• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Anyone care about the tour of Oman?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Visit site
the comment comes from a comic strip in Denmark that was published that depicted the profit Mohammad. This is very offensive for Muslims. There were death threats made and things that were imported to the middle east from Denmark were no longer allowed. The person who made the joke obviously watches to much Fox news!

Like I said this is not an issue, don't believe every thig you see on the news especially fox!!
 
St. Elia said:
the comment comes from a comic strip in Denmark that was published that depicted the profit Mohammad. This is very offensive for Muslims. There were death threats made and things that were imported to the middle east from Denmark were no longer allowed. The person who made the joke obviously watches to much Fox news!

Like I said this is not an issue, don't believe every thig you see on the news especially fox!!

Well if you read and believe the Koran it was not offensive.Unfortunately many muslims, particularly the terrorists, have no sense of humour!
 
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Visit site
Ya that's right they hate the west because they don't have a sense of humor....

It was/is offensive to them to have an illustration of the prophet in any form. It had nothing to do with the joke as far as I know.
 
Jun 15, 2009
835
0
0
Visit site
St. Elia said:
the comment comes from a comic strip in Denmark that was published that depicted the profit Mohammad. This is very offensive for Muslims. There were death threats made and things that were imported to the middle east from Denmark were no longer allowed. The person who made the joke obviously watches to much Fox news!

Like I said this is not an issue, don't believe every thig you see on the news especially fox!!

What do you mean, not longer an issue? On the 1st of January 2010 a Somali Muslim, armed with an ax and a knife entered the house of Kurt Westergaard (the guy who made the drawing), and was subsequently shot by the police. Westergaard saved his life by locking himself into a panic room. "Not an issue?"
Are you really, really sure?
 
Jun 3, 2009
287
0
0
Visit site
St. Elia said:
Unfortunately they have deiced not to have any mountain stages, which they could easily do! They could also have done a couple of stages in Salalah which has some nice hills. To be honest I think the mountains are too difficult for these guys at this point in the season.

I think the idea is to promote the country as a tourist destination and show some of its beauty but with out TV coverage thats not going to happen.

There are some interesting hills on the last stage and the 3rd? stage I think it is.

I would still have liked to see them go up Jebel Akhdar (over 2500m) as the dirt road up Jebel Shams would be no good. At least the mountains should be seen on Nizwa and Ibri stages (if clear enough).

Salalah would be a nasty transfer distance wise and as it is not green this time of year not really worth it for difference in the scenery.
 
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Visit site
hektoren said:
What do you mean, not longer an issue? On the 1st of January 2010 a Somali Muslim, armed with an ax and a knife entered the house of Kurt Westergaard (the guy who made the drawing), and was subsequently shot by the police. Westergaard saved his life by locking himself into a panic room. "Not an issue?"
Are you really, really sure?

So all action done by anyone from the same religious group make the whole group liable?

I just mean here in Oman, where I live, I have not know of this sort of behaviour. As far As i know they may have an issue with Westergaard but i have not seen any knife welding lunatics.... well no more then I see on this forum. To be honest I have never been to a country that I feel safer in.
 
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Visit site
Not Riding Enough said:
I would still have liked to see them go up Jebel Akhdar (over 2500m) as the dirt road up Jebel Shams would be no good. At least the mountains should be seen on Nizwa and Ibri stages (if clear enough).

Salalah would be a nasty transfer distance wise and as it is not green this time of year not really worth it for difference in the scenery.

They could do a ride up Sarif al amain (the other side of Wadi bini Alf) for a nice hill top finish. I agree about the Jebel Akdar but honestly,,, It's stupidly hard so I don't think the pros would want that at this time of the year.

Salalah, it's a 45 min flight but the hills and roads are really amazing, great riding and a good place to promote for tourism, true though not too green at this time of year.

I really hope that this is not just a one time race and that it continues to develop.
 
Jun 15, 2009
835
0
0
Visit site
St. Elia said:
So all action done by anyone from the same religious group make the whole group liable?

I just mean here in Oman, where I live, I have not know of this sort of behaviour. As far As i know they may have an issue with Westergaard but i have not seen any knife welding lunatics.... well no more then I see on this forum. To be honest I have never been to a country that I feel safer in.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...vice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/oman

"There is an underlying threat from terrorism in Oman. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

Terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region. These include references to attacks on western interests, including residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.

You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places. You should avoid large gatherings and demonstrations. "

On the other hand, I've never been to Oman myself, so I have no problem believing you could be right.
 
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Visit site
hektoren said:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...vice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/oman

"There is an underlying threat from terrorism in Oman. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

Terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region. These include references to attacks on western interests, including residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.

You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places. You should avoid large gatherings and demonstrations. "

On the other hand, I've never been to Oman myself, so I have no problem believing you could be right.


Don't believe everything you read, I've lived here a long time and while there is risk everywhere I really don't think there is a big risk here in Oman. If someone wanted to make a statement about westerners in the gulf it seems to me Dubai would be a pretty good target (Qatar too with the US army their). I guess I just have a real positive view of Omanis. Super friendly and welcoming so while I know that there are real risks with certain groups particularly around Yemen (Car Jackings) and some religious groups they seem more interested in control of their own country rather then foreigners.

Anyways... I thought this was a cycling forum lets get back to talking smack about whose going to win !!!
 
