• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
MatParker117 said:
Wonder whether a team with other Colombian riders would be good for him.
it definitely would be better

If he's willing to take a pay cut I can't see why BMC, Etixx, Cannondale, Sky, Orica or Movistar wouldn't think he's worth a punt.
Didn't Betancur sign with AG2R straight out of Acqua & Sapone? I don't remember hearing of him extending at any point. If that's so I doubt he's even making that much money to begin with.

A couple of Colombians wouldn't hurt (or even a couple of Spaniards, I'm guessing he can only really communicate with the three Italians on AG2R). I think a team with guys who can lead him like Uran or even Sergio Henao would be better, but I'd reckon Quintana would blow a fuse if he saw Betancur walk in carrying five extra pounds .

carton said:
MatParker117 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
MatParker117 said:

If he's willing to take a pay cut I can't see why BMC, Etixx, Cannondale, Sky, Orica or Movistar wouldn't think he's worth a punt.
Didn't Betancur sign with AG2R straight out of Acqua & Sapone? I don't remember hearing of him extending at any point. If that's so I doubt he's even making that much money to begin with.

A couple of Colombians wouldn't hurt (or even a couple of Spaniards, I'm guessing he can only really communicate with the three Italians on AG2R). I think a team with guys who can lead him like Uran or even Sergio Henao would be better, but I'd reckon Quintana would blow a fuse if he saw Betancur walk in carrying five extra pounds .

Sky have a surprising number of Spanish and Italian speaking riders and staff. Although how Carlos would respond to Quintana's former coach and being put on a diet is another thing.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

carton said:
MatParker117 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
MatParker117 said:

Yes, he seems to be friends with Nocentini but I get your point, french teams can be a pretty strange if you don't know the language.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Re:

irondan said:
Which is it?

This:
spanky wanderlust wrote:

this guy has an astonishing fan base for a rider who has never won anything. he's overweight all the time, totally undisciplined, always off the back, yet some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming of robert gesink or jvdb2.

i hope he wins something in this giro, if only to justify why people even talk about him.

Or this?
spanky wanderlust wrote:

that's hilarious!
can't tell which is funnier, that i'm a troll or that i'm well known.
thanks!

it's not actually a response to my point that betancur is highly overrated. although, i guess i understand why his fans would resort to ad hominems. how many minutes back was he today? :rolleyes:

fact is, i do route for the guy. pro cycling is a better place when betancur is on form and winning. i think everyone wants to see that.
:rolleyes:

little bit of both, actually.

i have to maintain a sense of humor about the lack of realization of his potential. if i didn't, i'd have to use the sad/angry/frustrated/embarrassed emoji a lot more. :D

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
spanky wanderlust said:
Jspear said:
It's funny to see how happy some are when he gets a top 10 result. :D

this guy has an astonishing fan base for a rider who has never won anything. he's overweight all the time, totally undisciplined, always off the back, yet some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming of robert gesink or jvdb2.

i hope he wins something in this giro, if only to justify why people even talk about him.

How can he be "always off the back" if he's won Paris-Nice and just finished one of the toughest Giro stages in the top 10? If you noticed he gets even more criticism and mean spirited jokes thrown his way than he gets posts of admiration.

he finished in 20th place overall iirc, behind a bunch of riders he is supposed to be better than. many of us think that he should be better.

no worries, bruh.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
spanky wanderlust said:
Escarabajo said:
Don't reply to spanky wanderlust. He is a very well known troll.

that's hilarious!
can't tell which is funnier, that i'm a troll or that i'm well known.
thanks!

it's not actually a response to my point that betancur is highly overrated. although, i guess i understand why his fans would resort to ad hominems. how many minutes back was he today? :rolleyes:

fact is, i do route for the guy. pro cycling is a better place when betancur is on form and winning. i think everyone wants to see that.

So if this is the case why do you have a problem with others rooting for him?

i don't. i was responding to a quote about outsized expectations of his fans.

MatParker117 said:
carton said:
MatParker117 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
MatParker117 said:

Sky have a surprising number of Spanish and Italian speaking riders and staff. Although how Carlos would respond to Quintana's former coach and being put on a diet is another thing.

Edmondson was dropped by Sky because of has unprofessional manner, cant see Carlo lasting long there!

Last post looong time ago...

He spent a lot of time in his homecountry, but the break is over now.

Tour de Pologne will be his comeback race. His twitter account was empty the last weeks.
I am excited to see this guy back in business.

Will he be in ok shape to ride a good Vuelta, or will his career be over soon?

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Banana_Joe said:

Tour de Pologne will be his comeback race. His twitter account was empty the last weeks.

forgett that guy, he was inscribed to race in the pan of toronto 2015 the last week, he never took the plane. The colombian delegation wait and wait for him, with no call response. Off course he returned to a pig mode.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Banana_Joe said:

its better to follow his insta account, he posts there more often.
I hope he turns up here in Europe, he has chance for stage wins or decent GC with those Tour-tired legs in the bunch.

If the rest of his 2015 season is a disaster, even the biggest believers will acknowledge his carreer is more or less over. I hope he's form is decent at Pologne, of course not 100% which is not possible after such a long break.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Popchu said:
If the rest of his 2015 season is a disaster, even the biggest believers will acknowledge his carreer is more or less over. I hope he's form is decent at Pologne, of course not 100% which is not possible after such a long break.
poland will be certainly a training race, important is his vuelta performance I think

Re:

Popchu said:
If the rest of his 2015 season is a disaster, even the biggest believers will acknowledge his carreer is more or less over.
I doubt it. Pippo Pozzato is still finding teams that believe in him. Carlitos finished 20th overall in the Giro, with five top-10s including a second place when he out-sprinted Pellizotti, Intxausti, Rosa, Kruijswik and Hesjedal. Out of ~540 WorldTour riders, he's 110th in points. And he's 25 and this has been his worst season in 5 years. Unless his trend of getting lost in the way to Rionegro continues/worsens, he'll have job somewhere. Probably not as a GT leader, but offers will come.

ILovecycling said:
poland will be certainly a training race, important is his vuelta performance I think

100% agree. If he starts again like he did in March, then the season will be over and he will finish around 150th around again at the Vuelta.

He has to be in decent shape... Even if it is just for practice-racing. I would call out a top 50 GC in Poland as an indicator for an ok shape. He needs it.