• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Squire said:
So with Cyclingnews seemingly announcing Simon for the Austrian climber's classic, is he actually not doing the Vuelta?
Given the crossover with dates, then that would appear to be the case SHOULD this news be factual.

Am certainly hoping that he is not riding the Vuelta as he really was running on empty by the end of the Tour which was subsequently borne out by his showing at San Sebastian. Can see little to be gained by running him completely into the ground at the Vuelta

It seems that Simon will ride the Pro Oztaler one day which seems a brute of a parcours - My guess is he will then ride the two Canadian races or the Tour of Britain - That will be an interesting choice - I suspect Yates is tired from his exertions in the TDF, but at the same time it will give Haig more opportunities.

Re:

yaco said:
It seems that Simon will ride the Pro Oztaler one day which seems a brute of a parcours - My guess is he will then ride the two Canadian races or the Tour of Britain - That will be an interesting choice - I suspect Yates is tired from his exertions in the TDF, but at the same time it will give Haig more opportunities.

SY not riding Vuelta would certainly cement Haig's Vuelta selection (likely in any case) but I'm not sure I agree with you re "more opportunities". If you simply define it as more GT experience, esp as part of a GC campaign then most certainly yes. If you are meaning more opportunities to ride for himself ... not seeing it given it will be largely centred on AY with Chaves as the wild card.

Personally I'd be sending Kreuziger to the Laurentian races, given he hasn't had any clear opportunities to ride for himself this season and AY to TOB .... but what do we know ?

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

SY not riding Vuelta would certainly cement Haig's Vuelta selection (likely in any case) but I'm not sure I agree with you re "more opportunities". If you simply define it as more GT experience, esp as part of a GC campaign then most certainly yes. If you are meaning more opportunities to ride for himself ... not seeing it given it will be largely centred on AY with Chaves as the wild card.

Personally I'd be sending Kreuziger to the Laurentian races, given he hasn't had any clear opportunities to ride for himself this season and AY to TOB .... but what do we know ?

Certain Haig will be given the opportunity to go for a stage victory if circumstances permit like S.Yates in last years Vuelta - Agree with your race choices for Yates and Kreuziger.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Certain Haig will be given the opportunity to go for a stage victory if circumstances permit like S.Yates in last years Vuelta - Agree with your race choices for Yates and Kreuziger.

Much as I'd like to see Haig actually getting such a chance, I can only really see that happening if both AY & Chaves really aren't competitive and the team switched completely over to stage hunting. SY's situation last year is distinctly different to that Haig will see this time. SY was the "very real" B option for GC behind Chaves whereas this time its AY (opt A), Chaves (opt B) with Haig a primary mountain support.

The announcement that SY will ride the Pro Otztaler 5500 is odd given the earlier announcement that both brothers would ride the Vuelta. There doesn't appear to be any official confirmation yet. My personal opinion is that either the Austrians have jumped the gun and announced it as he is arguably the biggest name riding it or they have got a sniff or a hint from Orica and just announced it any way to push the issue.

Re:

wirral said:
The announcement that SY will ride the Pro Otztaler 5500 is odd given the earlier announcement that both brothers would ride the Vuelta. There doesn't appear to be any official confirmation yet. My personal opinion is that either the Austrians have jumped the gun and announced it as he is arguably the biggest name riding it or they have got a sniff or a hint from Orica and just announced it any way to push the issue.

Orica did send a provisional team with SY, Kreuziger and Cort.

Re:

yaco said:
Echelons are a worry for Orica's GC contenders - Simon seems to ride ok in echelons - Holding my hopes for Adam and Estaban.

Think much will have to do with positioning. AY did alright on stg3 of the Giro where there were some late echelons. It will hinge on whether he remains switched on and rides smart position with some big fellows around him. Chaves generally rides better position when on form .... IF he's in decent shape then he should be alright, if he's still "off" then he'll be shelled.

Re:

yaco said:
Chaves was a big surprise - 200 metres less and he holds the front group - Chaves had no trouble with sprinter stages in Dauphine and TDF - Tomorrow will tell us if he is near his top.

He was vulnerable very early in his career when they put the hammer down but he's both stronger and much more race savvy these days.

