• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso totally out of form, will he be able do something in the tour?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
search said:
he was 76th in the prologue of the Tour de Romandie last year (which was his last preperation race for the giro) and ended up 35th in overall classification - so there's nothing to worry about, yet...

exactly.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I doubt he'll be in top form. He'll probably be decent and finish somewhere around 5th or 6th. But I don't see him being in top form.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys remember how he sucked in last year tour of Romandie ? But in the end he was in perfect shape for the giro. So i think that he has enough time to regain his top form for the second half of the Tour.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I think he has time enough to get top form for the second half/last week of the Tour. The fact that the 1st proper mountain stage is way into the 2nd week plays in his favour.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
And this is based on what? The Dauphine prologue of something like 5 km? I'd wait until the mountains to make any proclamations about his form.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont see how this indicates anything. Samu was terrible at the Dauphine last year (losing 40 minutes on queen stage) and then he had a very strong TdF.

I expect Basso to podium the TdF and i consider him 3rd best GT cyclist atm after Contador and Schleck obviously, and a notch above Menchov and Samu.

I would not say Menchov is on a great par to some of the other riders like Samu and Gesink. Basso will never retain his form of 05-06. I don't think he can therefore match some people's expectations. He's that one yr older too. He has a weak ITT. I am not going off at him i hope he goes well enough at the TDF. However other riders shall aim to peak for all 3 weeks and with his crash i don't know if he can. And in the TDF you need to be in good form all those 3 weeks especially if a favourite decides to go with Gilbert in the first week. I was also saying i would not consider him as favourite due to his form in the early season races even before the crash. Shleck at least podiumed a classic and yet everyone goes off at how he only focuses on the TDF and has a weak rest of the season ( ToC ). Hopefully Basso can get in the top 5, his team will work their asses off for him too.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
don't read too much into the prologue or the dauphine in fact.

It helps that the real mountains come after 12 days if racing in the tour.

This.

He won't perform this Dauphine. Not at all, but 8 days of hard racing will help him for sure. Then he will go high up into the mountains for 10 days for some good training.
He won't be in topshape yet, but he still has over a week in the TdF to gain form, allthough it might cost him some seconds on the hill finishes in the first week.

The only problem could be that he won't recover from his fall. Not sure if he's still suffering from that fall or if he's completed injury free right now.

p.s. I don't expect that much from Basso this TdF anyways. I hope he will proof me wrong though, because I kinda like the guy.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
This.

He won't perform this Dauphine. Not at all, but 8 days of hard racing will help him for sure. Then he will go high up into the mountains for 10 days for some good training.
He won't be in topshape yet, but he still has over a week in the TdF to gain form, allthough it might cost him some seconds on the hill finishes in the first week.

The only problem could be that he won't recover from his fall. Not sure if he's still suffering from that fall or if he's completed injury free right now.

p.s. I don't expect that much from Basso this TdF anyways. I hope he will proof me wrong though, because I kinda like the guy.

Of course, who doesn't like Basso...

O wait, isn't Basso that boring f*cker who races like an old woman?
Right, that's him. Ivan the Terrible tw*t.