• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Betsy testifies

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure this well-put quote from Betsy is out there or not:

"In an e-mailed statement, Betsy Andreu called herself and her husband "two small pieces of this puzzle," and added: "The money spent by the government to stop fraud in sports is miniscule in comparison to the money being made by the athletes committing the fraud. The investigation is a good thing for those of us who want clean sport -- not just for the athlete who wants to compete clean but especially for the youth who partake in it."

From ESPn.com bonnie Ford:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?id=5522910

Thoughtforfood said:
I for one want to see Bruyneel go down as much as I do Armstrong.

More than anyone else, I would like to see the suppliers of the drugs and the doctors who masterminded these doping regimens take a collective fall, like a bunch of lemmings walking off a cliff.

Except they will have to forced to walk the plank, whereas lemmings go off voluntarily.

Miguel Indurain was part of the same, cynical doping culture and reaped the same benefits, albeit on a smaller scale than Armstrong. But he carried himself with a quiet dignity and had a respect for others that Armstrong can't even fathom.

Which is why he is reviled, and for good reason. But I would like to see, just this once, a guy like Dr. Ferarri be exposed once and for all and to be made to pay for the manner in which he was allowed to poison the ethics and the spirit of this sport for far too long.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It depends if he cuts all ties with the all or some of the big fish and batons down the hatches. He and Weisel might sell out everyone else to save their skins and if he is negotiating i imagine that is what he is doing. So it will be interesting to see who gets landed and who swims away. But the landed fish might have a thing or a million to say about the Uniballer. It aint over by a long stretch.

I agree, but I believe it is the best chance he has.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:

ESPN said:
Asked to comment on the Andreus' involvement in the investigation, Fabiani said in an e-mailed response that the hospital room incident was "a very old story that was long ago disproved by Lance's doctors, by medical records, and by everyone else in the room that day. The fact that this ancient piece of fiction is now being rehashed shows that the motorboat for this taxpayer-money-wasting FDA fishing expedition is already running on fumes."

The hospital room incident and the subsequent narrative it has created are dramatic flashpoints, but as ESPN legal analyst Roger Cossack pointed out, "Certainly, anything [Armstrong] did in 1996, the statute of limitations would have run out no matter what it is, except for murder." Novitzky might have some professional curiosity in what Armstrong said 14 years ago, but it's likely that he is more focused on more recent events, namely, whether Armstrong and McIlvain testified truthfully in the SCA case. Documents from that case were subpoenaed by federal investigators in July.

Both these comments miss the (obvious) point why Novitzky is digging as far back as 1996. He's clearly building a factual file to help Armstong recall events truthfully when it's his turn to be questioned by the grand jury. It seems a good bet that we'll be seeing an admission of doping - or a perjury charge (Armstrong lying to the grand jury, not in the SCA case) - from this process. There have been few leaks related to the money trail where the criminal charges are likely targeted at - the less Armstrong knows what the investigators know about those facts once he talks, the better for the proscecution. I don't see any plea deal on the horizon yet.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Why the hate? It is OK not to answer. What are you guys going to do when Armstrong trial over? Unreal, I am not a sniffer and I play here.
Here is a reality check, there is a real world away from Lord Armstrong, his excellency Bruyneel and Weinshlong or whatever you call him.
Darn it you guys, go get some law degrees and start prosecuting Crazy Joe, Kid Blast and Larry Gallo. Heck why not go for the Clintons, Bushn Jr. and Cheney while you are at it. Cause if you are in a financial straight check those guys an gals out.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Why the hate? It is OK not to answer. What are you guys going to do when Armstrong trial over? Unreal, I am not a sniffer and I play here.
Here is a reality check, there is a real world away from Lord Armstrong, his excellency Bruyneel and Weinshlong or whatever you call him.
Darn it you guys, go get some law degrees and start prosecuting Crazy Joe, Kid Blast and Larry Gallo. Heck why not go for the Clintons, Bushn Jr. and Cheney while you are at it. Cause if you are in a financial straight check those guys an gals out.

????

It's ok, man. Put your head b/w your knees, take a couple of really deep breaths. Exhale. It'll be okay. Don't worry, you're not the only fanboy who slept in Postal pajamas during the glory years...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
????

It's ok, man. Put your head b/w your knees, take a couple of really deep breaths. Exhale. It'll be okay. Don't worry, you're not the only fanboy who slept in Postal pajamas during the glory years...

you mean when i was putting my hands between the two pillows....aww scratch that.. i didn't say that....

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
"Lance was required to undergo an active steroid and EPO regimen as part of his post-operative treatment," Fabiani said, "which may give a reasonable explanation for there having been some discussion of EPO or steroids during her visit to the hospital, having nothing to do with any suggestion of use before he was a cancer patient."

Is Fabiani referring to Betsy's testimony from conversation in a hospital room in 1996 here? :confused:

Diagnosed in october 1996. Last Chemo treatment December 13, 1996.

my somewhat informed timeline suggests recovery did not start yet

Berzin said:
More than anyone else, I would like to see the suppliers of the drugs and the doctors who masterminded these doping regimens take a collective fall.
I agree with this more than any statement I have heard over the last few months since this started. The doctors and trained medical staff that implemented and organized these doping programs need to be taught a lesson, and a message sent so that it doesn't happen again in the future. Specifically punishing those who refuse to cooperate at this point. Massive fines, medical licenses and certification stripped, and several years in prison followed by several more picking up garbage on the side of the freeway and cleaning diapers in nursing homes might do it.

