• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans, I told you it was his year.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Evans keeps defying my pessimistic expectations. Awesome.

Even if it all goes pear-shaped now, it's been a good Tour for anybody happy to see him at the front.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
gerrans for the win said:
disagree collingwood loseing two grand finals in a row was the greatest moment in australia history :D

I preferred the Trent Bridge Test in 2005 (I was there) but admit that it was surpassed by day 1 at the MCG this winter.

I'm rooting for Cadel because I believe in him and love his crap celebrations and nerdy lack of social skills. Can't believe I'm supporting an Aussie for the first time in my life.

Just remembered I was cheering the Aussies on in Kaiserstaughten against Japan when Tim Cahill came off the bench to win it from behind. I was there for that too. hang on a minute I'm supposed to hate the lot of yous.....

Lets make that Scotland. Now there's a cyclist in this years TdF easy to dislike.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be amazed at how well Evans has climbed so far in this tour. I have never seen him look as comfortable going up hill as he has on all of the climbs. Sure, some will argue that Contador and Anndy are not at their best, but even so he has looked like a different climber to the one I am used to seeing wrestle with his bike for km after km as the road heads north.
He also seems extra confident in what he is saying this year. I don't think he is looking at the Alpine stages as a desperate fight to hang on to his advantage, but rather a chance to extend his lead over his rivals.
And based on what I have seen so far, I think he just might.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Looks like it's down to four: Evans, Contador, F. Schleck and Sanchez.

Critical time loss for Basso on stage 16, and Andy might have to start racing for his brother.

Don't discount Basso. He could inadvertently or conciously be Evans biggest ally. If he goes frisky early on during a mountain stage Evans is the one that wouldn't need to start chasing. Contador and Frandy (nice conjunction to whomever used it first) would need to pursue as well as what remains of Voeckler's defense. That could soften them up enough to minimize Evan's risk on the steepest ramps. Basso, like Voeckler wrongly bet on the Schlecks bringing Conta, Samu and Evans back. Once that trio hit the descent it was all over.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
gerrans for the win said:
disagree collingwood loseing two grand finals in a row was the greatest moment in australia history :D

Disagree, Wayne Harmes beating them by cheating was better.

Moo Moo and Evans to fight out the finish today after the Shreks go early and collapse.

Ive rewatched all stages, Evans has been on a glorified Great Victorian Bike Ride so far, hardly raised a sweat apart from the big hills.

Kwibus said:
Well this being Evans is year is starting to become more and more interesting.

Great stuff. I think the stage to the Galibier will be incredibly important for Evans. If he survives that stage... Then I actually think he will win the Tour. I'm afraid he's going to lose time to the Galibier though.

Lot of people are saying Galibier is much easier than the other side. It's long, very long but not that steep. I think the following stage is the query for most of the GC riders. Basso should also do well on Galibier which could help Evans control the race. The advantage now for Evans is that he can use other riders that want to move up the GC or work with them like he did yesterday.

Stephen Roche evidently thinks he is the favourite. He critiscises the Shlecks as well apparently astonished about them not attacking on stage 14.

He says Cadel has worked the hardest to force all the others to work ( to win ) and be clinical and therefore earned the right to sit back while those like Contador and Basso need to liven up. The last part i don't agree with but it was on Tuesday in the SMH a day behind the events anyways.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dermie said:
Gr8 finale, new allegiance s to close down AC & samu

That was just the inevitable closing down of that small gap. What's got to chafe at Contador is that he needed Samu to maintain any separation and it got closed down. Yesterday Evans held both of them off solo.

Oldman said:
That was just the inevitable closing down of that small gap. What's got to chafe at Contador is that he needed Samu to maintain any separation and it got closed down. Yesterday Evans held both of them off solo.

Everyone has to attack Evans now so he has to make sure he follows the right moves. I still don't think Contador is at his best. He may open up gaps but I have doubts about him opening up large gaps and maintaining them. It seems Sanchez will be willing to help him but it may not be enough and Sanchez may not be able to go with Contador on the next two stages.

