• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bruyneel Found Levi's Blood Bag

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
point is, there is nothing specific about the Tour of Utah. Besides, you're cherry picking from the past. LL was also given a 4/10 on the UCI's leaked list last year. Hardly noteworthy. The whole X won y, therefore X is doping is a pretty uninteresting inference. No doubt LL has a doping past, but that should be the 'prior' for all top 10-20 riders from a major tour anyway.

When does "The Past" start? "The past" seems to be the universal excuse.

Armstrong was also a "4". Damiano Cunego was a "3", his CONI hearing is in 2 weeks. The list is hardly the most accurate measurement.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
A Bruyneel rider not doping to a win! now that would be a shocker.

Horner at 39 has signed a 2 year contract. If that career is not PED prolonged, the pope aint a catholic.

mastersracer said:
point is, there is nothing specific about the Tour of Utah. Besides, you're cherry picking from the past. LL was also given a 4/10 on the UCI's leaked list last year. Hardly noteworthy. The whole X won y, therefore X is doping is a pretty uninteresting inference. No doubt LL has a doping past, but that should be the 'prior' for all top 10-20 riders from a major tour anyway.
Actually a 4 was considered pretty suspicious.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
That Levi is a hardcore doper is not a question. His doping history goes all the way back to his amateur days. The danger here is that unless he lied to the grand jury a lot of race directors will be left with egg on their face when indictments are revealed. The Tour of Utah treats Levi as an honorary Utahn because he lived in the state two decades ago. The USADA has been stripping people of all results in cases like Joe Papp where this is a long history of doping. Levi has been travelling around the country, squatting down, and taking big dumps on american races, not caring about the damage that will be done when his grand jury testimony shows what a fraud he is.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Humm, lets see. Levi's Blood values were so extreme that the UCI warned his manager

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...od-values-during-the-2005-Tour-de-France.aspx

Levi used to buy drugs from Contador's "Coach"
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-contadors-coach-was-a-drug-trafficker

hardly a conspiracy to think that Levi is/was a doper

But that doesn't change the fact that this thread and the initial post/issue is nothing but another bizarre episode in the clinic.
Very good performance I must say. Even for the clinic. :D

Especially this special and sensational surprise-moment was godlike. On top of that, you could read it here in the clinic first - ricarda broke the big news. He even outsprinted you, RR.
Who would have really expected that this thread would appear, after someone wins a race + the fact that it was a RS rider.....
Who would have really expected that a Columbian-fanboy and a Cunego-fanboy would cry first and loudest ?

These special surprise moments were so outstanding - like that moment when JR Ewing was shot.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you think LL cares that much about winning the Tour of Utah that he'd risk doping to win it? Maybe riders continue to be confident that they are still ahead of the testers, but it seems either incredibly arrogant or just plain stupid to dope for an event like the Tour of Utah considering all the heat surrounding anyone connected to Armstrong these days. LL always struck me as one of the smarter riders (not that the bar is very high).

Cobblestoned said:
But that doesn't change the fact that this thread and the initial post/issue is nothing but another bizarre episode in the clinic.
Very good performance I must say. Even for the clinic. :D

Especially this special and sensational surprise-moment was godlike. On top of that, you could read it here in the clinic first - ricarda broke the big news. He even outsprinted you, RR.
Who would have really expected that this thread would appear, after someone wins a race + the fact that it was a RS rider.....
Who would have really expected that a Columbian-fanboy and a Cunego-fanboy would cry first and loudest ?

These special surprise moments were so outstanding - like that moment when JR Ewing was shot.

Apparently Cobblestoned's Race Radio Made A Post alarm just went off.:cool:

mastersracer said:
Do you think LL cares that much about winning the Tour of Utah that he'd risk doping to win it? Maybe riders continue to be confident that they are still ahead of the testers, but it seems either incredibly arrogant or just plain stupid to dope for an event like the Tour of Utah considering all the heat surrounding anyone connected to Armstrong these days. LL always struck me as one of the smarter riders (not that the bar is very high).

After what happened to the testing at the Tour of Calif?

jae2460 said:
You people are ridiculous.

So anyone that wins is cheating?

What are you, French???

Levi was having a pretty good year; it's not likely he out climbed Andy Schleck & Contador...

Get a life and stop with the conspiracy theory BS.

:p
You were doing good until you wrote the bolded sentence. That put you on the spot. Not a good tactic.

mastersracer said:
It does not matter. Riders dope in the lower rankings (Cat 1 and 2) rides. People don't care. As long as there is a prize there is doping. That's the sad reality. How much advantage are they getting away with? that's the real question.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
It does not matter. Riders dope in the lower rankings (Cat 1 and 2) rides. People don't care. As long as there is a prize there is doping. That's the sad reality. How much advantage are they getting away with? that's the real question.

