• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"another interesting piece I found on the UCI and president Pat McQuaid " Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
One thing in the summary report that struck me as unlikely was the alleged testimonial evidence that Verbruggen was ****ting colours the night before Oprah. How can/could the investigators know about this? Were they there holding his hand on the couch in front of the tele or what?
Perhaps he sent out emails that reflect that fact he was basically ****ting it.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that Plant has a less than squeaky clean history and Katusha is managed by non other than a certain Mr Ekimov. Remember him? Yep LA's right hand man. Next to Spain the Russians have probably had more positive dope tests than any other nation.

The whole thing stinks and they are all as bad as each other.

The only thing that is pretty interesting now is that the "honour amongst thieves" and **** covering seems to have gone out of the window. If one starts dishing dirt on the other they will all start doing it.

The problem for Cookson is that what started as a good clean fight has now degenerated into a cat fight.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Makarov would feel the need to leak the summary. Verbruggen, the rat, left the sinking ship weeks ago. Obviously he understood McQuaid couldn't be saved. Maybe it is McQuaid himself who leaked it, hoping ppl would think there isn't much to this dossier, that Makarov is Cooksons evil puppeteer and so on.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
The leak did not come from Marakov

One of the more entertaining part of this whole mess is the email Pat sent out to a bunch of people last night. Can just imaging him pounding this out, 1/2 finished bottle of whiskey by his side, spewing about his enemies

Statement from Pat McQuaid, UCI President

This evening, a cycling website was anonymously leaked a libellous "dossier", alleging corruption at the UCI.

The claims in this so-called dossier are a complete fabrication. They are totally untrue and are not supported by a scintilla of evidence.

This is a scurrilous and libellous attack on my character, with a political agenda that is both nakedly transparent and totally contemptible - and unfortunately one that is completely in character with the tactics of my opponents.

The UCI Ethics Commission have already tried to investigate the matter. The Ethics Commission asked for a copy of the dossier from Igor Makarov and Mike Plant, but both of them refused to hand it over to the Ethics Commission. That fact alone speaks volumes.

Froomador said:
This "dossier" is going to backfire - sadly doesn't suggest any smoking gun evidence. Without such, this is going to appear what it actually is - an another attempted smear by Makarov.

McQuaid for all his faults could actually be right, Brian could be merely a puppet - All hail Comrade Cookson! :D

Not Makarov. The story apparently broke on VeloNews. That means Plant and Wiesel. We know Johnson/Wiesel are hot to have McQuaid gone as USAC has been releasing commentary on the election in the form of press releases. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like another well-played move by Wiesel.

The allegation that Contador's positive was covered up is no secret.

The UAE being the location of one of McQuaid/Verbruggen's shell companies is new though...

Race Radio said:

One of the more entertaining part of this whole mess is the email Pat sent out to a bunch of people last night. Can just imaging him pounding this out, 1/2 finished bottle of whiskey by his side, spewing about his enemies

I picture him dictating to a ghost writer, McQ. couldn't come up with words like "scintilla" or "scurrilous" or even "contemptible" if he was stone sober. Left to his own devices he would most likely just scream "LIES LIES NOTHING BUT LIES" until he fell off his bar stool.:D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

So did or didnt makarov and plant hand over the dossier to the ethics comission? If not why not?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
So did or didnt makarov and plant hand over the dossier to the ethics comission? If not why not?

I understand it was presented to the management committee a few months ago. Given Pat and Hein's willingness to use the courts to intimidate people it is understandable why it may have been challenging to get the info out in the open

Note, these 3 pages are just a few of the points of a 50+ page report

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Not Makarov. The story apparently broke on VeloNews. That means Plant and Wiesel. We know Johnson/Wiesel are hot to have McQuaid gone as USAC has been releasing commentary on the election in the form of press releases. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like another well-played move by Wiesel.
The allegation that Contador's positive was covered up is no secret.

The UAE being the location of one of McQuaid/Verbruggen's shell companies is new though...

I can buy this angle if all payments were made by Armstrong which would be a standard MO for a world class manipulator like Weisel. This also allow Wiesel to passively control some of the dialogue and provide a scapegoat. Of course an email string tying him to Armstrong, wire transfers,etc. could all backfire. It would be up to Armstrong to explore that nuclear option if he faced criminal charges. On the other hand he might be a stand-up Mafiosi and do time or the cause....

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Circumstances of Pat's answer not known, but the proper answer to it is this: You have sat to long! We don't believe you whatever you say! The shenanigans with your nominations from Korea and Botswana, Kuala Lumpur or Tibet is beside the point and an eyesore for anybody who's interested in the organization of sport! Nobody wants you as head of UCI. Resign now or prepare to be rolled in tar and feathers! If you truly, truly have a heart for cycling you should resign now. Make the point that this is not an admission of guilt in any shape or form! Make the point that hindsight will reveal what an excellent administrator you've been through a tumultous period for the UCI . State unequivocally that you're open for any consultancy-period the UCI under its new leadership deems necessary, selling your great insight and experience or whatever for whatever it's worth, but RESIGN! RESIGN RESIGN!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
This is only speculation, but I suspect Johan's fingerprints are on that dossier as well. Makarov=Katusha info. Johan=RSLT/Becca's Leopard + USPS/Discastana. Add in info from Weisel and Lance, and you can cover a lot of ground in the Verbruggen era and the McQuaid era.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:

Maybe the UCI ethics commission cannot be trusted. The commission is made up of 3 members : Pieter Zevenbergen (NED), Peter Barth (GER), Noemi Cantele (ITA).

