• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's not hilarious at all. it's like child humor. too obvious and easy to do. seriously most people here lack a good sense of humor. maybe it's a non anglo saxan thing I guess. mild jokes or humor or something.
You're right, it's not hilarious at all. He should be banned from cycling! But have you heard of "selective humor"? It applies to those guys who say, for instance, "it's not hilarious at all" but go onto use the same kind of humor when it's convenient for them?

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's not hilarious at all. it's like child humor. too obvious and easy to do. seriously most people here lack a good sense of humor. maybe it's a non anglo saxan thing I guess. mild jokes or humor or something.

When Betancur sits around the team bus, he really sits *around* the team bus. There, self-fulfilling prophecy complete.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
No problem. Just too easy. I just don't know which avatar to assign you.

Maybe another Colombian legend.
Okey...
my pick - Betancur will finish laVuelta
Your pick - Betancur will not finish la vuelta:D
1 month avatar

ILovecycling said:
Okey...
my pick - Betancur will finish laVuelta
Your pick - Betancur will not finish la vuelta:D
1 month avatar

You people don't understand. This is just prep. He wants to win the worlds.

“I want to do very well at the World Championships. I don’t know the course but I was told that it suits me pretty well. In a month after the Vuelta a Espana I expect myself to arrive perfectly prepared for Worlds. I’ve always said that winning the Giro, Tour or Vuelta would mean a lot to me, but World Championships remain an ultimate goal,” Betancur concluded.

Rollthedice said:
You people don't understand. This is just prep. He wants to win the worlds.

“I want to do very well at the World Championships. I don’t know the course but I was told that it suits me pretty well. In a month after the Vuelta a Espana I expect myself to arrive perfectly prepared for Worlds. I’ve always said that winning the Giro, Tour or Vuelta would mean a lot to me, but World Championships remain an ultimate goal,” Betancur concluded.

He heard that Cancellara and Sagan are the main favorites so he decided to gain weight up to 80 kg to cope with them :eek:

I admit I am very eager to check Betancur's position after every stage.
It is already a miracle the guy finishes the stages until now. I still fear he will be out of time in the first real mountain stage. If not, he will for sure get into shape sooner than anyone would expect and in that case, yes, I see him compete in the worlds.
That may sound a little unbelievable right now, but he just has to loose weight (like 3kgs/week) while getting into shape. If he doesn't burn himself too much and can recuperate, his future as a cycling prodigy is not over yet.

The balls on this guy to think that he DESERVES to be the leader for the world's in the first place. My own ranking for the colombian world team:
1) Uran. Great year, did great at last year's worlds.
2) Quintana. Course may not be for him, but he already stated he wants to lead a world's team instead of working for others.
3) Avila/Duque/Duarte. Team Colombia has done a good job, IMO, this year. Some of their riders did great and could shine in a 1 day race.
7) Serpa/Anacona. The Lampre duo have also done great all year and, at least Winner, is peaking at the right time.
9) Last position in the team...Will Dayer deserve it over Carlos? will you pick someone from Colombia (doubt it since Sevilla is still king @colombia and he can't race for the colombian national team..yet). Carlos DID win P-N. He did do good at the beginning of the year.
Too bad Lombardia or Dell'Emilia is after the worlds...those could be great way to see riders form. Anyway, what's my point? Carlos may have enough to MAKE the team...but not enough to LEAD IT

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
gospina said:
The balls on this guy to think that he DESERVES to be the leader for the world's in the first place. My own ranking for the colombian world team:
1) Uran. Great year, did great at last year's worlds.
2) Quintana. Course may not be for him, but he already stated he wants to lead a world's team instead of working for others.
3) Avila/Duque/Duarte. Team Colombia has done a good job, IMO, this year. Some of their riders did great and could shine in a 1 day race.
7) Serpa/Anacona. The Lampre duo have also done great all year and, at least Winner, is peaking at the right time.
9) Last position in the team...Will Dayer deserve it over Carlos? will you pick someone from Colombia (doubt it since Sevilla is still king @colombia and he can't race for the colombian national team..yet). Carlos DID win P-N. He did do good at the beginning of the year.
Too bad Lombardia or Dell'Emilia is after the worlds...those could be great way to see riders form. Anyway, what's my point? Carlos may have enough to MAKE the team...but not enough to LEAD IT

You have to admit that the world's route is not particularly suited to climbers, especially not to diesel climbers like Quintana or Uran ( Uran slightly better ). It's for puncheurs and explosive riders ( explosive climbers like Valverde might do well ) like Betancur who won P-N which had many short average steep climbs.
If he shows a decent form in 2 weeks - he won't stay with the sprinters for long - he is Colombia's best chance IMO.

the jokes are mildly funny, except the coke one. Non-Colombians don't seem to notice how goofy is to make "Colombia=coke" jokes and still think they are witty. It would be like, dunno, making marijuana jokes every time a Dutch related topic comes out.

tristecsinamigos said:
the jokes are mildly funny, except the coke one. Non-Colombians don't seem to notice how goofy is to make "Colombia=coke" jokes and still think they are witty. It would be like, dunno, making marijuana jokes every time a Dutch related topic comes out.

Seems fair to me! Isn't that what national stereotypes are all about? As a fellow Scot, I'm always amazed that Millar is skinny - how can that be on a diet of Irn Bru and deep fried mars bars? Or maybe deep fried maltesers have a reduced affect on girth! Fat Carlos should try the Millar diet.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
tristecsinamigos said:

I do it,its a stupid humor but still:D...of course I dont do it here cuz this is almost dutch forum :eek::)

But yeah,your point is right,its stupid.

argyllflyer said:
Seems fair to me! Isn't that what national stereotypes are all about? As a fellow Scot, I'm always amazed that Millar is skinny - how can that be on a diet of Irn Bru and deep fried mars bars? Or maybe deep fried maltesers have a reduced affect on girth! Fat Carlos should try the Millar diet.

I imagine riding in a kilt doesn't give his under-carriage much in the way of protection either.

TRENDING THREADS