Jun 3, 2009
287
0
0
Visit site
St. Elia said:
.... I agree about the Jebel Akdar but honestly,,, It's stupidly hard so I don't think the pros would want that at this time of the year....

Yeh, it is even hard for many to drive up it (not to mention down).

Still it would be good and it could be the only climbing stage so recovery wouldn't be too bad. Sprinters in teams could have Qatar and Stages but a chance for others for the Oman GC would be more intersting.
 
Jun 3, 2009
287
0
0
Visit site
dimspace said:
Yemen, or in between the two the Emirates.

There is obviously finance in the area. Those countries are already making strides into other sports, f1, sponsorship of football etc.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to see another gulf tour spring up (is it me or has qatar moved slightly - in time/date, not geographically)

UAE (or at least Abu Dhabi) made a half harted attempt with Unipubilc (Vuleta), even though it was billed as the richest race in cycling.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2007/abu_dhabi07

It was at least going to have a climb in it.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
2
0
Visit site
St. Elia said:
Not much talk about it but it should be more interesting then the tour of Qatar as Oman actually has a few hills, the final tt should be decisive. Other stages have very steep sections (20%+) although short hills they could separate the group.

Do they have hot podium girls in burqas?
 
Jun 18, 2009
374
0
0
Visit site
hektoren said:
Switzerland? What's wrong with Switzerland?
Well, take Italy, a country with two millennias worth of bloodshed, revenge, omertà, civil war, wars, mob assassinations, Red Brigades, bloodshed, Mussolini, Spartacus trials and Berlusconi combovers. Yet they've produced Michelangelo, daVinci, Corelli, Vivaldi, Botticelli, Ferrari, Maserati, Parma ham, mozzarella, Pinarello, Battaglin etc. etc.
What has Switzerland, with its corresponding two millennia's worth of peace, love and brotherhood and isolation produced? The cuckoo-clock? (Sorry, all readers from Schwartzwald, I know it's you who really left us with that legacy of true ingenuity, and not the Swiss, whose only claim to fame really is a pocketknife and an oversweetened chocolate as well as getting rich from eradicated jews)

How to misquote The Third Man and insult the Swiss, Italian and Omani nations in one easy paragraph.

What has any of that bigoted non sequitur got to do with Oman, or the bike race for that matter?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mellow Velo said:
Ah, the Sky effect.
British Eurosport 2 have 30 minute highlights, each day from Monday.
All ES 2's have 15 minutes of Volta Algarve, too, from Wednesday.:)

the oman coverage is delayed a day.. makes you wonder what is the point.. :/

avoiding a result till 9pm is one thing, avoiding the result for 36 hours is pointless..

I shall make do with a french text feed.
 
May 7, 2009
88
0
0
Visit site
Oman rocks!

This is gonna be way better than pan flat Qatar. The coastal scenery is awesome, some goes for the architecure. Throw in some rolling hills, a few climbs and perfect weather and you got yourself something special. Better than getting rained out in France, right?
 
Jun 15, 2009
835
0
0
Visit site
Runitout said:
How to misquote The Third Man and insult the Swiss, Italian and Omani nations in one easy paragraph.

What has any of that bigoted non sequitur got to do with Oman, or the bike race for that matter?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until now.
Bigotry? Big on words, short on substance, are we?
The question in hand was whether the ToQ/ToO should be extended into Yemen as well, as posted by Dimspace when he wrote "I'm wondering...
Tour Of Qatar, two day break, then new New tour Of Oman (both run by the ASO), how long before a third race appears and we see the formation of a 3 week "grand" tour?"
I have several objections to that, and climate doesn't enter the equation. Women's lib does, however, as indicated by my reply to Dimspace.
You may object all you want, but the fact of the matter is that women participating in sports, in public, in this neck of the woods, in the cling-film spandex suits preferred today is quite simply out of the question in Yemen. As is podium girls, as is the after-hours nightcap. (Not that I really mind about the nightcap).

Admitted, the ASO probably has a huge financial incentive by setting up shop in Qatar, Oman etc, but there's also a political and moral side to this. Do we accept the fact, or should we, that money makes the ASO organize "tours" in countries that has BIG problems with democracy, womens' rights, gay's rights, dress code, and sexual attraction to sheep?
C'mon!
There really is a lot to dislike about the middle-east and a multitude of arab countries. Human rights is but one matter of concern. Having a big bank-balance in your favour shouldn't make it OK to shy away from addressing a multitude of deeply troubling concerns. One year ago a yemeni citizen named Farouk Abdulhak, the son of a Yemeni multi-billionaire, studying at Regents College in London,raped and killed a norwegian female co-ed named Martine Magnussen. Scotland Yard has demanded an extradition, but it seems that mr. Abdulhak's family shields him, providing him with false passports etc. leaving him to continue to lead the life of a sheltered Arab prince.

Should we forget about democracy, womens' rights, human rights' just because it's a part of a sound fiscal policy for ASO? Methinks not.
And as for the Swiss gaining immense wealth from the estate of eradicated Jews, get a grip and read up on history.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I do have slight issues with a race in a country where women are still given no rights, and they have the death penalty

although on that basis i guess the ToC falls in the same catagory
 
dimspace said:
I do have slight issues with a race in a country where women are still given no rights, and they have the death penalty

although on that basis i guess the ToC falls in the same catagory

It could be worse. It could be in Texas where the cyclists would have to deal with the flying Superdevil and his jar of marmalade.

superdevil.jpg
 

TRENDING THREADS