• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ILovecycling said:
I could live all my life very well with the half of that money, and in sopain, not in Colombia.

Drinking beer and in cockfights?

I have taxus on ignore so initially I havent seen the answer...but that is pure stupid or you are(Taxus) very economized,I dont see a way how you can live a Life with this,assuming next 50 years of your life that would be 10000€ per year excluding spain inflation rate :D[/quote]

500000 euros, you can buy 2 houses, rent them and get 700 euros a month for all you life.

At 1 %, is 5000 euros at the year, but it is possible to get in the market 5 %, so 25000, what is enought for me to live very well, but with 1 million, so, 50000 at the year, in Colombia is big money.

I am very economized, I have 5 years with very little income nor job and I live quite well. Money is a way for capitalism to elites *** most of the peop'le. Consumism is exclavism.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

TMP402 said:
It would be amusing if he signed for a new team now and performed well immediately. But sadly I doubt that will happen.
He is not allowed to sign for a WT/PCT team until January 1st. Transfer window during the season is August 1-15. (rule 2.15.120a)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
No worries. He'll surely sign with Colombia. They'll give him as much money as the can and he'll be able to sit his fat ass back at home whenever he feels like it. It's a total no brainer, and a loss-loss for all involved.

Maybe 4 or 5 years from now he'll contend for a Vuelta a Colombia, but I expect everyone to forget his name soon enough.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Ruudz0r said:
Betancur has left AG2R La Mondiale
That's one way to put it. :p

No surprise there. Probably should have happened a year ago. I wonder where he'll wind up? He should probably ride for a team based in Colombia for now and if he decides sometime in the future that he's willing to fully commit to racing in Europe he can always come back assuming he performs well in S. America.

Wasn't it actually about to happen last year? The team was being all "Your contract is out!" then all of a sudden he had a new contract.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm from Brazil and the economic scenario is similar as Colombia, and I can say: with 1 M euros you can live good enough either in Colombia or Brazil for the rest of your life. Of course, if you invest the money. For instance, 1 M euro is 3.990.000 reais. If you put this in a savings account you get (guaranteed by law) 0,75% per month. This is R$29925 reais per month or $7526 euros per month. There are better investments but I'm using the more easiest and safe that we have in Brazil (and they have a similar one in Colombia too).
With 7526 euros per month in Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, etc, you can have a very good life! Of course you can't use the main amount (1 M) to buy fancy stuff...
But anyway, I'm sure that Betancur didn't save this kind of money.

Ryo Hazuki said:
maltiv said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
you can easily life of 1 million euros for the rest of your life. let's say you loan this to a bank for 10-20 years you'll get 4-5% rating which would be 40000-50000 a year. a very big salary in colombia
Well, the inflation in Colombia is at 4.5%, so that essentially eats up all of this salary you mentioned.
obviously not. inflation is 4.5%$ so what? that means prices rise 4.5% a year that doesn't change the fact you can easily live of a high income
Yes, it does. What counts is your real-income, not your nominal income.

If you get a 4,5% return on invested capital per year, whilst the inflation rate is 4,5%, then your real income is essentially zero. Your income each year will equal the reduction in purchasing power of your invested capital.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

maltiv said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
maltiv said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
you can easily life of 1 million euros for the rest of your life. let's say you loan this to a bank for 10-20 years you'll get 4-5% rating which would be 40000-50000 a year. a very big salary in colombia
Well, the inflation in Colombia is at 4.5%, so that essentially eats up all of this salary you mentioned.
obviously not. inflation is 4.5%$ so what? that means prices rise 4.5% a year that doesn't change the fact you can easily live of a high income
Yes, it does. What counts is your real-income, not your nominal income.

If you get a 4,5% return on invested capital per year, whilst the inflation rate is 4,5%, then your real income is essentially zero. Your income each year will equal the reduction in purchasing power of your invested capital.
and your real income is 45000. let's say cost of living is 10000 a year and add 4.5% to that (450) it's pretty meaningless

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
hrotha said:
They'll keep him under control like Rujano or Cobo.

Rofl

Seriously tho, they have 3 columbians, 4 including him, and they all speak the same language and have to same culture to some extent. Could really prove to be a bargain - low risk, high reward. Why not?

I wouldn't think he and Anacona would be besties. They seem like very different guys with wildly different views of the world.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
hrotha said:
They'll keep him under control like Rujano or Cobo.

Rofl

Seriously tho, they have 3 columbians, 4 including him, and they all speak the same language and have to same culture to some extent. Could really prove to be a bargain - low risk, high reward. Why not?
I see him as a low risk signing that could be a great invetment if he dos well, tthey won't give him a huge contract and bing able to comunicate with mor than just you 3 Italian teammates should be good. He could perform in a team like that and theyll probably kick his lazy ass if he's not training hard.

I don't see how he fits in Movistar
PROs: They speak Spanish, and they have ColOmbians*, they have more climbers and "good" support on the flat.
Unzue may be hard on him (Nairo wouldn't spare harsh words if necessary, either)

CONs: The leaders are Piti and Quintana... He would be a domestique in Ardennes and GTs, with minor chances on certain races.

* All others are from Boyacá while Betancur is from Antioquia, it's like day and night in many senses.

TRENDING THREADS