If Contador is going to turn the race on it's head it has to be today. It could be another day where the favourites cancel each other out by being unable to open up big time gaps which will only favour Evans and Voeckler if they can hang in there. Potentially should be the best stage of the race.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Everyone has to attack Evans now so he has to make sure he follows the right moves. I still don't think Contador is at his best. He may open up gaps but I have doubts about him opening up large gaps and maintaining them. It seems Sanchez will be willing to help him but it may not be enough and Sanchez may not be able to go with Contador on the next two stages.

If Contador is going to turn the race on it's head it has to be today. It could be another day where the favourites cancel each other out by being unable to open up big time gaps which will only favour Evans and Voeckler if they can hang in there. Potentially should be the best stage of the race.

Not criticizing you here mate but as you say at the beginning everyone has to attack Evans, which is fine. But on the other hand as there are between 3 & 5 contenders, so everyone has to close down attacks aswell!!
AC appears to have Samu as an ally, Voekler appears to really want to keep his yellow (& why wouldn't he) so if not working as an affirmed collaborator of Evans's is by default, of course the family Sherck are a unit. Wonder if the Shreck unit will stand up to Andy working for Frankie??
The computations are endless, which is great for the race, but my sleep patterns are in strife staying up until 2.00 am. I record it but cannot help myself staying up to watch the event live action.

Dermie said:
Not criticizing you here mate but as you say at the beginning everyone has to attack Evans, which is fine. But on the other hand as there are between 3 & 5 contenders, so everyone has to close down attacks aswell!!
AC appears to have Samu as an ally, Voekler appears to really want to keep his yellow (& why wouldn't he) so if not working as an affirmed collaborator of Evans's is by default, of course the family Sherck are a unit. Wonder if the Shreck unit will stand up to Andy working for Frankie??
The computations are endless, which is great for the race, but my sleep patterns are in strife staying up until 2.00 am. I record it but cannot help myself staying up to watch the event live action.

Can relate. I have watched every stage live and the sleeping has been ordinary. SBS ratings should go through the roof tonight and continue to do so until Monday morning I hope. They will obviously try to isolate Evans by letting him do most of the chasing but he has been a round a while. Tactically he is smart, it's all about having the legs on such a hard stage as today's. I'm not sure if Thomas Voeckler can hang in on this stage. Basso could be the surprise factor if he is on his best form. I think the final climb really suits him. Even though Contador has showed glimpses of brilliance as has Andy Schleck I am not expecting big time gaps between the top 5 or 6.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Can relate. I have watched every stage live and the sleeping has been ordinary. SBS ratings should go through the roof tonight and continue to do so until Monday morning I hope. They will obviously try to isolate Evans by letting him do most of the chasing but he has been a round a while. Tactically he is smart, it's all about having the legs on such a hard stage as today's. I'm not sure if Thomas Voeckler can hang in on this stage. Basso could be the surprise factor if he is on his best form. I think the final climb really suits him. Even though Contador has showed glimpses of brilliance as has Andy Schleck I am not expecting big time gaps between the top 5 or 6.

I wish for all you write

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Shrecks 1, 2 in Paris, oh no.
Cadel was massive, the yellow should've done some work but if he did not have the gas then so be it.
Chapeau to Cadel's fight back

Dermie said:
Shrecks 1, 2 in Paris, oh no.
Cadel was massive, the yellow should've done some work but if he did not have the gas then so be it.
Chapeau to Cadel's fight back

I'm not sure about that. Evan's is not out of it yet. I would have liked smaller time gaps but to me Evans is still fresher than anyone else in the race except for maybe Frank Schleck who will try and gap Evans tomorrow. Basso, Sanchez and Contador clearly don't have it but it would not surprise me if Contador tried to win tomorrow with one of his explosive attacks. Try and may not succeed. He will want to take something from the race. If anyone is psyched for a big performance in the TT it will be Evans after missing out twice before. I think he is in better shape in the third week than he was in 2007 and 2008. Schlecks have not sewn it up yet and Andy could struggle tomorrow after such a long break today. Could not understand Frank not attacking Evans until the end of the stage unless he was more tired than he looked.