• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Thanksgiving

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
How is Australian Thanksgiving viewed by the Aboriginal community?

I know many Native Americans don't celebrate our Thanksgiving, why would they. Many years ago I was dating a girl who is Sioux, and we usually ate fantastic traditional Native American fare, also with a more modern twist like bison burgers!!! Yummy!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Apparently Thanksgiving is new this from 2006:

More than 1000 communities this year celebrated the National Day of Thanksgiving across Australia. An estimated 250,000 Australian's either took part in, or were impacted by, the events of the Day.
Organisers are amazed and greatly appreciative of how quickly the Church in Australia has taken up the challenge of the day in just three short years. Churches have discovered the outstanding opportunity the Day presents for them to give positive leadership in their community which can open doors into areas of the community they have not previously connected with.

So I say let's throw a 'roo on the barbie and toss back some Fosters

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
How is Australian Thanksgiving viewed by the Aboriginal community?

As I said, I don't celebrate 'thanksgiving'. I don't know anybody that does - either in the aboriginal or other communities.

krebs303 said:
More than 1000 communities this year celebrated the National Day of Thanksgiving across Australia. An estimated 250,000 Australian's either took part in, or were impacted by, the events of the Day.
Organisers are amazed and greatly appreciative of how quickly the Church in Australia has taken up the challenge of the day in just three short years. Churches have discovered the outstanding opportunity the Day presents for them to give positive leadership in their community which can open doors into areas of the community they have not previously connected with.

Is that from Wikipedia? Sounds like it was written by someone from 'the church' - which flavour, I'm not sure. 250,000k isn't what I'd call significant, even in our small populous.

As I've said, this is the first time I've heard of anything resembling an Aussie Thanksgiving.

As for Hugh Januss' comments. Good luck with that.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am an Aussie, but have lived in both the USA and Canada for the past 8 years. While Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving (on different dates), things would have had to have changed big time in Australia because there definitely was no Thanksgiving when I left Australia and friends and family back home have never celebrated such a holiday. Why would they?

Thanksgiving marks the end of the harvest in Canada, while in the USA it is principally to give thanks for the native Americans saving the English settlers after a hard winter in Plymouth (but there are roots to the end of the harvest as well). In Australia, the harvest is at the opposite time of the year (being the southern hemisphere and all) and no large group of white settlers were saved by the aborigines. Easter is our biggest holiday (Good Friday and Easter Monday) despite not being an overly religious country (although there are lots of footy games played on this 4-day weekend and sport is commonly considered an Australian's religion). We also have statutory holidays for a horse race (Melbourne Cup) and, although I think this is no longer a holiday, for the state fair (Royal Melbourne Show). Go figure!

elapid said:
I am an Aussie, but have lived in both the USA and Canada for the past 8 years. While Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving (on different dates), things would have had to have changed big time in Australia because there definitely was no Thanksgiving when I left Australia and friends and family back home have never celebrated such a holiday. Why would they?
I guess that is really more like what I was trying to say.:D
Thanksgiving however is my girlfriend's favorite US holiday and she is from Brisbane, maybe it's just the awesome turkey I always make.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
As I said, I don't celebrate 'thanksgiving'. I don't know anybody that does - either in the aboriginal or other communities.

Is that from Wikipedia? Sounds like it was written by someone from 'the church' - which flavour, I'm not sure. 250,000k isn't what I'd call significant, even in our small populous.

As I've said, this is the first time I've heard of anything resembling an Aussie Thanksgiving.

As for Hugh Januss' comments. Good luck with that.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

My question and reference was from wiki. I have had my mates here from Bell's Beach twice before. I just wondered if you had a similar holiday and thought that I would look the whit if I made something from home. I sat through a Boxing Day test match last year were we almost ran out of alcohol.
Coopers kept me going crazy. Kiddman and Jackman made what I have come to know as a very bad movie. No similar holiday no problem. If you look below people chime in about for f__k sake everything. They(wiki) says you have a Thanksgiving in May. Everybody is getting turkey.... I hate lamb.Roo I can eat always but lamb....no.Sheep are for coats not for food...uh

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I just wondered if you had a similar holiday and thought that I would look the whit if I made something from home.

