• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bolt: 9:58 Now that`s fast.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thommie Smith did in fact match his 200 time at sea level
Evans set the world record at the us trials 44.0 and lowered it later to 43.8

technique for your information does not involve just the start
it is how well you accelerate out of the blocks how you hold your form etc
Bolt has a good start now
when he started he did not
he still has room for improvement his reaction time is abysmal
since Lewis was shorter he had to have either faster turnover or more power per stride is that so hard to understand? that makes him a better technician, he does not have the physical attributes of Bolt

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
thommie Smith did in fact match his 200 time at sea level
Evans set the world record at the us trials 44.0 and lowered it later to 43.8

technique for your information does not involve just the start
it is how well you accelerate out of the blocks how you hold your form etc
Bolt has a good start now
when he started he did not
he still has room for improvement his reaction time is abysmal
since Lewis was shorter he had to have either faster turnover or more power per stride is that so hard to understand? that makes him a better technician, he does not have the physical attributes of Bolt

Oh I love to discuss with you, coz you make it too easy for me :)

You dont mean Evans´ 44,06 at Echo Sumit, dont you? I am so sorry: High-Altitude.
Here is the best low altitude 400m in the 60s: 44,95 by Evans in 1967 at Winnipeg (FAT).

Hand-Timing: a doubtful 44,5 by Tommie Smith at San Jose. Mike Larrabee at 44,9 in LA as "true" low altitude Record.

Now you dont wanna tell me altitude dont give you advantage at 400m???

Now 200m low-altitude bests of the 60s: FAT; John Carlos at 20,34 in Paris.
Hand timing: 19,9 by Tommie Smith in Sacramento 1966. So at least you are somehow correct on this one. Dont forget hand-timing is around 0,2 seconds faster then FAT. Then again the equipment (Stadium, Shoes) were worse back then. So we can take that 0,2 off again. 19,9 back then is pretty much a 19,90 nowadays. Thats great, since no crazy PEDs in the 60s, no doubt. Your point.

If i got you correct, the shorter you are the better technique you have? Well then i am speechless. What does it mean? White men cant jump, but blacks cant move?? Its ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Surely you aren't gullible enough to believe their isn't any australian dopers in swimming. The amount of world records smashed over 1 year is shocking. 108 world records to be exact.

Big deal. As I said get the basics right. A claim was made about aussie swimmers hitting 26 then bang, they're in the gym and suddenly rippling with a dynamic muscles. Absolute bull$%#! and being an aussie you should know this. If one is trying to make a point and a valid one at that, about doping in any sport, it does no good to your argument and credibility to support it with rubbish that is factually ignorant and incorrect.

Grant Hackett was the last swimmer near 26 years of age on any aussie national team. Most are under 22. Wow, the ones over 20 improve. Shock horror. Its not all drugs. Yes it is highly suspicious all the records broken in the last year but you'll find most of them are by Europeans and Americans. The new suits have done wonders for those with big physiques, very low body fat levels and below par techinques. Especially in sprint events. Think of the bouyancy factor. Aussies breaking records for the most part if not all of them are the swimmers who have records and resumes supporting their credentials as world champions for many years.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
runninboy said:
Oh sorry, you are the godfather of track. I forgot...
2.) Bolt DOES run fast every single time. If you have a coffee and laugh with your friend during the race, then of course only a 10,02 comes up. That is REAL SLOW ;) 6 Years ago that time win you a world championship. But, so what?

You need to be consistent with your statements. Most needed to go over 10.02 to make the finals for the last 10-15 years. If you were lucky you'd just scrape in. 10.10 to make a final safely, still not a given. If you expect me or anyone else who actually engages their brain whilst reading to believe any runner could win the mens 100m at a world championship or Olympics with that time then you should seriously revise your thinking. Somewhere in the 8.8 to 9.9 range is needed to medal a bronze. But you'd know this considering you've been spewing forth all types of data. These times have been needed since the 1980s and certainly not the 10.02 to win during the last six years.

I think your problem is you're soo fired up you aren't interpreting the data and information clearly. If what you meant to say was you can only win clean at 10.02 then fair enough, but make the effort to say that. Then again I'm more convinced that you just aren't being level headed enough to notice that a balanced person could come on here, look at your points and realise, wow, he has some interesting ideas and then bam, shoots himself in the foot with a ridiculous statement that has no realistic boundaries in actual competition.

