• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
I would like people to stop talking badly of Betancour cause he was seen training at home.

Fat-house-cycling.jpg

I see total domination of Colombia at Burgos...Every end, on every list, Colombia was flanking all other countries. Nairo, was 1st in many categories. Betancur, he flanked the other end.

- He was only 35 seconds away from being the 2nd to last place on the GC
- He was only 2 minutes 13 seconds away from 1st place on the TT
- He destroyed Nairo on that final weigh in.
- He ruled the field in the hot dog eating contest
- He was by far the most engaged and won every day the karaoke drinkathon, coming back EVERY NIGHT to defend his title

Looking forward to the Vuelta now

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
he won paris-nice this year being at least 5 kg overweight. i think if he will lose another 2-3 kgs before the last week of la vuelta, he will shine there big time

He can't drop that weight even if he is handed a bag full of stones at every feed zone from day 1.

Carlos announced that he will be targeting the world's and should be the team leader.
Mind you, Nairo said the same thing.
Uran will be there, targeting Lombardia and the world's as well. Rigo was well positioned last year and should have contested until that crash in the final 5km.

We see that Winner is finally back, proving that he is over last year's injury. He was in the team last year and also will be in the team this year.
Rubiano won the Colombian nationals and was leading the Vuelta a Colombia until the TT. He will be there as well.

Colombia will have 9 riders at the world's. Here is the team from last year:

Nairo Quintana, Movistar
Rigoberto Uran, OPQS
Winner Anacona, Lampre
Fabio Duarte, Team Colombia
Miguel Rubiano, Team Colombia
Sergio Henao, Sky (Injured right now)
Cayenato Sarmiento, Cannondale (Injured right now)
Janier Acevedo, Garmin
Darwin Atapuma, BMC

Nairo, Rigo, Winner, Esteban Chavez, Jose Serpa, Julian Arredondo will join Carlos at the Vuelta. We should assume that they all will want to be part of the World's & will be in relatively good shape for it. That leaves 2 spots open. Acevedo should join them as he is racing in US right now. 9th spot is still up in the air.

I can see why Carlos believes all these guys should work for him. It's not like any of them earned it this year like he did :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
he won paris-nice this year being at least 5 kg overweight. i think if he will lose another 2-3 kgs before the last week of la vuelta, he will shine there big time
why not,its perfectly possible to drop 2kg in a one week

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It will be hilarious if Betancur sheds some weight during the Vuelta and then wins the WC. Get a big contract, party hard in Colombia and then an embarrassing spring campaign in the rainbow jersey. :eek:

Seriously, the best change for one day races for Colombia is between Uran, who has time and again proven it (Lombardia record, Olympics, previous World's, etc..) and Edwin Avila, in a couple of years. Carlos will be good in Ardennes type of climbs, but not world courses like this year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:
Seriously, the best change for one day races for Colombia is between Uran, who has time and again proven it (Lombardia record, Olympics, previous World's, etc..) and Edwin Avila, in a couple of years. Carlos will be good in Ardennes type of climbs, but not world courses like this year.

sergio henao is much better than both

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I for one applaud Betancur's efforts. He says screw this new super skinny anorexic look of pro cycling athletes! And goes on to eat the entire chocolate cake without fear!

TRENDING THREADS