• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I'm delighted with the outcome, but the EU only has itself to blame - no doubt the moronic immigration policy, or lack thereof, was one of the main driving forces behind this result. There's only so much people will tolerate against their will.

Re:

ferryman said:
As predicted, the Scottish vote was very pro remain. All 32 councils with a stay vote. In the end 62% to 32%. Looking forward to hearing from Wee Nic later today:) Indy 2 on its way...

I can't see it myself. The EU issue during the Independence Referendum was that an independent Scotland would not automatically be allowed to join the EU (or retain it's membership under the UKs or however we want to word it). This hasn't changed, Spain and Belgium would still veto Scotland's membership due to their own worries about setting a precedent for a Catalan or Basque divide or Walloon/Flemish split.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Question is, will anything actually change? I've heard a couple of Politics or Economics professors saying that very little, especially immigration, will change. They say that the UK economy is so dependent on it that lowering it by too much will have a negative effect.

At least UKIP is dead. Their only goal was leaving the EU, and that's been achieved. I think Carswell will take over and create a right-wing Tory party, and split the Tories. Or at least I hope.

Only Denmark, Austria and Netherlands are in danger of leaving IMO. Italy is pretty sure to stay right now, and so is Spain. France maybe.
Nope. Even the biggest EU-sceptical party (Danish People's Party) do not want us to leave, though they would like us to renegotiate our membership.

"Do you want Denmark to leave the EU?" Nej=No, Ja=Yes, Ved ikke= Don't know.
0x5cjrO.png

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Really unfortunate that I provided you with that quote. It will make it easy for people to dismiss the Tour odds at the RR forum even though it's unwarranted.

It's not unlike how BoJo and Nigel sought to discredit experts by pointing to their failure to predict Euro troubles and the financial crisis.

Scotland's first minister says another independence referendum is "highly likely".

Nicola Sturgeon said it was "democratically unacceptable" that Scotland faced the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will.
She said the Scottish government would begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote.
Scotland voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38%.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36621030

Re:

ebandit said:
Irondan said:
Scotland's first minister says another independence referendum is "highly likely".
i think many in england would jump to vote them out....given opportunity

scotland's population is less than 10% that of the uk......but they are given a

disproportionate voice.....

Mark L

Not at all.

In fact, the majority of the English population are concerned about a possible exit of Scotland from the UK.

At the end of the day, it seems that people over here were more concerned by immigration than a possible recession. It's a hatred that has been fuelled by the media for a long long time. To give you an example, the murder of Lee Rigby last year by two black Muslims in public was deemed to be an act of terrorism, with this being the cover of the daily mail that morning:

96c20d4488889f668abfa7ff7aa7fc99.png

In contrast, the murder of Jo Cox, similarly in a public place, by a white male, was deemed to be down to mental issues.

Also there are constant articles about immigration and immigrants really became scapegoats in plenty of places.
I hope the British people enjoy the recession. I for one cannot wait to get out of this country.

Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Find another 700 000 such people and you might have a point

CheckMyPecs said:
Just as worrying is that we seem to have entered a new era of post-factual politics.

Ah yes, the mindless nostalgia symptom.

You are right. "When I was young" politics was always conducted with morals, no one ever lied or exaggerated or said something that wasn't true, no politician anyway.

But now its the post factual era.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....speaking of curious.....there is apparently a great outcry from Brit youth that the leave vote really doesn't do them any favours...does anyone know what % of the youth voters bloc actually voted....

Cheers

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:

You are right. "When I was young" politics was always conducted with morals, no one ever lied or exaggerated or said something that wasn't true, no politician anyway.

Okay, when was the last time a referendum result in the UK flew against the quasi-unanimous advice of economic, security, health care, labour and scientific experts, as well as the country's key allies and major trading partners?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Just as worrying is that we seem to have entered a new era of post-factual politics.

Post-factual politics has been in full view since the 24 hour news cycle and that goes back to (at least) 1980. I think an argument could be made that goes back as far as wide use of the television.... or even earlier.

CheckMyPecs said:
The Hitch said:

Okay, when was the last time a referendum result in the UK flew against the quasi-unanimous advice of economic, security, health care, labour and scientific experts, as well as the country's key allies and major trading partners?
I'm sorry, but people who voted leave have their own reasons for doing so, and no one, not you, not hedge funds, allies, "experts" etc, no one, has the right to tell these people what their interests are and what they should vote for. You don't live their lives for them

And advice is not fact.

PremierAndrew said:
ebandit said:
Irondan said:
i think many in england would jump to vote them out....given opportunity

scotland's population is less than 10% that of the uk......but they are given a

disproportionate voice.....

Mark L

Not at all.

In fact, the majority of the English population are concerned about a possible exit of Scotland from the UK.

At the end of the day, it seems that people over here were more concerned by immigration than a possible recession. It's a hatred that has been fuelled by the media for a long long time. To give you an example, the murder of Lee Rigby last year by two black Muslims in public was deemed to be an act of terrorism, with this being the cover of the daily mail that morning:

In contrast, the murder of Jo Cox, similarly in a public place, by a white male, was deemed to be down to mental issues.

Also there are constant articles about immigration and immigrants really became scapegoats in plenty of places.
I hope the British people enjoy the recession. I for one cannot wait to get out of this country.

So the murder of Jo Cox was an act of group terrorism supported and endoresed by a large number of people in the UK and worldwide?

Interesting. Do you have the name of the group that was behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS