• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
JRanton said:
These guys are really good.

Yes they continue to develop well and are performing against some of the very best.

They are performing very well,i'm curious if Sky will manage to get them at the end of the year.If i remember right Brailsford promise to get them from 2016 on.Or maybe it will end with Little Richie joining the party and the brothers staying at OGE.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Pricey_sky said:
JRanton said:
These guys are really good.

Yes they continue to develop well and are performing against some of the very best.

They are performing very well,i'm curious if Sky will manage to get them at the end of the year.If i remember right Brailsford promise to get them from 2016 on.Or maybe it will end with Little Richie joining the party and the brothers staying at OGE.

To be honest I've said since last year I think Sky will pull out all the stops to get them for next season, it may well end up with Porte going the other way. If they get the freedom then it will be a great move however if they are just hired to slave for Froome they should stay at Orica.

Their destination at the end of this season will be very interesting. They already have an offer "on the table" to stay with OGE but there can be miniscule doubt that UK Postal (aka SKY) will go all out to sign them. As to whether that is the right move at this point of their career is open to speculation. OGE is a more relaxed atmosphere but one where, to date, they've look to have flourished and been given opportunities that would not have come their way at SKY.

SKY's offer will no doubt be larger $$wise but as to whether it is an ideal development environment may be open to debate. Thomas is probably the only "younger" rider I could point to having developed significantly in his time at SKY. The pressure of being "British hopes" at a Brit team may/may not be helpful. Neither Yates is, at this point, a particularly adept TTer; SKY's resources may certainly be a plus in this regard although OGE is far from backward in this field.

Have they already made up their mind ? They certainly haven't put ink to paper on the OGE offer. In the off season, OGE DID announce signings of 3 young AUS riders for 2016. Two of these, Rob Power & Jack Haig, are seen as being major climbing talent and the third, Alex Edmondson, is part of the AUS Teams Pursuit and may be TT material. Are these signings part cover for Yates' departure or for potential/likely retirements ?

I can imagine that there will be some serious offers on the table for them over the summer and not just from Sky and OGE. Just my opinion but I have a feeling they would want to stay as a pair and not separate at this stage of their careers.

Another thought is that with Simon in this form he could really do well in FW, I'm guessing Orica will work for Gerro at AGR and LBL.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
I can imagine that there will be some serious offers on the table for them over the summer and not just from Sky and OGE. Just my opinion but I have a feeling they would want to stay as a pair and not separate at this stage of their careers.

Another thought is that with Simon in this form he could really do well in FW, I'm guessing Orica will work for Gerro at AGR and LBL.

Yep. And his ride at MSR bodes well for his ability to cope in the longer races too.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

Albasini has an excellent record at FW (2ND in 2012) and a number of top 10's so he may be the selected man for Fleche. Maybe they may look at SY as an alternate option but it may be a case of him getting some further experience in the Ardennes races.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

I really hope they dont move to Sky, unless Porte, Froome, König and Poels suddenly retire or move teams.

Seem like S.Yates can ITT a bit,great performance overall for him.I think Sky will be ready to give them good money,no way they will miss them the 2nd time.It will be a big blow for Sky,if those two end on another team.

Have little doubt that other teams will make offers, possibly quite lucrative ones, but SKY probably has the deepest pockets and they would most likely look at an English speaking team (or primarily Eng speaking) which narrows the field considerably. Further to my earlier post re OGE's AUS signings for 2016. Edmondson (the teams pursuiter) won yesterday's junior Tour of Flanders. Interesting !

I don't see why they would be concerned about a possible move to Sky. If that happened, I'm pretty sure they would get top billing within the team; I would be more concerned for riders such as Porte and Henao if that were to happen, as they would be the ones losing standing. Never underestimate the power of marketing.

TRENDING THREADS