My point is if you want to make a point and have it not questioned get the basics right. The information about swimmers ages and times to win track gold medals are easy recognisable when they are misquoted or distorted. Otherwise you'll end up looking like a fanatical conspiracy theorist who didn't know when to stop and lost all focus.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Big deal. As I said get the basics right. A claim was made about aussie swimmers hitting 26 then bang, they're in the gym and suddenly rippling with a dynamic muscles. Absolute bull$%#! and being an aussie you should know this. If one is trying to make a point and a valid one at that, about doping in any sport, it does no good to your argument and credibility to support it with rubbish that is factually ignorant and incorrect.

Grant Hackett was the last swimmer near 26 years of age on any aussie national team. Most are under 22. Wow, the ones over 20 improve. Shock horror. Its not all drugs. Yes it is highly suspicious all the records broken in the last year but you'll find most of them are by Europeans and Americans. The new suits have done wonders for those with big physiques, very low body fat levels and below par techinques. Especially in sprint events. Think of the bouyancy factor. Aussies breaking records for the most part if not all of them are the swimmers who have records and resumes supporting their credentials as world champions for many years.

i'm not disagreeing with you but my claims aren't incorect. In Australia, swimmers are looked upon like they have sunshine coming out of their ****.108 world records is too much too believe that it is all clean. Swimming is in a big doping problem. Australian media are oblivious to that and choose to ignore the facts. I have heard many times before that swimming's anti doping tests aren't up to the level of where they could be like cycling. i think australian 's need to recognise that some of our own are most likely not as clean as we all report they are. or swimming in general.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I'll disagree with you personally on the former, but we can agree to disagree because that just comes down to personal philosophy. I don't mind someone partaking in social drugs. Most are an extension of alcohol and cigarettes and most are probably far less dangerous than either alcohol or cigarettes. Its their life and their business, as long as it does not affect their personal or work life.

In regards to the swimming, the suits were being used from at least the start of 2008. According the Science of Sports website dated 26th March 2008: "For those who've missed the story, in the last 39 days, 14 world records have been set in the pool, and 13 of them have been in the newly designed swimsuit by Speedo."

See the following link for more information: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/03/speedo-swimsuit-debate.html
Alcohol is the only drug i'll ever tolerate. Cigarettes i will not.

Even before 2008 then, the amount of world records which were broken was massive. I don't think i can accept swimming as a clean sport, as it is has far more WR's broken than any other sport. The reason i'm talking about swimming, as in the australian media, their is a message that all 'our swimmers are clean' attitude. When cycling elimanates the cheats, the papers and media scream out that the tdf is tarnished forever and the tdf is a doped up sporting event. Cycling is stereotyped to be full of cheats when it is Cycling which is making a much bigger attempt to clean up the sport than swimming or many other sport are.
Please read this article http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2290175.htm

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
[quote

Somewhere in the 8.8 to 9.9 range is needed to medal a bronze. But you'd know this considering you've been spewing forth all types of data. These times have been needed since the 1980s and certainly not the 10.02 to win during the last six years.

[/QUOTE]

What you mean? I dont get your point.

Nobody runs 8,8. Not now, not tomorrow. 8.8 is like climbing to Alpe d Huez at 30 km/h. Not even Epo-Lance was able to do that.

It makes no sense to discuss nonsense. 10.02 was raced while laughing and talking. 10.07 was the WC-Time in 2003 at full speed. No more, no less. Get your data straight.

9,58 is impossible without doping, no matter if you have 2 meter legs or not. You are free to be blind. Its your right. Welcome to the clinic.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
i'm not a sprinter, but a distance man myself. when i watch bolt, and i have seen maybe 10 different races. he is smooth and fast. i think if he stays injury
free, he will dominate for some time.:cool:

He had quite good technique. watch his legs and how high they are compared to some of the other athletes.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What you mean? I dont get your point.

Nobody runs 8,8. Not now, not tomorrow. 8.8 is like climbing to Alpe d Huez at 30 km/h. Not even Epo-Lance was able to do that.

It makes no sense to discuss nonsense. 10.02 was raced while laughing and talking. 10.07 was the WC-Time in 2003 at full speed. No more, no less. Get your data straight.

9,58 is impossible without doping, no matter if you have 2 meter legs or not. You are free to be blind. Its your right. Welcome to the clinic.

Sorry typo. I meant 9.8 to 9.9 seconds.