Zevenbergen was involved in backing Verbruggen in a shady election maneuver in 2005.
CN 09-05-2005

Quote: Pieter Zevenbergen, member of the UCI Management Committee and president of the UCI Ethics Commission, therefore knew of Verbruggen's renewed bid for his function as head of the UCI when he hosted the meeting of the Ethics Commission on Friday, August 19. "At the sitting," Schenk said yesterday, "Chairman Zevenbergen said nothing about the so-called fourth candidate. How can we trust a Commission which conceals that sort of important information on purpose?"

Not surprisingly he’s still on the ethics commission today. It makes little sense to give the report to a member of the old boys club. Better to give the info to the authorities.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
hektoren said:
Circumstances of Pat's answer not known, but the proper answer to it is this: You have sat to long! We don't believe you whatever you say! The shenanigans with your nominations from Korea and Botswana, Kuala Lumpur or Tibet is beside the point and an eyesore for anybody who's interested in the organization of sport! Nobody wants you as head of UCI. Resign now or prepare to be rolled in tar and feathers! If you truly, truly have a heart for cycling you should resign now. Make the point that this is not an admission of guilt in any shape or form! Make the point that hindsight will reveal what an excellent administrator you've been through a tumultous period for the UCI . State unequivocally that you're open for any consultancy-period the UCI under its new leadership deems necessary, selling your great insight and experience or whatever for whatever it's worth, but RESIGN! RESIGN RESIGN!

Completely agree.
Any person with nothing to hide would have resigned by now. To have what has happened while he was running the ship, whether he knew what was going on or not, is sufficient enough for him to resign. The fact that he is fighting tooth and nail to stay in power makes me believe he has a lot to hide.

H2OUUP2 said:
Completely agree.
Any person with nothing to hide would have resigned by now. To have what has happened while he was running the ship, whether he knew what was going on or not, is sufficient enough for him to resign. The fact that he is fighting tooth and nail to stay in power makes me believe he has a lot to hide.

Do you honestly think Fat Pat didn't have an inkling as to what was going on? he's been in bed with Wonderboy from the start of this nonsense. For him to actually try to play all of this off as some sort of "I had no idea what was going on, Armstrong has no place in cycling", BS he's been spewing to the masses, is completely hysterical to me. How he can even fathom that no one with an IQ over 10 actually believes anything he says, is beyond me.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
This is only speculation, but I suspect Johan's fingerprints are on that dossier as well. Makarov=Katusha info. Johan=RSLT/Becca's Leopard + USPS/Discastana. Add in info from Weisel and Lance, and you can cover a lot of ground in the Verbruggen era and the McQuaid era.

At least part of it.

Bruyneel is selling much of his staff and company to Katusha. The file that was sent around to the media only includes info that likely came from Bruyneel/Armstrong.

It is very possible the source of the document was Bruyneel

Velonews has published an "anonymously leaked document" that is extremely defamatory.

If an anonymous leaker mailed them a purported EPO doping regimen for Vaughters' Garmin team, do you think they'd publish that?

Something's fishy about this.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Velonews has published an "anonymously leaked document" that is extremely defamatory.

If an anonymous leaker mailed them a purported EPO doping regimen for Vaughters' Garmin team, do you think they'd publish that?

what if they had multiple sources confirming the information in the document, would it still be fishy?

MarkvW said:

Of course something is fishy, this is the UCI and Pro Cycling. Most of the claims are ancient and were previously disclosed anyway. Though, it's nice they are seeing the light of day again. I never understood why the UCI trying to hide Contador's positive wasn't the main story.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Are you saying that Velonews has multiple sources confirming the information in the document?

Wow! If they did, that would be NEWS! Wonder why they'd hold back . . . .

what did they hold back? they published the entire document

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
There is a reason the complete dossier was not handed over to the ethics committee

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...reason-McQuaid-dossier-wasnt-handed-over.aspx

“There is no belief that I or another number of people have that the Ethics Commission would operate complete independently of the UCI,” he said. He said that one example of the blurred lines is that a lawyer for the commission also acts as a lawyer for the UCI. “There’s not enough distance between the two,” he stated.

“Pat has spoken today about us not going to the ethics commission. How does Pat know what we did or didn’t do? If it was truly independent of the UCI, he should not have that information. That’s one example of how the two bodies are too close.

“So, there’s little confidence that the ethics commission would be would be a fully independent.”