Fully agree that tomorrow will tell us the real story with regards to all 3 Orica GC men. Also noticed that Haig was both in the finishing 5 in the TTT and in the 13sec group on this stage; whilst he will be seen as climbing support it may well be that he will be told "hold on as long as you can" even if 1-2 of the trio drop off.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Chaves was a big surprise - 200 metres less and he holds the front group - Chaves had no trouble with sprinter stages in Dauphine and TDF - Tomorrow will tell us if he is near his top.

He was vulnerable very early in his career when they put the hammer down but he's both stronger and much more race savvy these days.

Fully agree that tomorrow will tell us the real story with regards to all 3 Orica GC men. Also noticed that Haig was both in the finishing 5 in the TTT and in the 13sec group on this stage; whilst he will be seen as climbing support it may well be that he will be told "hold on as long as you can" even if 1-2 of the trio drop off.

Strange to say it but Haig seems to be the 4th option for GC - My preferece is Haig rides his own race and tries to win a stage which is within his capabilities.

Great performances by the Yates brothers.

I still think that Simon could have worked a bit harder towards the end with the Izaguirre brothers on stage 8. He was following wheels too much. I know that he was tired, very tired, but he was riding for the victory.

Anyway, great start of the year.

Can say the GC guys at MS are much happier than in 2017 - All have been given their their preferred GC targets - Both Yates are in their fifth year so we should get a strong sense of their ultimate GC potential - Think the brothers are showing more in one day races, so a classic or monument is not outside the realms of possibility - I am still struggling to determine who is the best rider now or who will be the best rider.

Re:

yaco said:
Can say the GC guys at MS are much happier than in 2017 - All have been given their their preferred GC targets - Both Yates are in their fifth year so we should get a strong sense of their ultimate GC potential - Think the brothers are showing more in one day races, so a classic or monument is not outside the realms of possibility - I am still struggling to determine who is the best rider now or who will be the best rider.

I’m still struggling since their breakthrough to nail down which one is better, every time one of them gets a great result the other one matches them! :lol:

I never understood the criticism of Simon as a 'boring' rider on here. He's shown plenty of attacking instincts, often foolishly perhaps, but they came so close to paying off this time. Adam has been a bit more conservative over the past couple of seasons, but has animated the two big races he's been in this year, and would have been in with a shout of winning Tirreno if it wasn't for the crash on stage two.

Neither seemed to progress much last year, and I thought they might end up being good, rather than great GC riders. Too early to say yet if they're heading back towards the latter yet I suppose?

Re:

postmanhat said:
I never understood the criticism of Simon as a 'boring' rider on here. He's shown plenty of attacking instincts, often foolishly perhaps, but they came so close to paying off this time. Adam has been a bit more conservative over the past couple of seasons, but has animated the two big races he's been in this year, and would have been in with a shout of winning Tirreno if it wasn't for the crash on stage two.

Neither seemed to progress much last year, and I thought they might end up being good, rather than great GC riders. Too early to say yet if they're heading back towards the latter yet I suppose?
Nope, Simon Yates is an entertaining and attacking rider. Adam on the other hand has gotten a (fair) reputation of being very conservative, mostly just riding at the back without really doing anything. I have been very frustrated with him on a couple of occasions... he looks great this T-A tho, I must admit, thats not too bad! But Im afraid that it will be the same pretty anonymous TdF-performance, just keeping up.

Valv.Piti said:
postmanhat said:

Nope, Simon Yates is an entertaining and attacking rider. Adam on the other hand has gotten a (fair) reputation of being very conservative, mostly just riding at the back without really doing anything. I have been very frustrated with him on a couple of occasions... he looks great this T-A tho, I must admit, thats not too bad! But Im afraid that it will be the same pretty anonymous TdF-performance, just keeping up.

As I’ve said before there have been several interviews white Matt White on ITV over the past couple of Tours. When going through tactics he seemed to take responsibility for the Yates twins riding conservatively on each occasion, he didn’t want them going into the red against the Sky train and potentially putting the white jersey at risk. Even when Adam was only a few seconds off the podium 2 years ago, he was told by White not to risk it on the wet descent of the final mountain stage.

That’s not to say that’s always been the way they’ve been told to ride, but it does seem to make sense with what we’ve seen. The staff at Orica made no secret of how they wanted to look after the Yates twins, probably too much if I’m honest, but from what we’ve seen over the past week, perhaps it will pay off and we will see a shift in aggression from this season onwards.

TRENDING THREADS