I quote: "On Monday night at the Stade de France in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis, Kim Collins of Saint Kitts and Nevis became only the third non-American to win the men’s 100 metres at the World Championships. Collins won the final from lane one in 10.07 seconds, the slowest time since Carl Lewis won the inaugural championship in 1983."

http://www.geocities.com/sprintingelite2/collinschamp.html for the article.

One race thats outside what I said. Fair enough, but my point is still valid. Look at who won. Then the majority of major mens 100m since the 1908s, excluding the 2003 world championships and the 1995 world championship (Bailey @ 9.97) are won with a time substantially below 10.02. I checked the rest of the winning times and runners up, all in the 9.8 and 9.9 range going back to Seoul. You try talking and laughing while sprinting 100 metres in ten seconds. It will be harder than ridding up Alpe d'Huez. Care to discuss the nonsense anymore?

I'm not blind, just not giving a toss. If you want doping look at Caster Semenya, not Bolt.

I read an article around Athens 2004 about sprinting about the nature of sprinting. Sport Journal extract to be exact, talking about the evolution of running and training. It explained the finite qualitative measures one can improve upon and noted no runner is perfect. The article discussed the breakdown of a 100m, the reaction and then acceleration phases and leveling out. Then they looked at current reaction times of top sprinters and who was fastest at particular intervals. Gatlin, Montgomery, Chambers and Greene were all looked at. Then physique and ideal body types were discussed and the dynamics involved and it was pointed out none of these guys had the ideal build to have a major physical advantage. Why? Their size, they needed to be over 6 feet, longer limbs, and most were between 175cm and 180cm, thus no big advantage. The nail biter for me was how they explained future world records. Size was a factor and stringing together more consistent intervals. On paper when they took the fastest intervals of all the worlds best runners one stood out. Ben Johnson. If he ever managed to stop racing horses after his ban, got back into competition and put his best splits into one run he'd have hit the 9.5 range. Yes he was on the juice, but he wasn't exceptionally tall either.

So am I surprised at Bolt given his size and pedigree? No, given what I've read and heard over the years. Did I think he'd be this fast. Yeah when I saw him run, no shock. Heck I even predicted the winning time in Beijing in the 100m, but I thought Powell would get it. You'll need more than supposition to make most people believe either guy is doping. How about some dodgy behaviour or wandering misleading statements, ala Floyd or LA. There isn't any, just people on a doping forum questioning. They're entitled too, it just isn't not good enough to prove anything. Also look at IAAF bans for doping. Four to eight years. You'd have to have a PhD in applied chemistry and sophisticated labs to even consider doping, given what cheats in athletics have gone through once caught.

Has anyone bothered to ask why the women aren't touching Flo-Jo's records? But in the men they are breaking the Seoul records. Weird huh. Could dynamics, technique and size be the major reason and not drugs? Oh thats right, talent doesn't matter, its all about the syringe in this thread.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I read an article around Athens 2004 about sprinting about the nature of sprinting. Sport Journal extract to be exact, talking about the evolution of running and training. It explained the finite qualitative measures one can improve upon and noted no runner is perfect. The article discussed the breakdown of a 100m, the reaction and then acceleration phases and leveling out. Then they looked at current reaction times of top sprinters and who was fastest at particular intervals. Gatlin, Montgomery, Chambers and Greene were all looked at. Then physique and ideal body types were discussed and the dynamics involved and it was pointed out none of these guys had the ideal build to have a major physical advantage. Why? Their size, they needed to be over 6 feet, longer limbs, and most were between 175cm and 180cm, thus no big advantage. The nail biter for me was how they explained future world records. Size was a factor and stringing together more consistent intervals. On paper when they took the fastest intervals of all the worlds best runners one stood out. Ben Johnson. If he ever managed to stop racing horses after his ban, got back into competition and put his best splits into one run he'd have hit the 9.5 range. Yes he was on the juice, but he wasn't exceptionally tall either.

So am I surprised at Bolt given his size and pedigree? No, given what I've read and heard over the years. Did I think he'd be this fast. Yeah when I saw him run, no shock. Heck I even predicted the winning time in Beijing in the 100m, but I thought Powell would get it. You'll need more than supposition to make most people believe either guy is doping. How about some dodgy behaviour or wandering misleading statements, ala Floyd or LA. There isn't any, just people on a doping forum questioning. They're entitled too, it just isn't not good enough to prove anything. Also look at IAAF bans for doping. Four to eight years. You'd have to have a PhD in applied chemistry and sophisticated labs to even consider doping, given what cheats in athletics have gone through once caught.

