• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
He's never going to be a great TT'er, but he's still young enough to improve a little and im sure he will. As mentioned above the Tour with so little iTT will be a great benefit to him. A really solid effort over the course of the week and showed like he did in the Dauphine last year he can climb with some of the best.

I think he will improve a lot in the ITT if he wants/needs to. I've honestly not seen a better climber at this age ever in the years I've been watching cycling...why not let him loose at the Vuelta this year....

Re: Re:

ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:
He's never going to be a great TT'er, but he's still young enough to improve a little and im sure he will. As mentioned above the Tour with so little iTT will be a great benefit to him. A really solid effort over the course of the week and showed like he did in the Dauphine last year he can climb with some of the best.

I think he will improve a lot in the ITT if he wants/needs to. I've honestly not seen a better climber at this age ever in the years I've been watching cycling...why not let him loose at the Vuelta this year....

In terms of climbing talent he seems to be in league with Quintana, Gesink and Schleck. Would be interesting to watch his development in Orica.

ferryman said:
Pricey_sky said:

Really? We've actually seen quite a few guys climb as well at a similar age, even recently. Schleck was 2nd at the Giro at 21. Gesink, Nairo, even TJVG, Kelderman, and Pinot have showed similar at close to the same age. I know there are others...

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

He won't be any worse than Rodriguez or the Schleck Brothers. Look how much riders like Uran and Gesink improved their TT riding.

Re:

greenedge said:
Simon Yates to start M-SR, that's quite a surprise!

Think he be working for Bling though.

movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:

He won't be any worse than Rodriguez or the Schleck Brothers. Look how much riders like Uran and Gesink improved their TT riding.

That's true and as I said I think his TT'ing will improve as he gets older and more experienced

Yeah I assumed that, there's no way he'd have the leadership position yet in a race with that distance.

Simon Clarke and Impey will be the other options for OGE if something/circumstances dictate that Matthews is no longer an option or there are dangerous breakaways.

Re:

postmanhat said:
AFAIK Chaves is supposed to be team leader for Pais Vasco, so presumably Adam will be doing a bit of doming?

So like California last year, where Chaves was the leader but couldn't match Yates.

We'll see; with Turkey following on so soon he may well just be getting the miles on, but of all the 1 week races it suits him the best so would be fun to see him have a real dig at it.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
postmanhat said:
AFAIK Chaves is supposed to be team leader for Pais Vasco, so presumably Adam will be doing a bit of doming?

So like California last year, where Chaves was the leader but couldn't match Yates.

We'll see; with Turkey following on so soon he may well just be getting the miles on, but of all the 1 week races it suits him the best so would be fun to see him have a real dig at it.

Of course Yates is gonna ride better than Chaves, it just can't be any different.

Re:

TMP402 said:
sophomore blues so far for simon so far this year. still early though.

He's just had his 11th race day of the year today so not sure what you expected. Got to the end of MSR in a pretty good group. Nondescript Paris Nice but the route didn't suit and they sent him there on near 0 racing so not sure you'd expect any better.

Nothing worse than expected so far.

Simon picked up an illness on the South African training camp which probably explains why he perhaps hasn't been quite at the level expected, although as Waterloo said it's a satisfactory start so far and will improve.

As for Adam perhaps Romandie/Dauphine as prep for the Tour will be ok.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Simon picked up an illness on the South African training camp which probably explains why he perhaps hasn't been quite at the level expected, although as Waterloo said it's a satisfactory start so far and will improve.

i'm excited about the possibility of a huge time loss on the cobblestones, allowing for attacks on the mountain stages.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

No defending his title at the Tour of Turkey then?

lemon cheese cake said:
Pricey_sky said:

No defending his title at the Tour of Turkey then?

Not sure, it depends how long it takes to mend a broken finger. For some reason I thought Romandie was a week later than Turkey so it gave his hand longer to mend, however they are obviously run simultaneously.

TRENDING THREADS