Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There'll be lots of teams interested in Betancur. A young guy who proved he can do well in GTs, one days and week long races, what's not to like? His absence as of late won't discourage anyone, they willl all think they can improve his work ethic.
 
Arnout said:
There'll be lots of teams interested in Betancur. A young guy who proved he can do well in GTs, one days and week long races, what's not to like? His absence as of late won't discourage anyone, they willl all think they can improve his work ethic.
Can you realistically see him on any of these teams?

Europcar
FDJ
Sky
Tinkoff
Lotto
OP-QS
Belkin
Giant
Orica
Garmin
BMC
Astana
Katusha
 
Netserk said:
Okay, maybe Lampre.
Since when Lampre is a better sportif choice than Androni???

I still guess he's going to Colombia and will get a whole team formed around him for the Giro and the Vuelta.

Savio seems more like the last person on earth to handle with Andy Schleck ... But I doubt Andy can put his proudness away and sign for a pro conti squad ... Especially after those ******* comments of his father ...

But anyway this is about Betancur. I still think it would be good for him to have a familiar team build around him at home in Colombia. And I believe Colombia can build a decent squad to support him. They just lack a true leader as Duarte is a pure joke.
 
Netserk said:
Can you realistically see him on any of these teams?

(...)
Europcar -> Don't think so
FDJ -> No
Sky -> Probably not
Tinkoff -> Yes
Lotto -> Finances permitting
OP-QS -> Yes
Belkin -> Finances permitting
Giant -> No
Orica -> Yes
Garmin -> Yes
BMC -> Yes
Astana -> Yes
Katusha -> Yes
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
staubsauger said:
Since when Lampre is a better sportif choice than Androni???

I still guess he's going to Colombia and will get a whole team formed around him for the Giro and the Vuelta.

Savio seems more like the last person on earth to handle with Andy Schleck ... But I doubt Andy can put his proudness away and sign for a pro conti squad ... Especially after those ******* comments of his father ...

But anyway this is about Betancur. I still think it would be good for him to have a familiar team build around him at home in Colombia. And I believe Colombia can build a decent squad to support him. They just lack a true leader as Duarte is a pure joke.
you are a pure joke. Duarte is just inconsistent,not a gt contender.
 
A team with a good physiologist so they can pamper him and understand him.

Or team up with Andy Schleck so they can go to the bar together to have some cervezas!

I lost so much respect for this guy after what he did this year.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Escarabajo said:
A team with a good physiologist so they can pamper him and understand him.

Or team up with Andy Schleck so they can go to the bar together to have some cervezas!

I lost so much respect for this guy after what he did this year.
I dont know why,but I still was a half-fan:p of schleck after 2011,so it will be the same with bananito_On the other hand I think he will achieve bigger results:cool:

But I understand you.
 
I got a tip from a friend in Medellin about Betancur that isn't very encouraging, and for the look of things, he's DONE for the entire year. I'm truly disappointed about him, since he exceeds talent, but his character & personality are killing his career......

At this point, ARG2 aren't bothering with Carlos bvllsh!t anymore, since they've found in Bardet a bright prospect for the future, and someone ready & committed to assume the challenges & duties inherent to cycling...
 
Netserk said:
So you don't expect him to have a go at the Ardennes?
Lets say there are 4 spots for him to be leader: the three GTs and the Ardennes week. In my opinion, with the exception of Saxo (1 spot), all teams have room for him to fill (at least) 2 spots as undisputed leader.

It all depends on him though. The good thing is that he will run out of money again sooner rather than later.
 
Arnout said:
Lets say there are 4 spots for him to be leader: the three GTs and the Ardennes week. In my opinion, with the exception of Saxo (1 spot), all teams have room for him to fill (at least) 2 spots as undisputed leader.

