• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
Though I must admit the scenario is mildly interesting and exciting at times, the persona of Dexter comes across as totally unrealistic to me.

I always have my reservations about the way he is portrayed as a serial killer. His behavior is so utterly strange and unbelievable that it distracts me too much to get involved with the show.

Try reading "The Collector" by John Fowles. Now that feels real to me.

On a side note, "The Magus" by John Fowles is also a friggin' awesome book.

It's definately not realistic, but somehow that doesn't turn me of. Heck my favourite movie was terminator 2 growing up. I always loved, pure entertainment, still do but as I grew older my taste has grown wider, so your friendly advice is very much appreciated.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Best:
The Sopranos (The 'Great American Novel' in TV form)
Forbrydelsen (The Killing, Danish version) - wonderful performances. Reveals the degree to which American crime shows are formulaic, shallow and stylised (even the acting performances).
The Simpsons Post-modern comedy at its best.

Enjoy:
The Wire
Mad Men
Dexter
Fawlty Towers
The Office (UK)
Blackadder
Taggart (for the gritty Glaswegian humour and accent as much as anything else, "You must think I'm as thick as your granny's soup!"
In Treatment
Wallander (Swedish version)
Boardwalk Empire

Miscellaneous other crime shows

Just watched Game of Thrones and thought it was pretty ordinary.

42x16ss said:
I'm a massive Homer Simpson fan, so the Simpsons goes without saying. Other current Favorites are:

SouthPark
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
IT Crowd
The Mighty Boosh
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Arrested Development
Fringe
Supernatural (Don't judge me! My housemate got me hooked :p)

Hey, don't be ashamed. I love that show too and forgot to include on my list. Dean is hilarious to me as is the angel Caz. Very entertaining.

Midnightfright said:
Yeah is very uncool also its always on some channel or another so Ive lost countless hours of my life to it

It sucks you in with it's subtlety. When I was younger I always looked forward to watching it on Sunday's after church. The entire series of shows with Columbo being the best: MacMillan and Wife, Banacek and McCloud.

Angliru said:
Hey, don't be ashamed. I love that show too and forgot to include on my list. Dean is hilarious to me as is the angel Caz. Very entertaining.
The humour can be very subtle too, there are some obvious (and not so obvious) homages to classic comedy if you pay attention. The Simpsons has been referenced more than once...

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Why do you wish you had not liked Columbo? That was a great series. A bit campy, but good mysteries every week. Some episodes Columbo wouldn't even show up until the show was half over, making things interesting. Plus, Peter Falk was a great actor. Looking beyond this role that made him famous, his work with John Cassavetes was superb. Powerhouse acting in Woman Under the Influence.

I got around to watching the first five episodes of Breaking Bad. Quite good. Also trying to watch more of the Wire.

My Boss once told me that only Columbo could manage to look scruffier in a suit than me. I took that as a compliment. Very easy to lose a few hours of a sunday to that show.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Howling Fantods said:
Arrested Development coming back for one more season

Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz announced today that the show will be coming back to television -- five years after it was cancelled.

Hurwitz said the show will do a "limited" season which will show us what the characters have been up to since the show last aired ... which will then lead right into the planned movie.

There is no official deal in place yet for where or when the show will air.

Have a frozen banana and celebrate!

So happy!

This is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I think I'll celebrate by going to Burger King with Carl Weathers and get as many free refills as I possibly can, and of course whip out the old lightsaber!

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
This is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I think I'll celebrate by going to Burger King with Carl Weathers and get as many free refills as I possibly can, and of course whip out the old lightsaber!

I feel like you may be losing perspective on things. Perhaps you should make an appointment with your 'analrapist'. :p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
It's not recent, but fast on its way to becoming an all-time favorite -

Northern Exposure

I saw the occasional episode back in the early 90's, but never religiously followed the whole series. My girlfriend brought the entire six seasons over on her recent visit and we sat and watched show after show every night that we were home.

I am now halfway through season five and have come to the conclusion that this is an absolutely delightful and wonderful series, full of wit, humor, good writing, fascinating characters and many comments relevant to the human condition as a whole. I cannot recommend it highly enough, even though it is a far cry from almost all of my other more recent favorite series.

I was however, disappointed to learn that it was not really filmed in Alaska, but in Washington state. Small quibble, never mind.

ya breaking bad is very good( need to find time to start watching the second season tho :eek:) unbelievable that the father from malcom in the middle is doing that role the guy really has talent as an actor.

i will put myself forward to public humiliation and name gossip girl as my favourite show. . . go ahead i am used to the mockery :p but i must say Leighton Meester is stunningly gorgeous and an amazing actress and so is Penn Badgley an amazing actor, saying he was gorgeous would be pretty gay tho :p by the way Penn beat james franco for the role of jeff buckley (there will be a film about his life yes and if you don't know who jeff buckley is then shame on you) so you can see that i am really not bull****ting about him being a good actor

Midnightfright said:
Sharp- Bank holidays just aren't the same without a few hours of this brilliance.
Columbo- I wish I didn't like it but I do.
Luther- only been like 7 episodes in 2 years but really top stuff
Peep Show- Altough all my freinds/family/colleagues hate it I think its comedy genius

All the Sharpe episodes are really great! So are the novels. ♦

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
West Wing, M*A*S*H, Muppet Show, Blackadder, Cheers/Frasier, Seinfeld, House, Van Kooten & De Bie, Father Ted, Hill Street Blues, Columbo, Derrick, Cracker, Blackadder, One Foot in the Grave, Only Fools and Horses, Yes Minister, Farscape, Mystery Science Theater, Alias, Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends, Futurama, Married with Children......

TRENDING THREADS