Has anyone bothered to ask why the women aren't touching Flo-Jo's records? But in the men they are breaking the Seoul records. Weird huh. Could dynamics, technique and size be the major reason and not drugs? Oh thats right, talent doesn't matter, its all about the syringe in this thread.

+1. Nice post. One disagreement: its all about the syringe for one particular poster, most other posters are in agreement with you Galic Ho.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
i'm not disagreeing with you but my claims aren't incorect. In Australia, swimmers are looked upon like they have sunshine coming out of their ****.108 world records is too much too believe that it is all clean. Swimming is in a big doping problem. Australian media are oblivious to that and choose to ignore the facts. I have heard many times before that swimming's anti doping tests aren't up to the level of where they could be like cycling. i think australian 's need to recognise that some of our own are most likely not as clean as we all report they are. or swimming in general.

Agree with all you said. Swimmers are treated like royalty in Australia. Look at the Rice love in before and after Beijing. Heck channel 7 threw $700K at her to stay away from channel 9 before the 2008 Olympics were over. More attention was given to her dating life than her performances and how she trains. The australian media are ignorant, they won't let facts get in the way of glamour. Take the pre 2004 Athens press over the debacle at the AIS with the mens track cycling team. Heaps of rumours and denials of open and used syringes in the dorm trash bins (best one I heard was guys buying roids from asia and having them posted to their home in their own name). Result, throw Kersten and Dabke off the team and let the others race. Nice work!

The media and olympic committees need to inform the public of what type of testing takes place and how often. You mentioned AFL earlier. It's a joke. Demetriou has no interest in cleaning his sport up. Look at Cousins. Then there is the NRL. Another joke. Everyone in Newcastle knew Johns had a problem before his UK ecstasy arrest. Media prefer to shut their mouth when its their own countrymen. Look at Melloulii who beat Hackett in the 1500m swimming. He's labelled as a bad sport and a drug cheat for seving an 18 month ban. It was from ADD medication called Adderall, a type of amphetamine. Hardly hard core cheating. Phelps takes ADHD medication too. SBS did the same to Contador after he beat Evans in 2007. Tall poppy syndrome. Remember the French positive for Thorpe after he retired. We never did hear all about that in Australia. Instead we heard lots about "unscrupulous and dodgy" French labs. Wonder where I've heard that before.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
The media and olympic committees need to inform the public of what type of testing takes place and how often. You mentioned AFL earlier. It's a joke. Demetriou has no interest in cleaning his sport up. Look at Cousins. Then there is the NRL. Another joke. Everyone in Newcastle knew Johns had a problem before his UK ecstasy arrest. Media prefer to shut their mouth when its their own countrymen. Look at Melloulii who beat Hackett in the 1500m swimming. He's labelled as a bad sport and a drug cheat for seving an 18 month ban. It was from ADD medication called Adderall, a type of amphetamine. Hardly hard core cheating. Phelps takes ADHD medication too. SBS did the same to Contador after he beat Evans in 2007. Tall poppy syndrome. Remember the French positive for Thorpe after he retired. We never did hear all about that in Australia. Instead we heard lots about "unscrupulous and dodgy" French labs. Wonder where I've heard that before.

After such a good post, now this rubbish.

The coverage on Thorpe's drug investigation was a media show, but that's not Thorpe's fault. Once again, l'Equipe leaked a story from the AFLD which anyone should be critical about. The AFLD-l'Equipe relationship was highly unethical because it bypassed measures put in place to protect athletes from false positive results. Except for cycling, positive results are only announced when both A and B samples are positive, not after a "non-negative" A sample. This is what happened with Thorpe and this is why he, the ASADA, WADA and FINA were so critical of the "French labs". Thorpe was investigated by both the ASADA and WADA for testosterone and luteinizing hormone and these were dismissed. Due process and found innocent.

AFL and NRL positives = almost always marijuana and ecstasy. Social drugs, not PEDs. Unless it affects their job, they shouldn't be testing for social drugs IMO. Social drugs do not equal PEDs. Ben Cousins did his time and rehabilitated from a coke addiction. A social drug with a big social problem for Cousins. He should have been given a second chance, just like any of us if we make a mistake. And this was a mistake, unlike the PEDs that we are mostly concerned with on this forum. He was young, rich and arrogant, got hooked on cocaine, and then did some mightily stupid things. He has since cleaned up, been on the sidelines for over a year and done his time, and is now redeeming for his addiction. Johns = ecstasy, another social drug.

