the UCI's conclusion and act at that time.
 
Oct 8, 2012
237
1
0
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Conspicuously so (Still waiting on Nissan, Johnson Health Tech as well).

Gave them until 9 am PDT to say something before singling them out even though the parent in Italy could have issued something earlier.

The conclusion: Oakley officially supports doping, and notably where it includes a broad conspiracy.

Helps confirm why Stephanie still hasn't changed her story.

Dave.



Yeah, no doubt. Stephanie McIlvain is an idiot. She is sooooo screwed now that she lied in her testimony. Oakley and Armstrong only used her so that Armstrong could escape doping charges. She lied. Eventually, Oakley and Armstrong are going to throw her under the bus. She never should have threatened assault with a deadly weapon to Betsy Andreu.
 
Oct 7, 2012
37
0
0
Visit site
Oakley's stance just doesn't add up. They acknowledge the evidence shows guilt, but say they believe in standing by their athletes.

Someone should tell them there is more than one athlete in the world, and many of them were cheated by their golden boy.
 
IFRider said:
Oakley just tweeted the following:

As guilty as the evidence shows, which we completely acknowledge, it is our promise & contractual obligation to stand by our athletes until proven guilty by the highest governing body of sport, or a court of law. We might be last off but we are not going to jump on the bandwagon as it breaks our promise to all of our athletes. We will wait for the UCI's conclusion and act at that time.

I see that Oakley is taking the highroad. :rolleyes: