• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 To

gregrowlerson said:
Apparently Andreas is arguably the most aesthetically pleasing cyclist of all time.

It has proved to me that I am even vaner than I thought :D

Here is a photo from his best ever TDF stage (IMO):

tour-de-france-stage-8-alexandre-vinokourov-team-astana-andreas-klden-picture-id504198439
This thread never dies :)

Where are those times when this chubby (relative to cyclists) riders raided mountains...

Re:

jens_attacks said:
I will always remember that monster attack on mur de huy. 2010 i think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQg8e5yKCE

That was rather ambitious :D

But this is when he was nearly thirty-five. I wish Kloden had given some of these races a go in his prime years; might have achieved some half decent results. Better than twenty-fourth anyway.

Maybe there would have been other coveted top ten finishers :razz:

BTW, did he ever give the WCRR a serious (or not) attempt?

And yet his anti German stance only began after the fallout with the Freiburg clinic scandal after 2006. Shows how disinterested he was in racing after the TDF during any season.

Started to show some interest when he finished fourth in the Tour of Colorado, at the age of thirty-seven...

P.S. He raced the WC ITT in 2006 I believe. Performed badly and later refused to ride for Germany (and speak to reporters :D ) ever again.

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour F

I forgot: They took the hardest way to the hill back then.

By the way: It is just a phantastic scenery there. Really beautiful.

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

Thanks for the info on 2004 FW (which I did look up at one point years ago and forgot about) and the German championship. I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) that he didn't produce any other one day results like these in subsequent seasons.

With that national championship, does anyone know if it was a hilltop finish? Or how Klodi won it?

30km solo attack? Attack on the final climb? Or a sprint victory that was a prelude to P-N 2011? ;)

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Thanks for the info on 2004 FW (which I did look up at one point years ago and forgot about) and the German championship. I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) that he didn't produce any other one day results like these in subsequent seasons.

With that national championship, does anyone know if it was a hilltop finish? Or how Klodi won it?

30km solo attack? Attack on the final climb? Or a sprint victory that was a prelude to P-N 2011? ;)

It's okay. I about forgot about FW too and I am the one who put it in the English wiki page for Klodi.
The only other top 10 in a classic he has is 7th in HEW classic in 97 though he was 4'+ behind Ullrich.

I hope he becomes a DS for a WT team.

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

gregrowlerson said:

He attacked on the last climb made it to the finish solo.

Re: Re:

Tych23 said:
gregrowlerson said:

He attacked on the last climb made it to the finish solo.

Thanks for that info.

Not sure if he even tried to win his national road race in any season other than '04, though this might have had as much to do with sprinter favoured routes (Germany isn't exactly Italy obviously) as it had to do with Andreas' injuries and general lack of racing interest (outside of the TDF).

Re:

Netserk said:
I just read some of the posts during the 2011 Tour :( What could have been...

It will always be impossible to know what he could have achieved in that slightly lesser standard Tour. If he climbed like he did in 2010 and 2012 then he'd be lucky to sneak a top ten. Of course his form in 2011 was much better, but great GC's in P-N and P-V didn't have any seriously long climbs.

As a fan I would hope that he could have stayed at least close to Tommy V in the mountains though :D

TRENDING THREADS