Why the fascination with social drugs in sports? Do we think that young and rich sportsmen are above the same behaviour that most of us had when we were in our teens and 20s? Hell, they have even more opportunity because they have the money, are showered with attention, and get all the A-list party invites. They are just as susceptible to the pressures and desires we all face at one time or another. The fact that the AFL and NRL are testing for social drugs is just making a mockery of the role models that they want every player to be: if they didn't test for social drugs, then the public would not know about their social drug use, and they would be the role models that the administration so desperately wants. Look at Boonen: Belgium announces out-of-competition positives, France and most other countries do not. So everyone knows of Boonen's indiscretions, but French riders could be happily snorting away in a social setting and face no court of public opinion or recriminations. Yet here we are worrying about social drug use in sportspeople when in the last few months AFL and NRL players have been accused of rape, glassing and beating their girlfriends, defecating on hotel room floors, and driving under the influence. Almost all of these incidents were alcohol fueled. Now tell me where the problem is and where does social drug use rate in all of this?

Lastly, to change tack a little, I have always wondered why a cortisone or local anesthetic injection into a painful joint or muscle is not considered performance enhancing. If it takes away the pain and allows an athlete to perform at a higher level than their injury would have permitted, then isn't this performance enhancing? In addition, from an athlete's health perspective which is one reason for the testing for PEDs, the continued activity on a joint or muscle in which the pain has been masked would result in further damage and deterioration to this joint or muscle and hence risk the well-being of the athlete (not life, but definitely limb).

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
AFL and NRL positives = almost always marijuana and ecstasy. Social drugs, not PEDs.
That is because they do little or no testing for PEDs in AFL & NRL. AFL has never ever done a single test for Epo. And according to people at ASADA, the teams are advised when they will be tested for PEDs like steroids a couple of weeks in advance.

If you think players like Cousins & Kerr who are built like Ben Johnson but have the endurance of Haile Gebreselassie are not using PEDs, then you are completely dreaming. And if you think Cousins just made a little mistake with recreational drugs, then you haven't been reading the papers. Don't you recall his involvement with Mainwaring? What do you think he was delivering to him that fateful night?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Lastly, to change tack a little, I have always wondered why a cortisone or local anesthetic injection into a painful joint or muscle is not considered performance enhancing. If it takes away the pain and allows an athlete to perform at a higher level than their injury would have permitted, then isn't this performance enhancing? In addition, from an athlete's health perspective which is one reason for the testing for PEDs, the continued activity on a joint or muscle in which the pain has been masked would result in further damage and deterioration to this joint or muscle and hence risk the well-being of the athlete (not life, but definitely limb).

That is an interesting point and from a perspective I have never thought of...but it makes sense. My ortho was always reluctant to give me cortisone over extended periods for knee and shoulder injuries due to potential long-term issues...but in professional sports it's as common rubbing Ben-G@y on a sore spot...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
patswana said:
If you think players like Cousins & Kerr who are built like Ben Johnson but have the endurance of Haile Gebreselassie are not using PEDs, then you are completely dreaming. And if you think Cousins just made a little mistake with recreational drugs, then you haven't been reading the papers. Don't you recall his involvement with Mainwaring? What do you think he was delivering to him that fateful night?

Cousins is not built like Ben Johnson, far from it. Furthermore, I did not say Cousins made a "little" mistake. Do not misquote me. I actually said, amongst other things, that: "He was young, rich and arrogant, got hooked on cocaine, and then did some mightily stupid things."

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
by mongol in an other thread, it say everything of how bad this once good thread has become:

*Naive, casual fans: probably doping, but they all are anyway so who cares

*Fanboys and uninformed obsessives: "My hero is clean!" (he trains hard, has a heart the size of a moose's etc)

* Informed rational opinion: History, evidence and knowledge have shown us that there are many reasons to be sceptical regarding superhuman performances in sports that are proven to be rife with doping.

My opinion: Just replace heart size with 2 meter legs. Just a question:
If the height is so important, how you dreamers explain Michael Johnsons times?

elapid
How comes you think i am the only one who thinks Bolt is doping? Just look at the stard of this thread before talking nonsens.

galic
Just read before tossing out: I never said its all syringe. Just google Heredia, Kelli White, Ben Johnson, doping etc. or well just dream on.

Good Night, and Good luck to ya all.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
After such a good post, now this rubbish.

The coverage on Thorpe's drug investigation was a media show, but that's not Thorpe's fault. Once again, l'Equipe leaked a story from the AFLD which anyone should be critical about. The AFLD-l'Equipe relationship was highly unethical because it bypassed measures put in place to protect athletes from false positive results. Except for cycling, positive results are only announced when both A and B samples are positive, not after a "non-negative" A sample. This is what happened with Thorpe and this is why he, the ASADA, WADA and FINA were so critical of the "French labs". Thorpe was investigated by both the ASADA and WADA for testosterone and luteinizing hormone and these were dismissed. Due process and found innocent.

Agree with you about Thorpe. I knew all that you said about him, my point was more or less to highlight the fact the media does not inform the general public with all the information. Information that is crucial to come to a balanced conclusion. Like what you mentioned above, more people conclude like I illustrated, "the French labs are dodgy", without your explanation, which is correct, the lack of info and perspective can lead to dodgy conclusions.

elapid said:
AFL and NRL positives = almost always marijuana and ecstasy. Social drugs, not PEDs. Unless it affects their job, they shouldn't be testing for social drugs IMO. Social drugs do not equal PEDs. Ben Cousins did his time and rehabilitated from a coke addiction. A social drug with a big social problem for Cousins. He should have been given a second chance, just like any of us if we make a mistake. And this was a mistake, unlike the PEDs that we are mostly concerned with on this forum. He was young, rich and arrogant, got hooked on cocaine, and then did some mightily stupid things. He has since cleaned up, been on the sidelines for over a year and done his time, and is now redeeming for his addiction. Johns = ecstasy, another social drug.

Could say the same about Wendell Sailor and his cocaine incident in South Africa. But he was caught and suspended because there was testing. Cousins was never suspended by the AFL, only his team because of social pressure. My point, and it wasn't clear, was that the AFL and NRL do very little testing. The Broncos do about 90 tests a year in house. Thats it. Like patswana pointed they don't screen for EPO as it is too expensive (administration claim that I don't buy). Johns was tested 11 times in his entire career. He admitted he knew how to get away with recreational drugs, so why not PEDs? Yes Cousins deserved a second chance (not by his long suffering girlfriend he did a runner on) but if the gooses at the Weagles base at Subiaco pulled their heads in they would have kept their 2 most gifted players and fulfilled an almost certain football dynasty. They didn't and are now wooden spoon contenders. They should have been testing for social drugs because failure to do so can ruin players careers and teams competitive advantage.

patswana said:
That is because they do little or no testing for PEDs in AFL & NRL. AFL has never ever done a single test for Epo. And according to people at ASADA, the teams are advised when they will be tested for PEDs like steroids a couple of weeks in advance.

Agree with this. If the testing doesn't catch big name stars doing social drugs what hope does it have of catching the major PEDs that can help win a finals playoff spot or worse, get you through a GF? Rugby League players today don't look the same as guys from the 1980s. They're bigger, faster, lower body fat levels and stronger. Think of Anthony Watmough for starters. Then there are the freaks at the AFL and European football leagues. The games are very fast these days. Almost too fast.

elapid said:
Why the fascination with social drugs in sports? Do we think that young and rich sportsmen are above the same behaviour that most of us had when we were in our teens and 20s? Hell, they have even more opportunity because they have the money, are showered with attention, and get all the A-list party invites. They are just as susceptible to the pressures and desires we all face at one time or another. The fact that the AFL and NRL are testing for social drugs is just making a mockery of the role models that they want every player to be: if they didn't test for social drugs, then the public would not know about their social drug use, and they would be the role models that the administration so desperately wants. Look at Boonen: Belgium announces out-of-competition positives, France and most other countries do not. So everyone knows of Boonen's indiscretions, but French riders could be happily snorting away in a social setting and face no court of public opinion or recriminations. Yet here we are worrying about social drug use in sportspeople when in the last few months AFL and NRL players have been accused of rape, glassing and beating their girlfriends, defecating on hotel room floors, and driving under the influence. Almost all of these incidents were alcohol fueled. Now tell me where the problem is and where does social drug use rate in all of this?

Agree, there is a big focus on social drug use. Given the average intelligence of most NRL, AFL and Union players, I'm not surprised at what happens. They bond by drinking. Then drink far too much. Its fun sometimes and most behave themselves, others go way too far. I've lost count of the number of incidents. Greg Bird comes to mind. I didn't like that the papers threw everything bar the kitchen sink at the guy and so did the bloggers on there websites. He deserved his day in court and until then, I reserved judgment. Brett Stewart on the other hand was given every courtesy imaginable, with it even suggested the girl he (allegedly) sexually assaulted made up her story. No commentary was available on any articles regarding Stewart. Not one. It's been ignored and I believe will probably disappear altogether when the court case arrives.

