• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ardennes Classics Discussion thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Fränk has already won the AGR, so it would be silly to say he doesn't have any chance. Andy was really active last year as well, but neither of them are really big favourites.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
really depends how it is raced.

If teams wanted to mix it up a bit on the cobbles vs spartacus, they ought to mix it up here also. Leaving for a sprint finish is gonna have 1 outcome; Gilbert.

Let us hope they make it really tough, and someone can make an attack stick.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
seems to be very hard to get away in agr and lfw

Not really actually, since AGR has the Cauberg finish:

2003: solo
2004: two men sprint
2005: bunch sprint
2006: solo
2007: solo
2008: sprint with a small group (8 guys)
2009: three men sprint
2010: small bunch sprint (20)

Lot's of different scenario's possible.

Fleche has had a bunch sprint in the last 7 years, but the years before that almost never. I don't know what changed, but it wasn't always a long 'wait for the Mur de Huy' reace.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
really depends how it is raced.

If teams wanted to mix it up a bit on the cobbles vs spartacus, they ought to mix it up here also. Leaving for a sprint finish is gonna have 1 outcome; Gilbert.

Let us hope they make it really tough, and someone can make an attack stick.

Last year Gilbert chased down attacks from Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck, Ivanov and Cunego and made attacks him self... It was a pretty aggressive race, but Gilbert was way above everyone in that race.

They can make it as aggressive as they want, but if Gilbert has his form from last year then there's not much they can do about it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Last year Gilbert chased down attacks from Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck, Ivanov and Cunego and made attacks him self... It was a pretty aggressive race, but Gilbert was way above everyone in that race.

i remember, but he is no superman, enough attacks, a field really pushed to the limit, could make things interesting.

Like I said, Gilbert will win if it comes to a uphill sprint, but the teams should prevent this at all costs.

Spartacus has form like last year, and he was more convincing on that terrain then gilbert on this. Look what happened. Sure these races are different, but nothing is set in stone, aggressive riding will make it hard, and harder to control irregardless of his form.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
i remember, but he is no superman, enough attacks, a field really pushed to the limit, could make things interesting.

Like I said, Gilbert will win if it comes to a uphill sprint, but the teams should prevent this at all costs.

Gilbert is pretty good in getting back to back wins in classics :p

And I don't think Spartacus had the same form as last year even though he was still way above everyone else. But they're different races and totally different cyclists, so can't really be compared anyway.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gilbert is pretty good in getting back to back wins in classics :p

it would surprise me very little if he did. AGR is probably most suited to his ability. Nor would I mind, even your manlove can't make me dislike gilbert.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually hope Cancellara will win. Feel sorry for the guy. Definitely would save his spring season somewhat.

Other cyclists except Gilbert can go to hell :D

But yeah, Lombardia and AGR are the races most suited to his ability.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Screw that make him have a Dutch flag. A Gilbert avatar... More reward then punishment :p

How about this one?

120710%20verslagenheid%20na%20de%200-1%20voor%20Spanje_2.jpg

Davide Appollonio, Kurt-Asle Arvesen, Kjell Carlström, Steve Cummings, Simon Gerrans, Mathew Hayman, Christian Knees, Lars-Petter Nordhaug.

This is Sky's team for Amstel and it looks extremely weak. Initially, they were planning to ride for EBH here (who had this race as one of his main goals) but now with him out and Uran not riding they seemingly have no one who can get into the top 10. Gerrans is nowhere near his 2009 form, at least judging by his Pais Vasco performance. Nordhaug will probably end up as their best placed rider, perhaps he could come inside the top 20 (which would be fantastic for him)...

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
ben ik, van Duitsen bloed,
den vaderland getrouwe
blijf ik tot in den dood.
Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik, vrij, onverveerd,
den Koning van Hispanje
heb ik altijd geëerd.

William of Nassau, scion
Of a German and ancient line,
I dedicate undying
Faith to this land of mine.
A prince am I undaunted,
Of Orange, ever free,
To the king of Spain I've granted
A lifelong loyalty.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
wrong translation, it says that he has always honoured the king of Spain, not that he has pledged his lifelong loyalty to him