• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Popchu said:
Escarabajo said:
AG2R knows that if they let him go to Colombia and wait until the Vuelta it would be a complete waste of time. Really. Why do it. If they do it might as well pay Betancur for they rest of the year for free. LOL.

In 1 month before the Tour it is harder to loose fitness. It is their choice whether they want to take the gamble.
What's the point of sending Betancur to the Tour? He's racing non-stop for some months, and he has barely seen his child. And AG2R already have Bardet and Peraud (+ Pozzovivo?). The only thing AG2R should do is make sure he trains and lives like a pro in Colombia.

Anyway, he said already he's going back to Colombia after this Giro. :)
Yep,he could be depressed he havent seen his son for a while.That would affect him in negative way surely.

edit: Can I ask you for the source of that last sentense?
His Instagram: https://instagram.com/carlosbetancur/

Como pasa el tiempo. Con la ayuda de Dios solo 8 días para estar con mis amores @stefaniarpo #carlosandresbetancurrestrepo #familia

If my Spanish doesn't let me down, he says he will be home in 8 days, assuming his girlfriend and son are in Colombia.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

spanky wanderlust said:
Jspear said:
It's funny to see how happy some are when he gets a top 10 result. :D

this guy has an astonishing fan base for a rider who has never won anything. he's overweight all the time, totally undisciplined, always off the back, yet some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming of robert gesink or jvdb2.

i hope he wins something in this giro, if only to justify why people even talk about him.
Lol'd. Implying someone isn't even the second coming of Robert Gesink is one of the greatest putdowns I've seen here.

Yep,he could be depressed he havent seen his son for a while.That would affect him in negative way surely.
Nah. It wouldn't affect him as negatively as getting fat and stopping all exercise, which is what will happen if they allow him back to Colombia without an army of babysitters.

spanky wanderlust said:
Jspear said:
It's funny to see how happy some are when he gets a top 10 result. :D

this guy has an astonishing fan base for a rider who has never won anything. he's overweight all the time, totally undisciplined, always off the back, yet some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming of robert gesink or jvdb2.

i hope he wins something in this giro, if only to justify why people even talk about him.

How can he be "always off the back" if he's won Paris-Nice and just finished one of the toughest Giro stages in the top 10? If you noticed he gets even more criticism and mean spirited jokes thrown his way than he gets posts of admiration.

spanky wanderlust said:
Escarabajo said:
Don't reply to spanky wanderlust. He is a very well known troll.

that's hilarious!
can't tell which is funnier, that i'm a troll or that i'm well known.
thanks!

it's not actually a response to my point that betancur is highly overrated. although, i guess i understand why his fans would resort to ad hominems. how many minutes back was he today? :rolleyes:

fact is, i do route for the guy. pro cycling is a better place when betancur is on form and winning. i think everyone wants to see that.

So if this is the case why do you have a problem with others rooting for him?

Popchu said:
Escarabajo said:
AG2R knows that if they let him go to Colombia and wait until the Vuelta it would be a complete waste of time. Really. Why do it. If they do it might as well pay Betancur for they rest of the year for free. LOL.

In 1 month before the Tour it is harder to loose fitness. It is their choice whether they want to take the gamble.
What's the point of sending Betancur to the Tour? He's racing non-stop for some months, and he has barely seen his child. And AG2R already have Bardet and Peraud (+ Pozzovivo?). The only thing AG2R should do is make sure he trains and lives like a pro in Colombia.

Anyway, he said already he's going back to Colombia after this Giro. :)
Good luck with that!

He won't be the first nor the last that has seen his family for a long time.

Just saw on his instagram that he will be home in 9 days. 1 month would be enough to spend with family. They will be very proud of him if he gets good results in France!!

Re:

Escarabajo said:

If he finishes the Giro he'd have raced 61 days so far. I'd assume they'd want him to do Tour de Suisse or Dauphiné before the Tour de France. So that'll be 69 days of racing before the Tour. That's more than a fair bit.

