• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hfer07 said:
So UK has become the new hub for creating GT/Week long/Classics/stage winners........

If Yates wins La Vuelta, the new precedent set for UK riders is to win all 3 GT in one year...... :eek: :eek the new normal?
... and YES, Spaniards, Italians, Belgians have done it in the past, but because UK not having that historic tradition in the sport this new achievement keeps adding up to the distrust in the UK riders, given the fact that all the grand wins started happening once SKY in combination with the UK bicycling program under Brailsford was created.....

UKAD must be happy knowing all its riders are "clean" and smashing it across the globe :D
Have they?

I can only trace two occasions in history where one nation swept all 3 GTs, although there are a few occasions of one nation sweeping the Giro and Tour before the Vuelta existed, and indeed the Vuelta was very much a poor relation until the early 80s, or the mid 90s depending on your stance (it's still the runt of the GT litter to this day but has clearly increased its standing, if not to parity then at least somewhere in the same ballpark, whereas back in the 60s and 70s it was essentially the 'other' three week race and actively biased itself against Spanish riders in an attempt to make the race more internationally recognised).

Those are 1964, when Poulidor won the Vuelta and then Anquetil won the Giro and Tour, and 2008, when Contador won the Giro, then Sastre won the Tour, then Contador won the Vuelta. There are other examples of three in a row for a country but never in the same year (e.g. Merckx 1970 Giro and Tour, Bracke 1971 Vuelta; and when the Vuelta was cancelled in 1949 that allowed the Italians to win four GTs on the bounce - two Giri and two Tours. There's also Merckx and Hinault winning everything within a 12 month period, of course, and with Froome being allowed to keep his 2017 Vuelta he joins that roster.

But if Yates were to hold on to win the Vuelta, this would mark the first time in the history of cycling that one nation would win all three Grand Tours in the same year, with three different riders and the first time in history that the same nation won five back to back Grand Tours (Spain has managed 5/6 before, over 2008 and 2009, but Menchov interrupted that run in the Giro). However, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's let him actually achieve that first.

Re:

rick james said:
one is African....you know folk like to keep telling us he's a magic Kenyan
Reminds me of a joke, a Kenyan, Welshman and an Englishman walk into a bar..what can I get you asks the barman, a Giro, Tour and a Vuelta thank you. No problem. Accept the fact peoples, the Brits are just exercising their God given right of superiority. Yes, this is a troll post but unfortunately so many of the Brit defenders on here actually deep down believe that crap.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
2 proven British dopers win 2 of the 3 GTs.

Other won by another British late bloomer.

Brits dont dope.

And UKADA is the best anti doping agency in the world. Are they have close collaboration with Russian one?

Heh when Sky first announced their coming and them and DB wanting a Brit to win the TDF in 5 years I thought they were nuts. Now 3 british riders, different ones, win all GT's in 1 season. Something which NEVER has been done.

Yes there have been countries winning all GT in 1 season, but usually 2/3 were won by the same rider.

This is insane

Brits do dope but so does everyone else. It's obvious that British dope is miles ahead of Colombian dope, French dope, or Belgian dope. Russian and American dope is just pathetic these days.

The sport is what it is so the choice is either to enjoy the WWE on wheels or find something else to follow.

The e-bikes are kind of getting out of hand though. They make the sport way less entertaining to watch.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Brits do dope but so does everyone else. It's obvious that British dope is miles ahead of Colombian dope, French dope, or Belgian dope. Russian and American dope is just pathetic these days.

The sport is what it is so the choice is either to enjoy the WWE on wheels or find something else to follow.

The e-bikes are kind of getting out of hand though. They make the sport way less entertaining to watch.

Yes, but this is the British thread :D

Pretty sure Yates declared his Terb use on the form. So he wasn't trying to dope. You don't try and dope and tell CADF on your form what you are doping with. Without his declaration, I would agree, he was doping. With the form declaration, pretty obvious is was as UCI confirmed.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
Pretty sure Yates declared his Terb use on the form. So he wasn't trying to dope. You don't try and dope and tell CADF on your form what you are doping with. Without his declaration, I would agree, he was doping. With the form declaration, pretty obvious is was as UCI confirmed.

Pretty sure he got banned, therefore was doping.

But when you know who are behind the riders winning GTs to think they are clean takes huge levels of either ignorance or blind belief.

Then you have to consider who Yates beat, Piti, Astana, Quickstep, Sky, etc etc and then ask yourself how could he do it clean, just how and if he did well he is the greatest ever.......

But then reality kicks in and Yates is another doper who had a great PED program, better than the others PED programmes.

samhocking said:
He was found positive of the AAF, but clearly they didn't believe it was due to wanting to dope, because he never a received a ban for an intentional ADRV in line with that of a doper, he received a 4 month ban which was inline with a non-intentional ADRV. Big difference.

he's more credible than wiggins and froome but then the fact they he has a doping ban tells you how low that bar is.....

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
He was found positive of the AAF, but clearly they didn't believe it was due to wanting to dope, because he never a received a ban for an intentional ADRV in line with that of a doper, he received a 4 month ban which was inline with a non-intentional ADRV. Big difference.

Yates can 'they', UCI run by thank Uncle Brian Cookson for that, who conicedently who wrote a lovely (see vomit stains) piece in The Guardian yesterday, the paper that hires William Flufferingham to fluff Sky and anything British in cycling.

He recieved a ban Sam. That ban was for taking an illegal product that enhances performance. End of. Dress it up any way you want even hang a Union Jack off it, it is doping. He got a ban for doping.

Yates never produced evidence that he had asthma from childhood. So lets call a spade a spade. Yates like every other GT winner is a doper.

Re:

samhocking said:
I would need more evidence than that to consider him doping with Terb, sorry.

My biggest takeaway from the victories of Wiggin, Froome, Thomas and now Yates is how effortlessly they won their grand tours. Froome has done a good job of acting the last few years, but they all seemed to have won without doing much suffering. Please don't give me bs about the great teams they were on, if you're climbing an HC mountain and you're on a bad day you will suffer.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Huapango said:
samhocking said:
I would need more evidence than that to consider him doping with Terb, sorry.

My biggest takeaway from the victories of Wiggin, Froome, Thomas and now Yates is how effortlessly they won their grand tours. Froome has done a good job of acting the last few years, but they all seemed to have won without doing much suffering. Please don't give me bs about the great teams they were on, if you're climbing an HC mountain and you're on a bad day you will suffer.

True that. It's highly annoying seeing them winning HC-stages, dropping the rest of the field like stones, without giving the impression of being devastated.

TRENDING THREADS