Then, I'd like to see the athletes come clean, regardless if they doped in a program, or on their own, and the omerta broken. With those who doped and refuse to admit it exposed and punished.

Following that, I'd like to see the UCI, and likely USAC, be forced to do a complete and total overhaul, with those that broke the law, and rules, sent away as well.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Darn it you guys, go get some law degrees and start prosecuting Crazy Joe, Kid Blast and Larry Gallo. Heck why not go for the Clintons, Bushn Jr. and Cheney while you are at it.
Uhm, I'm studying to do the latter, prosecuting (former) heads of state :p

But does anyone really know who the real targets are of the investigation, logically the media is focused on Lance, he is the biggest name, but who knows. Perhaps it is mainly focused on the people behind the fraud, the doctors and managers, as these are more important in the continuation than Armstrong, and if Armstrong talks, it will be relatively easy to continue the investigation into this manner

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree with this more than any statement I have heard over the last few months since this started. The doctors and trained medical staff that implemented and organized these doping programs need to be taught a lesson, and a message sent...

Alpe, if you feel this way, didn't you find it just a little bit disgusting that the editorial staff at CN gave ink to the scumbags when it ran the "Open Letter from Dr. Ferrari", in which among other things the good Dr. 53x11 threw in a few doping innuendos about Lemond???

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
"Lance was required to undergo an active steroid and EPO regimen as part of his post-operative treatment," Fabiani said, "which may give a reasonable explanation for there having been some discussion of EPO or steroids during her visit to the hospital, having nothing to do with any suggestion of use before he was a cancer patient."

Is Fabiani referring to Betsy's testimony from conversation in a hospital room in 1996 here? :confused:

Diagnosed in october 1996. Last Chemo treatment December 13, 1996.

my somewhat informed timeline suggests recovery did not start yet

That is likely why this line was yanked from the article.

The hospital room discussion came at the very start of Armstrong's treatment. Dr. Nichols was not even his doctor yet. The "Post Operative" was just spin that even the Fabricator realized was BS so they yanked it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree with this more than any statement I have heard over the last few months since this started. The doctors and trained medical staff that implemented and organized these doping programs need to be taught a lesson, and a message sent so that it doesn't happen again in the future. Specifically punishing those who refuse to cooperate at this point. Massive fines, medical licenses and certification stripped, and several years in prison followed by several more picking up garbage on the side of the freeway and cleaning diapers in nursing homes might do it.

Then, I'd like to see the athletes come clean, regardless if they doped in a program, or on their own, and the omerta broken. With those who doped and refuse to admit it exposed and punished.

Following that, I'd like to see the UCI, and likely USAC, be forced to do a complete and total overhaul, with those that broke the law, and rules, sent away as well.

I agree with all of the above but LA was as guilty of being the omerta's enforcer during the his AC (after cancer) years and for his bullying and general distastefulness as a person who more than any other was the public face of pro cycling as he put himself up there.

Plenty of doped champions took the winnings (and shared with team mates), plaudits but remained humble. LA did the opposite and more.

I want to see LA publicly apologise to the Andreus, Bassons, Simeoni etc...but i cant imagine he will.

Alpe d'Huez said:

But this is going on at least to a degree and just needs to be taken a step further: Conconi, Ferrari, Santuccione, Fuentes, German medics, etc. The medics need to be punished, of course, but a rider like Armstrong needs to be dealt with most severely.

He paid Ferrari 800 k so that he would work with none other, promoted a culture of systematic doping on his teams, was an fanatical upholder of omerta, lied about his role and involvement in contributing to the culture of doping within the sport, never tried to race clean his entire professional career and built a fortune in the process. And, and, he's a bully who was not adverse to using intimidation and bribery to protect himself.

If the medics have found a market with the athletes, it is precisely because of men like Mr. Armstrong, who rather than attempt to change the corrupt system played right along with it - and who were not even dopers because pressured into it as some have been, but were actually willing participants in the illegalities as well as its greatest promoters.

I place guys like LA, Bruyneel, Siaz etc., therefore, on the same level with the various Ferraris and Fuentes.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
... The doctors and trained medical staff that implemented and organized these doping programs need to be taught a lesson, and a message sent so that it doesn't happen again in the future...

If, and it's a big if, the investigators are able to establish that medical professionals administered drugs for no reasons other than performance enhancement, this would likely be a violation of most nations' codes of medical ethics. Surely the respective colleges of Physicians and Surgeons could take action such as stripping the doctor of his licence to practice medicine. I agree that this would be a huge victory for clean sport.

rhubroma said:
...The medics need to be punished, of course, but a rider like Armstrong needs to be dealt with most severely...
Perhaps, and punishing the medical experts and removing them from practice would (hopefully) have a deterrent effect on other doctors and thus a detrimental effect on men like Armstrong who need them to make their fortunes. It would be an indirect punishment but in these days of increasingly complex doping (genetics being perhaps the next step) it should be effective. I know where you're coming from, most of all I hope to see Armstrong widely exposed as a cheat and a liar.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
And, exactly how much money has Lance donated to Livestrong?

Isn't it great when you get to pay people off, to cover up your lies, using other people's money that you solicited with lies?

Dave.

You know, it's been awful quiet on the LA front this week.....somebody's writing cheques, or cuttin' deals to stay out of the Big House....

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yet..........................................

Smoke -----Dawgs=Fire;)

Anyone seen his buddy Comical, or Kollege,,,,, lately? :eek:

I am not so sure after Puerto, Rasmussen, and the Italians Lance will have anything new or different to add on the doping front.

The UCI and Swinecus ....another story altogether.

TRENDING THREADS