I think that's overly simplistic. A 1 or 2 or even domestic pro has little chance of an out of competition test unless they are being targeted for prior doping or suspicion (such as what happened to Clinger). Arguably LL also has a lot more to lose than either a domestic pro or amateur if caught and less upside from doping.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
ricara said:
Agree with your Levi comment. Am wondering about the Colombian team comment. Back when I used to race in the early '80s, there was no way that the Colombians were doping. They were insane climbers, but poor time trialers and poor descenders.

I had the opportunity to spend a week racing and training in Colombia for the '84 Pan-American Cycling Championships and found out first hand why they had the skill set they did. All of the roads were steep and winding. When all of your training is on steep hills, you naturally become a good climber. Throw in high elevations and you get even better.

They couldn't time trial because there was no road that was straight and flat to practice on. And you could NOT practice descending in Colombia. There, all of the traffic controls are basically ignored. A red light means "slow down a little before you go through". And the double-yellow line on the mountain road didn't mean anything. If you tried to practice your descending, you would die.

I didn't follow the ToU in minute detail, but didn't they beat everyone on the climbs and lose the race on the time trial? Assuming that's the case, it sounds just like the Colombians of thirty years ago. But given the easy access to PED's these days, I'm sure it would be easy for the Colombians to dope if they wanted to.

I disagree with some of your take on Colombian riders. I think that when you live at altitude and steep terrain, all non-climbers get flushed out of bike racing rather than becoming adept at it. Colombian terrain simply selects who's gonna make it as a cyclist there.

If you look at Henao, he seems quite inflexible in his hips (arched back) and thus not able to be very aerodynamic while his W/kg are similar to those of Leipheimer. Henao's TT position was quite poor at the TofU.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
jae2460 said:
You people are ridiculous.

So anyone that wins is cheating?

What are you, French???

Levi was having a pretty good year; it's not likely he out climbed Andy Schleck & Contador...

Get a life and stop with the conspiracy theory BS.

:p

Conversely, I'm pretty sure Paco is clean. ;)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:

He's risked it his entire career and been protected. If they aren't testing or aren't able to detect blood manipulation; of course he would.

For the record, apparently Gobernación de Antioquia/Orgullo Paísa's team doc once took his paycheck from Kelme. I would be highly surprised if Levi's win at the Tour of Utah was like him riding away from Pierrick Fedrigo, Christophe Bassons, Janek Tombak and David Moncoutié, flipping them off as he goes.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Levi doping at the Tour of Utah within sight of IRS World Headquarters.
That takes some balls yikes.
Or maybe it is that immunity thing?
Free Pass to dope.
Hip hip hooray for immunity.

You guys never cease to crack me up.
The Clinic is Entertainment City.

mastersracer said:
I think that's overly simplistic. A 1 or 2 or even domestic pro has little chance of an out of competition test unless they are being targeted for prior doping or suspicion (such as what happened to Clinger). Arguably LL also has a lot more to lose than either a domestic pro or amateur if caught and less upside from doping.
Let's talk about the testing in the Tour of Utah. Do you know anything about it?
I don't. All I know is that for low budget races the testing is minimal or non-existant. Difficult to believe but it happens. If that was a case in the ToU then most of everybody had a free ride.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Let's talk about the testing in the Tour of Utah. Do you know anything about it?
I don't. All I know is that for low budget races the testing is minimal or non-existant. Difficult to believe but it happens. If that was a case in the ToU then most of everybody had a free ride.

I did see a guy in a "UCI Chaperone" shirt during stage 4. I think he was just making sure UCI doesn't misbehave. :)

Polish said:
Levi doping at the Tour of Utah within sight of IRS World Headquarters.
That takes some balls yikes.
Or maybe it is that immunity thing?
Free Pass to dope.
Hip hip hooray for immunity.

You guys never cease to crack me up.
The Clinic is Entertainment City.

If the clinic is "Entertainment City" then you are the act which goes on before anyone has found their seat.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
An older rider looking for a new contract? Wouldn't be surprised if he was doped to the gills at every race.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
An older rider looking for a new contract? Wouldn't be surprised if he was doped to the gills at every race.

you honestly think the top ranked US pro rider is afraid he won't get a contract if he doesn't win events like the Tour of Utah? When was the last time Dave Zabriskie won a major event (US time trial championship doesn't count). LL is one of the few US riders that bring exposure to a sponsor regardless of their recent performances. Besides, the days of riders being 'doped to the gills' is over.

TRENDING THREADS