• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Fractures Collarbone - will miss giro????

A

Anonymous

ok.. the non doping version,.. :D
from cycling news
Lance Armstrong crashed and fractured his right collarbone today in the opening day of the Castilla y Le?n stage race in Spain. The American of team Astana retired from the stage via an ambulance to a hospital in Valladolid.
"This is racing. Give me a few days to think about what I have to do. I am upset, it is a big problem ahead of the Giro d'Italia."
A broken collarbone typically needs four to six weeks for recovery, which would leave him in jeopardy for the Giro del Trentino, April 22 to 25. It would also compromise his form for the Giro d'Italia.

as far as the injury goes, im thinking lance may be seeing it as a blessing in disguise...

when he announced his comeback, it was always giro, then support contador in the tour.. last few weeks this all seems to be changing... and the tour seems to have been moving higher and higher up the priorities.. his form has been critisised, but lets face it the likes of MSR where never his priority and he finished in similar positions to where he had finished in the past, but whatever his form, he will have an idea if this march, he feels about where he used to in march as far as fitness goes...

all works perfect for him.. back to texas for a couple of weeks.. couple of weeks out in europe reccying some of the tour stages, does a week or so of the giro to build some fitness back, contador wins the giro when astana throw him in to do it, lance all fit and ready for the tour..

obviously ive sympathy for him.. im certain he will at least start the giro as he already has cancer awareness functions to attend, but this almost certainly makes the tour his number one priority...

be interesting over the net couple of days what bruyneel has to say, and contador...

A

Anonymous

just one small thing...

david millar, stuey, and now lance..

is there something going on that we dont know about...?

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Has a whole thread been removed?
Why?

Yes, I really joined up to waste my time.....
I just ask the admin about that. Being from a former communist country this makes me very 'nervous'. During the communism, an article, a book, a news or even a person could suddenly disappear as they never was if one of them was against the Comandante/Chief of the Communist Party etc etc! All these could be same when comes about reverend Jim-Johnes-Broke-HisCollarbone???
Also, being Transilvanian, I could assure you ,our vamps does nothing in common with the disappearing of the thread:D

Mellow Velo said:
Why?

Someone like dimspace probably complained that his idol was being denigrated. I did not see anything in that thread that was too bad. It obviously was a schadenfruede thread, so anyone reading it got what they expected.

We need to go with the "(D)" and "(non-D)" tagging or just stop mentioning Armstrong at all.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if Contador will come out and say it was just inexperience on Lance's behalf, really got to be in the top 15 to avoid those crashes....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
ok.. the non doping version,.. :D
from cycling news
Lance Armstrong crashed and fractured his right collarbone today in the opening day of the Castilla y Le?n stage race in Spain. The American of team Astana retired from the stage via an ambulance to a hospital in Valladolid.
"This is racing. Give me a few days to think about what I have to do. I am upset, it is a big problem ahead of the Giro d'Italia."
A broken collarbone typically needs four to six weeks for recovery, which would leave him in jeopardy for the Giro del Trentino, April 22 to 25. It would also compromise his form for the Giro d'Italia.

as far as the injury goes, im thinking lance may be seeing it as a blessing in disguise...

when he announced his comeback, it was always giro, then support contador in the tour.. last few weeks this all seems to be changing... and the tour seems to have been moving higher and higher up the priorities.. his form has been critisised, but lets face it the likes of MSR where never his priority and he finished in similar positions to where he had finished in the past, but whatever his form, he will have an idea if this march, he feels about where he used to in march as far as fitness goes...

all works perfect for him.. back to texas for a couple of weeks.. couple of weeks out in europe reccying some of the tour stages, does a week or so of the giro to build some fitness back, contador wins the giro when astana throw him in to do it, lance all fit and ready for the tour..

obviously ive sympathy for him.. im certain he will at least start the giro as he already has cancer awareness functions to attend, but this almost certainly makes the tour his number one priority...

be interesting over the net couple of days what bruyneel has to say, and contador...

Astana team leader Johan Bruyneel said on his Twitter feed that there were no complications in the break, and suggested Armstrong could be back riding soon.

?Clean collarbone fracture,? Bruyneel said. ?Should be fast recovery.?

However: "The seven-time Tour champion said he will fly to the United States and meet with medical experts to decide whether he needs surgery."