When I've been very fit, by my own personal standards, I've gone out with mates and drunk towards a reasonable amount. From experience I've consumed amounts, that aren't excessive, but still enough to get me past tipsy when I wasn't as fit. Amounts that my friends who are 3 to 5 inches and 25-60 kilos heavier than I am (I'm 5'7" and 65kg) were close to being wasted on. I found I would wake @ 8am after 5 hours sleep and would not have any hangover and was fine for the entire day. My mates aren't the same (probably because they're fat and lazy...metabolism and muscle thing). My point is that I find it hard to believe that I could drink more and be less affected by it than pro footballers who we've illustrated must be blind drunk to behave the way they have. In my opinion its reasonable to suspect there is a portion poping god knows what on a regular basis to supplement their alcohol consumption and end up totally plastered.

Where is the problem? It's a behavioural problem, the same as using PEDs. Just as the NRL and AFL booze problems have a history steming from a team drinking culture, cycling has a PED problem originating from Omerta and the system wide acceptance that you had to dope to win let alone compete. The mentality is the same, the drug of choice is different. Psychologically and neurologically they are addictions and ingrained cognitive acceptable behaviours. The problem is the systems and structures that created and fostered these addictions are in charge of policing and correcting them. I fail to see how the same type of thinking that created the problem can find a solution and successfully counter the issue. For the record, on a legal standing I believed Boonen should have raced and am glad he was allowed to. But get the guy some help.

elapid said:

I have found it odd *** well. I tend to suspect its more NFL and NHL that wander into this territory and apart from naming a few teams and big players, I simply do not know enough. My concern is unsafe health practices. If you're injured don't play. Any credible doctor or medic who would think there is a valid ethical reason to soften the pain, is someone I wouldn't whole heartedly trust. Team pressure explains part of it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Again, nice post Galic Ho and thanks for your reply. I agree with everything you said (although Cousins was banned for a year by the AFL in 2008) and was not aware that so little PED testing was done in AFL and NRL. I would hardly think that either the AFL or NRL are so short of money that they would not to be able to conduct EPO or steroid testing, at least on select players or positions.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Social drugs do not equal PEDs. Ben Cousins did his time and rehabilitated from a coke addiction.

Lets not forget meth is a performance enhancing drug.

Cousin's was being rehabilitated from methamphetamine addiction not coke addiction.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
LastRide said:
Lets not forget meth is a performance enhancing drug.

Cousin's was being rehabilitated from methamphetamine addiction not coke addiction.

I wasn't aware of that - I knew he was caught with traces of ecstasy and cocaine, but didn't know he was addicted to ice. However, meth, like coke, are both performance-enhancing when used in competition, not out-of-competition. Cousins's drug use was recreational and social (and addictive), not for performance-enhancing. I can certainly buy Galic Ho's argument that any drug use (or addiction) is testament to a state of mind that accepts this behaviour as normal. However, I will still stand by my belief that social but illegal drugs are not the main problem. For most AFL and NRL players, the biggest problem is alcohol, their ability to drink copious quantities of it, and their inability to handle being smashing drunk. If PEDs are a problem, then the administrative bodies should test for these rather than social drugs which have no bearing on how these players perform on the field (as long as they are not under the influence of them at the time of either training or games).

Galic Ho said:
Agree with you about Thorpe. I knew all that you said about him, my point was more or less to highlight the fact the media does not inform the general public with all the information. Information that is crucial to come to a balanced conclusion. Like what you mentioned above, more people conclude like I illustrated, "the French labs are dodgy", without your explanation, which is correct, the lack of info and perspective can lead to dodgy conclusions.

Could say the same about Wendell Sailor and his cocaine incident in South Africa. But he was caught and suspended because there was testing. Cousins was never suspended by the AFL, only his team because of social pressure. My point, and it wasn't clear, was that the AFL and NRL do very little testing. The Broncos do about 90 tests a year in house. Thats it. Like patswana pointed they don't screen for EPO as it is too expensive (administration claim that I don't buy). Johns was tested 11 times in his entire career. He admitted he knew how to get away with recreational drugs, so why not PEDs? Yes Cousins deserved a second chance (not by his long suffering girlfriend he did a runner on) but if the gooses at the Weagles base at Subiaco pulled their heads in they would have kept their 2 most gifted players and fulfilled an almost certain football dynasty. They didn't and are now wooden spoon contenders. They should have been testing for social drugs because failure to do so can ruin players careers and teams competitive advantage.

