• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Damn, I was thinking he would get in a better shape for the new season/team. What was I thinking to include this sumo wrestler in my CQ team? I'm sure 99% CQ teams has this chunky hog too ... :eek:

r_carlos_betancur_670.jpg

Re:

Jancouver said:
Damn, I was thinking he would get in a better shape for the new season/team. What was I thinking to include this sumo wrestler in my CQ team? I'm sure 99% CQ teams has this chunky hog too ... :eek:

I'm thinking the same thing. If it's bad pick at least you're (and me) not alone. :)
I know for me the thinking was, knew team, new habits, training ect. - surely he'll be good - he was just given a new opportunity at the WT level after doing NOTHING previously! We shall see.

I think he'll still be better.

Something I don't understand though is how was he ever good? I mean a couple of years ago he was skinny, but he strikes as someone who very quickly gains fat as genetically his metabloism may not be as fast as other cyclists. Because there is no other reason in my mind why even under the intense scrutiny of Movistar he'd gain weight. But as a teen, if he is genetically inclined to gain fat, how was he one of the best? When you are a teen, obviously you have a quicker metabolism, but still. Surely the people he is racing against would've been skinnier and so better? I mean, no 12-16 year old goes on a diet, unless they felt compelled by media to have a perfect 6-pack abs and ripped body. But Betancur wouldn't have wanted this, so how was he picked up by agents/scouts?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
I think he'll still be better.

Something I don't understand though is how was he ever good? I mean a couple of years ago he was skinny, but he strikes as someone who very quickly gains fat as genetically his metabloism may not be as fast as other cyclists. Because there is no other reason in my mind why even under the intense scrutiny of Movistar he'd gain weight. But as a teen, if he is genetically inclined to gain fat, how was he one of the best? When you are a teen, obviously you have a quicker metabolism, but still. Surely the people he is racing against would've been skinnier and so better? I mean, no 12-16 year old goes on a diet, unless they felt compelled by media to have a perfect 6-pack abs and ripped body. But Betancur wouldn't have wanted this, so how was he picked up by agents/scouts?

He's not the same guy as 5-10 years ago. Back then he had the mentality and work ethic to get a pro contract and eventually results which would land him big $$. Then all the money he made changed him, he also became a father. Saturated and more comfortable with friends and family he stayed in Colombia, eating and betting.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he looks all that bad, for him. I'm guessing the photo was probably taken in November/early December. Let's see what he can do this year.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Remember he won Paris-Nice when overweight - I think the issue with him is more motivational/psychological instead of his weight. If he feels more at home in Movistar he could still be good.

The issue is motivational/psychological in the sense that when he is depressed, doesnt feel like training or whatever he gains weight and thus really cant race. He was a lot more fit when he won P-A.

I have a hard time judging exactly how bad it is, its much better than the pictures of him before the Vuelta the last couple of years, but then again, it doesnt say much. Im not overly optimistic, but it coulda been a lot worse. Hopefully he will be able to race himself into shape faster than 2015, but even then, he showed it was somewhat possible, allthough Movistar still wants more out of him than second half of the Giro-Betancur.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Isaak-Gabriel said:
LaFlorecita said:
Not sure when that pic was taken, could have been back when they revealed the kit.
November, between 9th and 13th, team meeting in Castle of Gorraiz

Regardless, these days, no pro cyclist on a WT team should get that heavy any time of the year. The days of Jan Ulrich and his traditional extra 20kg in the offseason are long gone. JMHO

Re:

Jancouver said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's possible that he has some thyroid problems...For a person like him who probably rides he's bike 2-3 hours average per 365 days he doesn't look good. Okay, it's offseason but he looks like having more than 20-25% fat on his body. Look at his canker. For a healty who practice sport is...Nevermind, I said this because I also have the some problem. Even if I don't have many kilos(1.80 and 76-77kg) I look a little bulky and I find it very hard to burn fat and put muscle, even if I don't eat many sugar aliments. Betancur looks like me and if he has this problem that's why he get's in shape so difficult. I'm pretty sure that if you took his t-shirt away you' ll not see abs and pecks.

pink_jersey said:
Jancouver said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's possible that he has some thyroid problems...For a person like him who probably rides he's bike 2-3 hours average per 365 days he doesn't look good. Okay, it's offseason but he looks like having more than 20-25% fat on his body. Look at his canker. For a healty who practice sport is...Nevermind, I said this because I also have the some problem. Even if I don't have many kilos(1.80 and 76-77kg) I look a little bulky and I find it very hard to burn fat and put muscle, even if I don't eat many sugar aliments. Betancur looks like me and if he has this problem that's why he get's in shape so difficult. I'm pretty sure that if you took his t-shirt away you' ll not see abs and pecks.

Nice post. I agree that it's weird that he's this big while training.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Escarabajo said:
I thought about the bandeja paisa this morning. But it should be fine if you take the chorizo and the chicharrón out and reduce the amount of the other stuff. But it is hard to resist!!!!

Maybe if you also take out the fried plantain as well!

"C'mon, plantain is fruit, ipse facto it's healthy. Sort of. OK, maybe not fried. Fine then, just take it :( "

Betancur this morning

TRENDING THREADS