• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best forum memes

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best and funniest forum meme

• Total voters
Contadors retirement really feels less of a change of era than like 2019 when all of Froome, Nibali, Quintana, Sagan and even Dumoulin stopped being relevant in a very short period of time.

Really quick turnover of top dogs in every specialty
Plus Valverde finally starting to age, Gilbert's last hurrah, Van Avermaet's time of defining cobbled classics coming to an end, Kittel retiring... it really was a uniquely fast turnover in every part of the sport, all the big names of 2017 had effectively fallen away by 2020. The closest thing to an exception is Cavendish' second youth.

Plus Valverde finally starting to age, Gilbert's last hurrah, Van Avermaet's time of defining cobbled classics coming to an end, Kittel retiring... it really was a uniquely fast turnover in every part of the sport, all the big names of 2017 had effectively fallen away by 2020. The closest thing to an exception is Cavendish' second youth.
Maybe its normal and maybe tennis has messed with my expectations there

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Maybe its normal and maybe tennis has messed with my expectations there
A 2004-2007 interval comes close - Armstrong retiring, Operación Puerto knocking out a lot of big names, the rise of Contador, Evans, Boonen, Cancellara and so on, but the turnover was a bit more prolonged and there were still constants like Rebellin and Freire.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at the advent of the EPO era?

Reactions: Red Rick
I unironically stand by that. If there is one hot take on CN I dont mind being associated with its that one.

Meanwhile I always thought Pisti liked Nibali. Or did he just hate him less than Froome and Valverde?
I've already said this up thread but Pisti hated in order:

Valverde
Any classics rider who isn't a stereotypical Belgian hard man
Any climber who isn't a flyweight Spaniard
Everyone else

"Rider x is the new rider y" in the thread titles.
Which sometimes became "Rider x is the new rider x".
Best spinoff of course: "Rider x is the new rider y is the new rider z is the new rider..."

(Bet you weren't expecting this!)

Guess other variations are:

"Rider X is not Rider Y" - which has given rise to the @hayneplane approved "Not Chris Harper" meme.
The tendency to make rider thread titles be increasingly complicated.
The constant inclusion of the word "thread" in thread-titles.

Reactions: hayneplane
People metnioning recurring discussions as memes and by doing so kickstarting another iteration of said discussion is really the most fitting thing for this thread.

So on that note, anyone else thinking Contador shouldn't have attacked Schleck there?
At the time I didn’t like it but as time went on, that is racing. Schleck attacked and then dropped his chain while Contador was responding to his attack then kept going upon passing him. If we want to talk about that situation there is when Cancellara slowed the peloton down for the Schlecks to catch back up and not lose time then drill it with Andy was on his wheel and Frank unfortunately crashed and cut Contador off. Schleck had to have tried attacking more before the TT after that to try and gain time.

At the time I didn’t like it but as time went on, that is racing. Schleck attacked and then dropped his chain while Contador was responding to his attack then kept going upon passing him. If we want to talk about that situation there is when Cancellara slowed the peloton down for the Schlecks to catch back up and not lose time then drill it with Andy was on his wheel and Frank unfortunately crashed and cut Contador off. Schleck had to have tried attacking more before the TT after that to try and gain time.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be more outraged by a cycling incident (though I'm probably forgetting something) then with the Fabian hold up on stage 2 (partly because Klöden was up ahead, not that he had the legs that year anyway, and Cadel too I think) of 2010. Yet I can also see the funny side of it.

TRENDING THREADS