Not really, as you say we have Boxing Day which is something even I don't understand. Other than that we have Australia Day in January which celebrates the landing of the First Fleet. I presume this is what Hugh Januss was referring to earlier.

fatandfast said:
I sat through a Boxing Day test match last year were we almost ran out of alcohol.

Australia Day is similar, just less cricket, more booze.

fatandfast said:
Kiddman and Jackman made what I have come to know as a very bad movie.

Please don't hold this against my countryman and I. The majority of us agree with your review of it :)

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
My question and reference was from wiki. I have had my mates here from Bell's Beach twice before. I just wondered if you had a similar holiday and thought that I would look the whit if I made something from home. I sat through a Boxing Day test match last year were we almost ran out of alcohol.
Coopers kept me going crazy. Kiddman and Jackman made what I have come to know as a very bad movie. No similar holiday no problem. If you look below people chime in about for f__k sake everything. They(wiki) says you have a Thanksgiving in May. Everybody is getting turkey.... I hate lamb.Roo I can eat always but lamb....no.Sheep are for coats not for food...uh

everyday is Thanksgiving at Reb Lodster.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Never celebrated in our family. The first fleet were never saved by the aboriginal people, they just wiped them out (like they did in Tasmania).

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I say if Muslems can celebrate Christmas we can celebrate anything just another holliday great stuff.

But it wasnt the pilgrim farthers who found Australia it was suposed to be Cantn Cook but we all know it wasnt. But captn Cook didnt think the Earth was flat.
Australia day is another holiday stack them on the list.

Roll on Christmas no bikes for a week or so just Booz and Xmas Pud.

Guys you got to have something to work off in January,

A

Anonymous

brianf7 said:
I say if Muslems can celebrate Christmas we can celebrate anything just another holliday great stuff.

where are you living that muslims celebtrate christmas... they shouldnt do, even on the basic level that christians view jesus as the physical son of god, is a blasphemy and basically denies gods oneness for a muslim.....

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would think you guys would celebrate for making it through the year without being killed by one of the many forms of deadly wildlife. :)

I haven't seen a snake around here for a few years. Certainly a poisonous one. But I would never go swimming at the beach up in North Queensland or up in the Northern Terrority, or even in the rivers. They have crocs in there. Off the beach they have crocs (salt water), or the deadly box jelly fish. I guess you are right.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I haven't seen a snake around here for a few years. Certainly a poisonous one. But I would never go swimming at the beach up in North Queensland or up in the Northern Terrority, or even in the rivers. They have crocs in there. Off the beach they have crocs (salt water), or the deadly box jelly fish. I guess you are right.

The only snake I have seen on a ride in Australia was a Brown Tree Snake - mildly venomous, but nothing compared to the others we have. Plenty of snakes on the farm and during camping holidays, lots of funnel web spiders at my Dad's home in Sydney, and crocs and box jelly fish at my grandparent's home in Cairns. But the closest I've been to getting bitten while exercising was a trail run in Fort Collins when I almost ran over two mating rattlesnakes. Coitus interruptus = two very mad rattlesnakes!

elapid said:
The only snake I have seen on a ride in Australia was a Brown Tree Snake - mildly venomous, but nothing compared to the others we have. Plenty of snakes on the farm and during camping holidays, lots of funnel web spiders at my Dad's home in Sydney, and crocs and box jelly fish at my grandparent's home in Cairns. But the closest I've been to getting bitten while exercising was a trail run in Fort Collins when I almost ran over two mating rattlesnakes. Coitus interruptus = two very mad rattlesnakes!

can you blame them?:D

A

Anonymous

I opened this thread wondering what in the world Australians had to be thankful for; after reading the posts, I see the answer is nothing. Crisis averted.