It all depends on him though. The good thing is that he will run out of money again sooner rather than later.
No way
Sky - Ardenees-Henao,TdF-Froome,Giro.Vuelta-Henao(with Henao he will probably share lidership but nothing more)
OPQS - Ardenees - Kwiatkowski and for GT they have Uran and probably Koenig as well
Orica - Ardenees - Gerrans and for GTS Adam Yates and Chaves(I rate Chaves at the same level as Betancur)
BMC - In Giro and Vuelta probably yes.But in Ardenees with Gilbert I don't think so.Also for TdF Van Garderen I think is a better bet than him.
Astana - in Ardenees share lidership with the likes of Nibali and Gasparotto.In Giro with Aru and in TdF only Vuelta
Katusha - maybe in one of the GTS(where Purito doesn't ride)
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Arnout said:
Lets say there are 4 spots for him to be leader: the three GTs and the Ardennes week. In my opinion, with the exception of Saxo (1 spot), all teams have room for him to fill (at least) 2 spots as undisputed leader.

It all depends on him though. The good thing is that he will run out of money again sooner rather than later.
Good point:D
pink_jersey said:
No way
Sky - Ardenees-Henao,TdF-Froome,Giro.Vuelta-Henao(with Henao he will probably share lidership but nothing more)
OPQS - Ardenees - Kwiatkowski and for GT they have Uran and probably Koenig as well
Orica - Ardenees - Gerrans and for GTS Adam Yates and Chaves(I rate Chaves at the same level as Betancur)
BMC - In Giro and Vuelta probably yes.But in Ardenees with Gilbert I don't think so.Also for TdF Van Garderen I think is a better bet than him.
Astana - in Ardenees share lidership with the likes of Nibali and Gasparotto.In Giro with Aru and in TdF only Vuelta
Katusha - maybe in one of the GTS(where Purito doesn't ride)
Not yet I think.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
1
0
Arnout said:
Lets say there are 4 spots for him to be leader: the three GTs and the Ardennes week. In my opinion, with the exception of Saxo (1 spot), all teams have room for him to fill (at least) 2 spots as undisputed leader.

It all depends on him though. The good thing is that he will run out of money again sooner rather than later.
Europcar -> Don't think so
FDJ -> No
Sky -> Probably not
Tinkoff -> Contador, Majka, Kreuziger for GT's
Lotto -> Finances permitting
OP-QS -> Uran for GT's, Uran, Kwiatkowski for classics
Belkin -> Finances permitting
Giant -> No
Orica -> Chaves, Adam Yates for GT's, Gerrans for classics
Garmin -> Talansky, Martin, Hesjedal for GT's, Martin, Slagter for classics
BMC -> Van Garderen for GT's (American you know, the wet dream of a team like BMC), Gilbert, Van Avermaet (Amstel) for classics
Astana -> Nibali for classics, Nibali and Aru for GT's
Katusha -> Purito and Moreno for the classics, both for GT's

So no really
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
Escarabajo said:
I fixed that for you. If he was a disciplined rider he would be coveted by most teams IMHO.
I can imagine some teams might pass it over considering his lack of discipline, but considering the incredible potential, I can't imagine there aren't a few big team's being tempted to sign him.......
 
ILovecycling said:
what teams will be interested in him in off-season?

Garmin/cannon, Movistar,Sky?
Some team will take a chance on him. After all, he rocked up at the start of the year with about 5kg of fat around his face and still got great results before going AWOL to booze it up in Colombia. Some team manager is going to think that he can be straightened out and if that happens the rewards could be big.

BUT any team that hires him is going to want him as leader for the hilly classics (as well as other races). That means he isn't going to end up at a team with one of the four main contenders for those races already - ie Valverde, Purito, Martin or Gilbert. He doesn't seem like a good candidate to be a reliable domestique, to put it mildly and those teams aren't going to upset their trusted top contender to give co leadership to a talented flake.
 
Maaaaaaaarten said:
I can imagine some teams might pass it over considering his lack of discipline, but considering the incredible potential, I can't imagine there aren't a few big team's being tempted to sign him.......
Agree. Someone will take the risk. The reward could be big like Netserk said.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY