• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara and his giant ego

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've scoured the rules of participation in the Tour and checked the UCI's website and I can't find a regulation, rule or by-law that any rider needs the permission of Fabian Cancellara or even a letter from Cancellara's mother for permission to race in the way they see fit. After winning the opening stage and having six days in yellow it appears Cancellara is the only one entitled to any glory. What an oaf. And the same goes for you too, Hincapie. Maybe the weight of carrying two race radios, one for Columbia and one for Astana was the reason you got dropped on the climb.

A

Anonymous

The Colnago Kid said:
I've scoured the rules of participation in the Tour and checked the UCI's website and I can't find a regulation, rule or by-law that any rider needs the permission of Fabian Cancellara or even a letter from Cancellara's mother for permission to race in the way they see fit. After winning the opening stage and having six days in yellow it appears Cancellara is the only one entitled to any glory. What an oaf. And the same goes for you too, Hincapie. Maybe the weight of carrying two race radios, one for Columbia and one for Astana was the reason you got dropped on the climb.

I hear what you are saying, but the attack was stupid.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Boleyn said:
Also agreed. However, from what I saw it was Evans who instigated the break. If Evans is not going to get away, why did Cancellara and Hincapie go with him?

Because obviously they know better? if they had succeeded in the break, I would have thought, that's good tactics, but as they didn't, it was a waste of energy for Evans, Cancellara and Hincapie.:rolleyes:

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, what a richard. It's bike racing and anybody can have a go.

The attack yesterday was unorthodox, but he's got nothing to lose and may as well keep trying long shots. There's absoutely zero chance of his being allowed to go away with 50km remaining, whereas at 150 they did let him go.

If the breakaway had worked with him there might have been a small chance, but still a better chance than just sitting in with the bunch. It's not like Fabian had any real hope of staying away himself, what was he thinking getting annoyed?

I can imagine Evans' frustration at the people whining he was a wheelsucker now claiming he should not have tried to get away. Sitting in with Astana will do nothing for him unless AC and LA punch each other off the bike before the end of the race. Riding Contador off his wheel in the last few km is not a realistic option. Breakaways maybe should get used to seeing Cadel trying it on, and maybe they'll need to start racing themselves instead of relying on the peloton gifting them a win.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Why isn't the criticism being leveled by 'the experts' at Cadel (3:07 down on GC) for attacking early on the 1st climb also being aimed at Sanchez (4:10 down on GC) too? Oh, because Sanchez won the stage ... and made up 1:56 on GC to now sit 11th at 2:16. See what happens when you animate a race, form alliances and actually 'race'. If it weren't for the petulance of Cancellara and Hincapie, perhaps Evans finds himself in a similar position. The big difference is that Caisse d'Epargne are clearly collaborating with Astana and that's why Astana let Sanchez stay away. It was Caisse d'Epargne who responded to Evans attack on Arcalis. They're simply returning the favour for having Contador and Astana deliver victory to Valverde over Evans in the Dauphiné. So don't be surprised when the inevitable split happens in the Astana camp in the last week, it is the domestiques of Caisse d'Epargne that deliver the overall victory for Contador over Armstrong and his loyal subjects at Astana

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Riis could have used the break to put pressure on Astana. They weren't going to let Cadel get away so Astana would have had to burn matches to chase. Then maybe Bjarne's little game with Andy Schleck on the last climb would have been more effective.

msjett said:
Because obviously they know better? if they had succeeded in the break, I would have thought, that's good tactics, but as they didn't, it was a waste of energy for Evans, Cancellara and Hincapie.:rolleyes:

One would hope they know better. Yes, it would be good tactics if they had succeeded.

However, my point is that is was Evans who instigated the break, Hincapie and Cancellara took advantage of it and then told Evans to go back to the peleton.

Thanks for the help, Cadel, but we don't need you anymore.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Riis could have used the break to put pressure on Astana. They weren't going to let Cadel get away so Astana would have had to burn matches to chase. Then maybe Bjarne's little game with Andy Schleck on the last climb would have been more effective.

Precisely.

