• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can IB beat AC/AS in TdF '11?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 24, 2010
Visit site
Lets be rather blunt about this, If Berto turns up at any GT in perfect condition and form he will be unbeatable, we know he has the skills we know he is far smarter than the Texas Trailer Trash gives him credit for. I'm very much in the don't see him beaten for a few years camp.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is beatable, this year showed how close things can get but there more than just the cycling in this years tour, the road politics played a far far bigger role.

Siriuscat said:
Lets be rather blunt about this, If Berto turns up at any GT in perfect condition and form he will be unbeatable, we know he has the skills we know he is far smarter than the Texas Trailer Trash gives him credit for. I'm very much in the don't see him beaten for a few years camp.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is beatable, this year showed how close things can get but there more than just the cycling in this years tour, the road politics played a far far bigger role.

Maybe so but I do think he is capable of making mistakes and this brilliant piece argues the same - http://cyclocosm.com/2010/07/if-all-you-have-is-a-hammer/

May 13, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Let's see what Contador won prior to the Tour this year:

# Volta ao Algarve....etc

What Schleck won prior to the Tour this year:

Nada

I think he simply overcooked himself, his racing schedule was certainly too loaded. Besides he also had some in-house stress, lets not forget that he did not want to stay with Astana after the 2009 soap opera. I don't see him having all these problems with Riis.

Schleck is a great rider but he doesn't have what it takes to win the TDF, even if Contador retires in a few years there will be someone else at the top just not him, mentally he is too weak. Mark my words.

Back to the topic: I don't see Basso getting any younger, fasters or stronger. He can't climb with these guys, period.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Schleck is a great rider but he doesn't have what it takes to win the TDF

Given that he has what it takes to take 2nd place by 39 seconds, I would say it is fairly safe to assume he has what it takes to win it.

staubsauger said:
bro basso in 2006 was one of most just juiced to a pure robot riders i have ever seen. even sella's perfomance in 2008 had more athletic caracter as it was just heroic how he was fighting and biting to defeat the pain in the mountains every day. in 2006 (and 2005 giro) basso even suddenly learned how to tt. that performace was a shame and laughable for every cycling fan. and that's the word of a ricco fanboy ;)

lol.move your whining to the clinic please.basso was a god in 2006.ask gibo.

i have been watching some clips of basso 2006(been a long time so memory was failling me) and he indeed he was god like in the giro. if he pulls that form again next year contador and shleck will have some company in the montains. then again the tour montains and their usual 6% average percentage aren't the best kind of climbs for a tempo guy like basso