I believe Lance's motivation to race has always centered on one race, and one race alone; The Tour de France. If all heals properly and swiftly, whatever Lance needs to do to prepare for the TdF, that is where his focus will go. Regardless, I don't believe that AC will be doing the Giro.

Probably too early for anyone to know what steps will be taken at this point. Pain seems temporarily cloud one's ability to see beyond it, even for a champion.

Heal quickly Lance, we're pulling for you.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Astana team leader Johan Bruyneel said on his Twitter feed that there were no complications in the break, and suggested Armstrong could be back riding soon.

However: "The seven-time Tour champion said he will fly to the United States and meet with medical experts to decide whether he needs surgery."

Yeah, the bloody Spaniard docs! What do they know? These bunch of peasants may could discover something.Yes , call the Air Force One for me please!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
What happened to the other thread? I forgot, we're all children and not allowed to suggest Armstrong might not be the nicest person in the world... We must be brainwashed into all following the CN line. This forum is like New Labour, squash all dissent!

Oh and if the Tyler thing is confirmed, can they get round to investigating his Puerto links at the same time, might as well make double sure of the life ban.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Henri Desgrange said:
What happened to the other thread? I forgot, we're all children and not allowed to suggest Armstrong might not be the nicest person in the world... We must be brainwashed into all following the CN line. This forum is like New Labour, squash all dissent!

Oh and if the Tyler thing is confirmed, can they get round to investigating his Puerto links at the same time, might as well make double sure of the life ban.

Again...Amen!!!!!!! ( I hope this time they will not censoring ! just a small hope!)

Henri Desgrange said:

Anything that happened in OP with Hamilton happened before him being informed of testing positive so it cannot be used to impose a lifetime ban. At least that is what the WADA code says.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I won't cry crocodile tears for the man as am not now and have never been a fan. Danielson said that Caisse attacked into a crosswind (shades of Rabobank at Paris-Nice) and all hell let loose in the peloton with riders trying to respond to the attack (this is reported on cn, unless that's been censored too). The problem for Armstrong and Astana is that they no longer have any aura of invincibility about them - on European soil they are there to be attacked and attacked hard. Armstrong fell victim to that as did a group of other riders.

bianchigirl said:
Sorry, I won't cry crocodile tears for the man as am not now and have never been a fan. Danielson said that Caisse attacked into a crosswind (shades of Rabobank at Paris-Nice) and all hell let loose in the peloton with riders trying to respond to the attack (this is reported on cn, unless that's been censored too). The problem for Armstrong and Astana is that they no longer have any aura of invincibility about them - on European soil they are there to be attacked and attacked hard. Armstrong fell victim to that as did a group of other riders.

That could be true.

I am partial to the explanation that Armstrong is not serious about racing. He just want to be part of the circus again for his ego's sake. Thus he is not as attentive as he used to be.

Talking about Danielson, anyone know if he has designs on this race?

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That could be true.

I am partial to the explanation that Armstrong is not serious about racing. He just want to be part of the circus again for his ego's sake. Thus he is not as attentive as he used to be.

Maybe I'm thinking too far, it is just a feeling , but I think LA will be the next Pantani case. This doesn't mean it is necessary to have the same finish of course. Despite all the discussion about drugs, he always knew how to aproach the TdF preparations, training, minds games with others etc. It seems to me he didn't followed the same path this time not even about his weight. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I still have this feeling. Serious.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Why?

Well, all we need to do is make sure that we only speak in respectful terms regarding Mr. Armstrong. Never mind that he has tried to destroy the reputation of others, he is above reproach because he had cancer. You are simply not allowed to suggest negative things about someone who had cancer. They had cancer and that means they are a good person.

Dang, I had some good work on that thread....this place is worse than Daily Peloton.

Funny thing is that in their "Cycling News Flash" post "Discuss on the Cyclingnews Forum." was at the bottom all day. I am fairly certain that WBT's thread was not what they had in mind. However, it shows a weak backbone and tacit support for the status quo to have erased it. I expect nothing less from "journalists" these days. It is getting damn hard to find honest news anywhere.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
Perhaps cycling needs its own John Stewart

Indeed it does.

BTW, don't know if I ever addressed you directly, but I like your posts. Informative and scalpel sharp, keep up the great work.

A

Anonymous

Also at some point, we are going to have to address the fact that Tyler won a stage of the TdF with the same injury. Why is lance such a weakling? He is flying home? Get on the bike and ride I say because cancer will not wait for him to get better so it can be cured.