No-one other than Astana wins the bike race unless the likes of Saxo Bank, Silence-Lotto, Garmin and Rabobank systematically work Astana and its big engines over. The race will not be won this week. But the less petrol Astana has in the tank in the final week the better the chances of anyone other than Astana stealing the overall.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Boleyn said:
One would hope they know better. Yes, it would be good tactics if they had succeeded.

However, my point is that is was Evans who instigated the break, Hincapie and Cancellara took advantage of it and then told Evans to go back to the peleton.

Thanks for the help, Cadel, but we don't need you anymore.

I am agreeing with you....I was just being sarcastic.

But in the end, because of egos, the three of them wasted a lot of energy.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Colnago Kid said:
And the same goes for you too, Hincapie. Maybe the weight of carrying two race radios, one for Columbia and one for Astana was the reason you got dropped on the climb.

LMFAO, "The Astana Conspiracy" continues. You effn knuckleheads need a life.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
Stones, glass houses and all that....:rolleyes:

It's not Astana's fault that the only one with balls enough to attack is AC. Its up to Schleck, Evans, Sastre Saxo/Lotto to muster up the minerals to put in a serious attack. Following Astana around for 3 weeks isnt going to get it done. Nothing is stopping them, but they just dont seem to want to do it.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
LMFAO, "The Astana Conspiracy" continues. You effn knuckleheads need a life.

Incisive analysis there.

The really hilarious thing is how paranoid you guys are about the fact that everyone is onto your conspiracy. You may want a procession. The rest of us want a race.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Colnago Kid said:
Incisive analysis there.

The really hilarious thing is how paranoid you guys are about the fact that everyone is onto your conspiracy. You may want a procession. The rest of us want a race.

Then send Riis/Schleck/Evans/Sastre etc a message. Tell them to man up, drop their nuts and do something.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
The Colnago Kid said:
Precisely.

No-one other than Astana wins the bike race unless the likes of Saxo Bank, Silence-Lotto, Garmin and Rabobank systematically work Astana and its big engines over. The race will not be won this week. But the less petrol Astana has in the tank in the final week the better the chances of anyone other than Astana stealing the overall.

Spot on Kid......They need to make Astana chase all day so that they are less effective at the end of each stage and on Ventoux. All we have now is a fight between LA and Contador. Everyone in the peleton has to tow the Astana line or you can kiss your career good bye.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
To go back on topic: the attack wasn't going anywhere. Cadel didn't have a sufficient gap at that point. So, the only way for the escape to survive at all was to get rid of Cadel.

Should Cancellara have TT'ed Cadel across the flats? He might've worn out 1 or 2 Astana domestiques, but what would've been the benefit for Saxo compared to Silence?

Why did Astana let LLS go? Because he can't TT as well as Cadel.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
It's not Astana's fault that the only one with balls enough to attack is AC. Its up to Schleck, Evans, Sastre Saxo/Lotto to muster up the minerals to put in a serious attack. Following Astana around for 3 weeks isnt going to get it done. Nothing is stopping them, but they just dont seem to want to do it.

did you miss the attack Evans put in today? wtf.
did you tune in and watch just the last 10 minutes, then come up with your insightful analysis? or are you just completely clueless?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Evans has tried really hard in the last 2 days to make something happen. All credit to him. I didn't really understand why he attacked on the flats today rather than on the slopes where the Astana unter-domestiques cannot so easily protect their big guns. Obviously there is no way Astana will let someone of his GC calibre get in a breakaway. The only realistic way I can see Astana getting beaten is if Evans, the Schlecks, Sastre, CVV, Wiggins and the juiced version of Menchov agree not to chase each other down and the work over the big 4 of Astana on the climbs. Even then they are probably racing for 2nd place as Contador would love nothing more than to bridge to a non-Astana GC contender up the road.

I saw it, I am completely mystified as to why Evans would attack at that point in the race. Did he think maybe he could outride the entire Astana team not to mention the odd helper that Saxo, Cervelo etc might decide to throw on the front if it did begin to look like he was winning the battle with Astana? And if he did, after 100 miles all out how would he keep up the next day in the mountains? Maybe this is why he's never attacked before? And maybe that has been a good thing for his career?

TRENDING THREADS