Agree with this. If the testing doesn't catch big name stars doing social drugs what hope does it have of catching the major PEDs that can help win a finals playoff spot or worse, get you through a GF? Rugby League players today don't look the same as guys from the 1980s. They're bigger, faster, lower body fat levels and stronger. Think of Anthony Watmough for starters. Then there are the freaks at the AFL and European football leagues. The games are very fast these days. Almost too fast.

Agree, there is a big focus on social drug use. Given the average intelligence of most NRL, AFL and Union players, I'm not surprised at what happens. They bond by drinking. Then drink far too much. Its fun sometimes and most behave themselves, others go way too far. I've lost count of the number of incidents. Greg Bird comes to mind. I didn't like that the papers threw everything bar the kitchen sink at the guy and so did the bloggers on there websites. He deserved his day in court and until then, I reserved judgment. Brett Stewart on the other hand was given every courtesy imaginable, with it even suggested the girl he (allegedly) sexually assaulted made up her story. No commentary was available on any articles regarding Stewart. Not one. It's been ignored and I believe will probably disappear altogether when the court case arrives.

When I've been very fit, by my own personal standards, I've gone out with mates and drunk towards a reasonable amount. From experience I've consumed amounts, that aren't excessive, but still enough to get me past tipsy when I wasn't as fit. Amounts that my friends who are 3 to 5 inches and 25-60 kilos heavier than I am (I'm 5'7" and 65kg) were close to being wasted on. I found I would wake @ 8am after 5 hours sleep and would not have any hangover and was fine for the entire day. My mates aren't the same (probably because they're fat and lazy...metabolism and muscle thing). My point is that I find it hard to believe that I could drink more and be less affected by it than pro footballers who we've illustrated must be blind drunk to behave the way they have. In my opinion its reasonable to suspect there is a portion poping god knows what on a regular basis to supplement their alcohol consumption and end up totally plastered.

Where is the problem? It's a behavioural problem, the same as using PEDs. Just as the NRL and AFL booze problems have a history steming from a team drinking culture, cycling has a PED problem originating from Omerta and the system wide acceptance that you had to dope to win let alone compete. The mentality is the same, the drug of choice is different. Psychologically and neurologically they are addictions and ingrained cognitive acceptable behaviours. The problem is the systems and structures that created and fostered these addictions are in charge of policing and correcting them. I fail to see how the same type of thinking that created the problem can find a solution and successfully counter the issue. For the record, on a legal standing I believed Boonen should have raced and am glad he was allowed to. But get the guy some help.

I have found it odd *** well. I tend to suspect its more NFL and NHL that wander into this territory and apart from naming a few teams and big players, I simply do not know enough. My concern is unsafe health practices. If you're injured don't play. Any credible doctor or medic who would think there is a valid ethical reason to soften the pain, is someone I wouldn't whole heartedly trust. Team pressure explains part of it.

but if you are an injured athlete, and your job is to win, what then? we
are trained and expected to suffer for our sport. "just put me back on my bike"... :cool:

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I wasn't aware of that - I knew he was caught with traces of ecstasy and cocaine, but didn't know he was addicted to ice. However, meth, like coke, are both performance-enhancing when used in competition, not out-of-competition. Cousins's drug use was recreational and social (and addictive), not for performance-enhancing. I can certainly buy Galic Ho's argument that any drug use (or addiction) is testament to a state of mind that accepts this behaviour as normal. However, I will still stand by my belief that social but illegal drugs are not the main problem. For most AFL and NRL players, the biggest problem is alcohol, their ability to drink copious quantities of it, and their inability to handle being smashing drunk. If PEDs are a problem, then the administrative bodies should test for these rather than social drugs which have no bearing on how these players perform on the field (as long as they are not under the influence of them at the time of either training or games).

You raise some interesting points. Does anyone know if these NRL/ARL players are tested after games? Are they tested throughout the season? Are they tested in the off season? From all accounts it doesnt sound like they are tested much at all.

There has been a few instances of cyclists being found + for ecstasy, Lee Vertongen (NZL) comes to mind. If my memory serves me correctly he didnt get any sort of ban after being found positive during an "in competition" test at the national championships.