• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Think the brothers are showing more in one day races, so a classic or monument is not outside the realms of possibility - I am still struggling to determine who is the best rider now or who will be the best rider.

We have a natural urge to compare riders and categorize them but I really think that in this case, at least so far, that there is no meaningful difference in the two. Whether it be riding style, relative strength, or skillset, you couldn't convince me at this point that one was really better or significantly different in any way from the other, at least when it comes to stuff on the bike. I think I read somewhere that their personalities are different, however.

Yep it is real fun to compare brothers! :p Perhaps all we'll be accessing over the years is who has the better palmares. That could depend mainly on luck I guess (crashes, punctures, ect) and opportunity (who goes to what race and who else they're competing against.) Right now I'd take Adam's career....we shall see how things progress.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
postmanhat said:
I never understood the criticism of Simon as a 'boring' rider on here. He's shown plenty of attacking instincts, often foolishly perhaps, but they came so close to paying off this time. Adam has been a bit more conservative over the past couple of seasons, but has animated the two big races he's been in this year, and would have been in with a shout of winning Tirreno if it wasn't for the crash on stage two.

Neither seemed to progress much last year, and I thought they might end up being good, rather than great GC riders. Too early to say yet if they're heading back towards the latter yet I suppose?
Nope, Simon Yates is an entertaining and attacking rider. Adam on the other hand has gotten a (fair) reputation of being very conservative, mostly just riding at the back without really doing anything. I have been very frustrated with him on a couple of occasions... he looks great this T-A tho, I must admit, thats not too bad! But Im afraid that it will be the same pretty anonymous TdF-performance, just keeping up.

Expect a boring A.Yates at the TDF, as the team will be built around Ewan - Yates will have one or possibly two support riders which will be Howson and Kreuziger - So Adam will need to follow wheels, though MS will bring a good squad for the TTT which will help - On the other hand Chaves and S.Yates will have a strong team at the Giro.

Re:

tobydawq said:
What the hell are they doing this week?

We wouldn't want El Pisti to become right about his thesis that the best riders skip the Ardennes.

A.Yates is recovering from a broken pelvis while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.

yaco said:
tobydawq said:

We wouldn't want El Pisti to become right about his thesis that the best riders skip the Ardennes.

A.Yates is recovering from a broken collarbone while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.

Wasn't it the pelvis? Or did he get injured again?

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Juul-Jensen said in an interview with danish media yesterday, that he is not riding the tour, but giro instead, because Mitchelton-Scott is basing their tour squad around Caleb Ewan, and he is not part of the sprint train.

Sounds odd, that the team would just give up all GC hope for the tour?

I posted this months ago - There are a couple of factors at play - One the GC rider's were unhappy in 2017 with the teams choice of GC - Each of the GC riders have been given their choice of target - So the Giro and the Vuelta will have strong climbing squads - There are several factors why Ewan is riding the TDF - Being he is ready for the race, MS has an underwhelming record in the TDF, especially stages so they expect Ewan to win a stage and MS is looking for a new sponsor. Related to this is MS needs a marquee Australian rider - Also A.Yates is happy to ride the TDF with limited support, though Kreuziger will be a valuable ally - MS can do a good TTT which can place A.Yates in a good position in the early stages of the GC battle.

RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:

A.Yates is recovering from a broken collarbone while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.

Should be pelvis.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Juul-Jensen said in an interview with danish media yesterday, that he is not riding the tour, but giro instead, because Mitchelton-Scott is basing their tour squad around Caleb Ewan, and he is not part of the sprint train.

I posted this months ago - There are a couple of factors at play - One the GC rider's were unhappy in 2017 with the teams choice of GC - Each of the GC riders have been given their choice of target - So the Giro and the Vuelta will have strong climbing squads - There are several factors why Ewan is riding the TDF - Being he is ready for the race, MS has an underwhelming record in the TDF, especially stages so they expect Ewan to win a stage and MS is looking for a new sponsor. Related to this is MS needs a marquee Australian rider - Also A.Yates is happy to ride the TDF with limited support, though Kreuziger will be a valuable ally - MS can do a good TTT which can place A.Yates in a good position in the early stages of the GC battle.

...Adam Yates is there for GC is enough to understand they would not give up all GC hopes for the Tour. And the main reason why team supports more Caleb than A. Yates might be Adam's possible lack of form because of injury.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:

Should be pelvis.
Collarbone should be pelvis? :)

Kokoso said:
yaco said:
Broccolidwarf said:

...Adam Yates is there for GC is enough to understand they would not give up all GC hopes for the Tour. And the main reason why team supports more Caleb than A. Yates might be Adam's possible lack of form because of injury.

Please read my previous post and others of a similar vein from the previous few months - This was a pre-ordained plan that was made in October and November, no matter whether A.Yates broke his pelvis - AFAIK, Yates is progressing well from injury and should be in tip-top shape for the TDF.

TRENDING THREADS