He seems to be doing better, fighting for stages and the azurra. I think you have let him go home for at the very least a fortnight anyway and reward him by extending it a few more weeks as long as his data files check out. Let him recharge before you bring him in for an Italian training session before San Sebastian and La Vuelta.

He is clearly getting in better and better shape. I'd force him to act as a man for overall in Suisse and a joker in the Tour. He think he could be even stronger in the Tour. As soon as he gets a long break, he is going to be fat when he arrive to the Vuelta.

Let him instead eat all he wants in the fall. Giro-Tour combi from now on.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
If I am not mistaken he got caught up in the crash. Bad timing. Anyway, he must be almost ready to come back to his beloved Colombia.

He was delayed by the crash. I saw him with Landa for a while as Landa chased back on, but Betancur was dropped by Landa fairly quickly. But really there was no reason for him to go hard today; the break was so far up the road that he had no chance of a stage victory and he is not riding for GC.

shalgo said:
Escarabajo said:
If I am not mistaken he got caught up in the crash. Bad timing. Anyway, he must be almost ready to come back to his beloved Colombia.

He was delayed by the crash. I saw him with Landa for a while as Landa chased back on, but Betancur was dropped by Landa fairly quickly. But really there was no reason for him to go hard today; the break was so far up the road that he had no chance of a stage victory and he is not riding for GC.
Agreed.

I was just surprised to see him so far back at the beginning of the climb. That's all.

ILovecycling said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
when he returns to colombia it's pretty much end of season and maybe even career. VERY stupid mistake again from ag2r
not this time.

I hope so too. His current improvement has been remarkable to the point he might get a chance for Le Tour (more like wishful thinking, well knowing is all about the French crew) and later on get the taste of victory again, so he can self convince of the chances that must take place in his lifestyle to remain active and good.

I do not completely disagree with Ryo's comment, since the AG2R management knows how Carlos behaves back home, but then I think is wrong to literally "babysit" him -or worse- surveillance him 24/7 to check him all times. He's a full grown man who has to act his age, honor his profession accordingly & develop it to get better results. I was thinking they (AG2R) wanted him to stay in Europe longer to straighten him out & get him worked hard for his contract-but like I stated- he's a big boy with the reigns of his own destiny- so is up to him

Which is it?

This:
spanky wanderlust wrote:

Or this?
spanky wanderlust wrote:

that's hilarious!
can't tell which is funnier, that i'm a troll or that i'm well known.
thanks!

it's not actually a response to my point that betancur is highly overrated. although, i guess i understand why his fans would resort to ad hominems. how many minutes back was he today? :rolleyes:

fact is, i do route for the guy. pro cycling is a better place when betancur is on form and winning. i think everyone wants to see that.
:rolleyes:

After a bad start into the giro and loosing 13 minutes on the road to La Spezia Betancur is going to finish the Giro 20th in the GC.
Additionally stages one time 2nd place and three more top ten finishes.

Compared to his weak start into the season, where he just tried to follow the peloton even in flat stages, he had a pretty decent Giro d'Italia. During the last couple days he was maybe a little bit tired because of his aggressive way of riding.

And now.... The discussion has already started. We will have to wait for his return. When will he be supposed to come back to Europe? Will he be at least in ok shape then? Or will his career almost be over? I don't know his salary, but I would say to get a nice contract for next season (Ag2r or any other team) he needs to perform well in the secound half of the year. Coming back, getting slowly into shape again an finish Vuelta Top 30, for example, wouldn't be enough.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the feeling his form is starting to be worse now. Would be quite logical, he already has 58 (!) race days under his belt. But he showed he's rider again. Good sign for the second part of the season.

Time to get a good break and focus on La Vuelta ! :)

11267450_504189616404834_1905088485_n.jpg

yes it is, mil bendiciones ronca!