• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1277984927060.jpg

Yes Frank, he would have put you in 2nd place :p

I posted this ramble in the Wiggins thread, following the discussion about the Froome/Wiggins co-leaders pros and cons argument. Probably more apt here:

I agree with Hitch that you can have two leaders, or at least a strong domestique who is given a relatively free role.

It can depend on the team make up. When Lance won his seven Tours it wasn't going to matter what anyone else did. Apart from '03 he was clearly the strongest rider.

But take a couple of Kloden's Tours. In '04, if he'd been made to wait for Ullrich in the Pyrenees, then there is no way that he would have beaten Basso to second spot on the podium. And the small help that he could have given Jan wouldn't have allowed him to limit his losses enough to eventually defeat Ivan, so giving Andreas a free role here was a good decision.

The opposite occurred in the '07 Tour. Already well ahead of Vino in the overall standings and with apparently stronger legs given his super showing in the prologue, Kloden was nevertheless asked to work and then wait for his team captain on the first MTF in the Alps. In the end it didn't matter since Astana was thrown out of the race in disgrace, but Kloden was a potential podium finisher in that event, whereas Vino wasn't.

gregrowlerson said:
I posted this ramble in the Wiggins thread, following the discussion about the Froome/Wiggins co-leaders pros and cons argument. Probably more apt here:

I agree with Hitch that you can have two leaders, or at least a strong domestique who is given a relatively free role.

It can depend on the team make up. When Lance won his seven Tours it wasn't going to matter what anyone else did. Apart from '03 he was clearly the strongest rider.

But take a couple of Kloden's Tours. In '04, if he'd been made to wait for Ullrich in the Pyrenees, then there is no way that he would have beaten Basso to second spot on the podium. And the small help that he could have given Jan wouldn't have allowed him to limit his losses enough to eventually defeat Ivan, so giving Andreas a free role here was a good decision.

The opposite occurred in the '07 Tour. Already well ahead of Vino in the overall standings and with apparently stronger legs given his super showing in the prologue, Kloden was nevertheless asked to work and then wait for his team captain on the first MTF in the Alps. In the end it didn't matter since Astana was thrown out of the race in disgrace, but Kloden was a potential podium finisher in that event, whereas Vino wasn't.

They left the race in protest againt Vinos fale positive :rolleyes:
:p

And Vino almost allways loose time in the first mountain stage. Look at his Vuelta 06, where he looses over 2 min on Valverde and Di LUca. Vino would have won that tour easily, Kloden on the other hand was a top 5 at best ;)

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
You can't really compare Kloeden,the most overrated rider ever,with Froome/Wiggins situation,this guy should be happy that is was allowed to ride in company of Ullrich and Vino.

jens_attacks said:
vino had the both knees destroyed. all what he had done in that tour was a miracle

Fractured coccyx was worse; even before their crashes Andreas had smashed Vino in the prologue (had won T-A earlier that season); I believe that he had the better legs.

Anyhoo, glad my thread is still alive :)

Even if all this Oscar talk makes me a grouch :p

Re: Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 To

gregrowlerson said:
Apparently Andreas is arguably the most aesthetically pleasing cyclist of all time.

It has proved to me that I am even vaner than I thought :D

Here is a photo from his best ever TDF stage (IMO):

tour-de-france-stage-8-alexandre-vinokourov-team-astana-andreas-klden-picture-id504198439

If Im not mistaken, thats the stage to Tignes.. he surely have done much better than towing Vino up a climb, no?

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
He has done much better, but considering all of the circumstances, that is my favourite ride from him.
It was an epic climb, with Moreau attacking from 17k to the finish, a favorite group attacking each other, Klöden trying to cross the gap for Vino, Contador suffering a flat tire then attacking again from the second group...

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
gregrowlerson said:
He has done much better, but considering all of the circumstances, that is my favourite ride from him.

I see. But thanks for bringing back memories from that day. Vino being done, my first encounter with a sprinting up-a-hill Alberto (yeah, was very young), Mayo's resurrection and obviously MR.

I remember Alberto having a flat at a crucial time and thus losing contact with the lead group, but then mostly making up that deficit on his rivals by the finish. BTW, Mayo's resurrection was rather brief :D

And what I remember the most (apart from Klodi's super ride) was CM having great legs and ambition, but nobody being willing to work with him (this was back in the days when Cadel Evans was basically Rafal Majka :lol: ), and his great form gained him next to nothing. A few days later he lost minutes in the crosswinds and his Tour was over.

p4240730_600.jpg

One of my favourites, Contador and Kloden casually hanging out at Liege presentation back in 2010. After thar Col de Romme "misunderstanding" :D

Busche's career peaked that day.

PS: I love this thread.

trevim said:
p4240730_600.jpg

One of my favourites, Contador and Kloden casually hanging out at Liege presentation back in 2010. After thar Col de Romme "misunderstanding" :D

Busche's career peaked that day.

PS: I love this thread.

So because everything is all about looks, are we going to lower ourselves to simply posting 'hot' photos of our Klodi now? :D

Wasn't even sure that he rode Liege? I don't recall him having a single decent one day result outside of the 2000 Sydney road race and the 2004 German road race. Do any Klodists out there know about any other reasonable results that Andreas achieved in one day races? It seems that he ignored the Ardennes every year, even though he targeted the TDF every season, except for 2008.

And how did he win his national title? Was the course a mountain top finish. I believe that Klodi only one won stage on a MTF, at the Volta Algarve '99, which is rather extraordinary considering his talent, and the overall stage races that he won.