• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cannondale supersix vs scott vs trek

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
i
i am from belgium and want a new frame,
i have a six13,at moment
the new super six looks good but i dont no de weight of this frame.
what is the best frame at moment?
thx

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
steve1967 said:
i
i am from belgium and want a new frame,
i have a six13,at moment
the new super six looks good but i dont no de weight of this frame.
what is the best frame at moment?
thx
I'm biased ... stick with Cannondale! :)

Only warning I'd give is to say will you enjoy full carbon after riding a Six13? I have a Six13 myself and every time I've ridden carbon - although admittedly not any of this year's carbon bikes - I've felt that the rides are "dead" compared to the lovely, lively feel you get out of a good alloy Cannondale. And that comment applies irrespective of whose brand bike it is.

If you're looking at a Scott, make sure that you check one out in the flesh. Push the tubes and see which ones flex under your fingers ... then decide if you can live with a frame like that or not (I was really keen on a Plasma TT bike at one time until I gave it the push test like that ...)

I also found Treks to be particularly bland and uninspiring bikes. Hard to describe other than to say that every time I have ridden one (be it road or MTB) I've got off and thought "well that's 20 minutes of my life that I'm never going to get back again"! As I say - to me they are bland and uninspiring ...

As I say, these are my opinions. No doubt there'll be some people who'll agree and others who will disagree - and I'm sure some of the latter group will start attacking me personally for my posts (try not to - it doesn't help the OP in their decision making). At the end of the day, as I'm sure you know - the best bike is the one that you feel most comfortable on ... whatever the brand ...:)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
specialized or cervelo are simply better frames than the choices you mentioned independent tests would agree other than those two the scott bikes would be in third.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Since Merckx production has been exported, I'd also say go local with Ridley. Of the three you list, Super6 Hi-mod would be my suggestion.Campagnolo now do a BB30 set of cups, which is how I would set it up.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
Check where the Ridleys are made.

Ridley is still a Belgian company. Yes, manufactured in Asia, but so is every other bike mentioned here. If people were so hung up on where the bike is manufactured and decided to boycott Asian made bike goods, the remaining choices would be mighty bleak.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Ridley is still a Belgian company. Yes, manufactured in Asia, but so is every other bike mentioned here. If people were so hung up on where the bike is manufactured and decided to boycott Asian made bike goods, the remaining choices would be mighty bleak.

Or go custom. Pegoretti or Duell are more than good enough frames to race. OK, you're carrying around 300-500g more than a top end carbon/aluminium frame but how many guys do you see lining up to race who are carrying at least 0.5kg excess body weight? Or a Museeuw?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
My Excalibre was glued up in some Asian sweatshop but the decals and paint were applied in Belgium. Crisp makes his frames in the heart of Tuscany ... only problem is that his frames are ultra expensive.

I met a Belgian guy on a train in Italy this summer and he was a real fan of Specialized, Trek and Cannondale. I guess we're all drawn to what seems exotic to us.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:

NOT hung onto anything but yes, buying a Ridley will help support a few local Ridley office guys but those Asian factory guys, who make excellent products for lots of brands, will just make another brand instead of Ridley if Ridley went belly up. I wouldn't buy any brand just cuz the company is 'local', whether it be Belgium, Italian, American, or anything else. My German car and American truck were both 'hecho en Mexico'.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Those Merckx and Museeuw bikes are very nice too. The Ridley that really caught my eye was Pozzato's back up bike for Roubaix this year...Damocles Pi...... I like it!!!
beltech-Katusha1.jpg

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
ok ridley is top in cyclo cross too,but a tarmac sl or super six is good stuf,here in belgium everybody ride ridley,or prorace too.
we have ,de vlaeminck bikes too.
the new tarmac sl3 frame is nice

TRENDING THREADS