• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Escarabajo said:
hrotha said:
He already reached a decent level last year at the Giro. The problem will come when his first racing block ends, only this time that will be before getting to do a GT.
His family is with him. Movistar is trying hard to cover that base!

I am hoping they have also stolen his passport, just to be sure.
Hmmm. I'm sure he can get a lot of Colombian food and delicacies in Spain, the best approach is probably to keep the breaks between races to the minimum necessary.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
I also think he will a fair bit stronger tomorrow...
I've had a strong dislike for Movistar since 2005 (back then, under the name Illes Balears).

It was the penultimate stage of some Spanish stage race. The last stage was a time trial, and the man in the yellow jersey was an Illes Balears guy, Iván Gutiérrez, who had been the Spanish time trial champion several times and held a non-negligible lead. So, anyone with a modicum of common sense says you protect Gutiérrez to help him win the overall, right?

Well, no. In the closing 20 km of the penultimate stage, Illes Balears sent Gutiérrez to work at the front of peloton to make sure the stage came down to a bunch sprint for Valverde to win. As a result, Gutiérrez blew up and lost the lead that day. A rider from some other team ended up winning the overall.

They basically sacrificed the overall win with Gutiérrez for a stage win with Valverde. It was not enough for someone in the team to win, it had to be the star. :rolleyes: I was very sorry for Gutiérrez and how he must have felt.

First of all, what race that was? You got to back up that facts a little, cause that's not Movistar/Caisse/Illes Balears style at all. On the contrary, they often ride for their secondary riders when ocassion arises.

Second, Ivan Gutierrez was certainly not mad, cause he rode almost his entire career with that team, that means 9 more years from that race of yours. In fact I think he stayed in the team after his retirement.

And third, there were numerous examples of Valverde gifting the stage, or overall win to a teammate. He and Contador are perhaps the most "generous" riders of the present, in that regard.

So to conclude, you got to name that race properly, so that your story could be beliveable

How cool is this leader's jersey by the way?

CgLRRv-VIAEH6ve.jpg

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
First of all, what race that was? You got to back up that facts a little, cause that's not Movistar/Caisse/Illes Balears style at all. On the contrary, they often ride for their secondary riders when ocassion arises.
I don't remember, to be honest. Comunidad Valenciana, Murcia, Castilla y León or something like that. A non-UCI Pro Tour Spanish stage race.

Mr.White said:
Second, Ivan Gutierrez was certainly not mad, cause he rode almost his entire career with that team, that means 9 more years from that race of yours. In fact I think he stayed in the team after his retirement.
Gotta pay the mortgage, I guess.

Mr.White said:
So to conclude, you got to name that race properly, so that your story could be beliveable
Look, I remember it happening and I'm way too young to have Alzheimer's. And, if you don't believe it...

0e2.gif

CheckMyPecs said:
Mr.White said:
I don't remember, to be honest. Comunidad Valenciana, Murcia, Castilla y León or something like that. A non-UCI Pro Tour Spanish stage race.

Mr.White said:
Gotta pay the mortgage, I guess.

Mr.White said:
Look, I remember it happening and I'm way too young to have Alzheimer's. And, if you don't believe it...

0e2.gif

Well, you really need to check your facts, because a quick check in CQRanking shows that the only race where Jose Ivan Gutierrez Palacios was leader in a race where he and Valverde were in the same team was the Vuelta a Murcia 2006. (They only raced together since 2005 so if you are thinking of Vuelta a Castilla y Leon 2004, a race where Gutierrez was leader after the ITT and lost the jersey the day after in a stage where Valverde won, you are wrong).

In that race, Ivan Gutierrez was the leader at the beginning of the stage that finished in the MTF Collado Bermejo (which certainly appealed more to Valverde than Gutierrez) and in that day Valverde arrived with Gutierrez, the only guys who lost 56 seconds to the first, so it seems that Valverde stayed with Gutierrez to defend his leader jersey.

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty disappointed that he lost this much today, coming in 30th is pretty bad in this bad field after 2 good days.
That's an early conclusion, since you don't know what happened. He might have been doing a lot of work for Valverde, who was still their leader the entire race.

So you aren't disappointed?

I am quite certain they said, Valverde or Bentacur, that they would wait and see how good Banalito was today. Movistar and Valverde likes their lesser riders to win smaller races so I can't see why Bentacur shoulda have been ordered to the front and sacrificed himself unless he did it himself since he didnt have legs today.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty disappointed that he lost this much today, coming in 30th is pretty bad in this bad field after 2 good days.
That's an early conclusion, since you don't know what happened. He might have been doing a lot of work for Valverde, who was still their leader the entire race.

So you aren't disappointed?

I am quite certain they said, Valverde or Bentacur, that they would wait and see how good Banalito was today. Movistar and Valverde likes their lesser riders to win smaller races so I can't see why Bentacur shoulda have been ordered to the front and sacrificed himself unless he did it himself since he didnt have legs today.
I'm disappointed, but it's not the end of the world. Betancur after his stage win even said himself that Valverde was still going to be the leader.

“Muy feliz de volver a ganar. A mí con frío me va bastante bien y tanto Alejandro como muchísimos otros corredores sufrieron bastante durante la jornada, así que tenía que aprovechar el momento. En los últimos 25 km la fuga todavía tenía dos minutos y me metí a ayudar con mis compañeros porque sabía que estábamos en desventaja frente a Caja Rural, después de liderar el pelotón todo el día. Con un ‘grande’ como Valverde había que echar una mano. Después de varios ataques se movió Bilbao y salí yo a rueda. Aunque en la bajada me sacó unos metros, nos la acabamos jugando juntos… y llegó la victoria.

Quiero disfrutar este éxito, pero los roles en el equipo son claros y no cambian: yo aquí no vengo a hacer la general y el líder es Alejandro. Veremos cómo van estas últimas dos etapas, pero el Bala está en excelente condición y seguiremos pensando en él. Este triunfo va dedicado a Franco Gini, una persona que me ayudó mucho a recuperar la confianza y me hizo reflexionar para hacer las cosas bien. Ahora disfruto con un gran equipo como Movistar Team y también va por ellos, por confiar en mí”.

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
I didnt say it was the end of the world, simply I was disappointed, nothing more really.
You said coming 30th is bad. Is it still bad if he worked his *** off for Valverde, his leader?

I reasoned why its bad in my post above. If thats not the case, then its obviously fine, but sincerely doubt Movistar told him to work in a world where he told them he had good legs.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
I didnt say it was the end of the world, simply I was disappointed, nothing more really.
You said coming 30th is bad. Is it still bad if he worked his *** off for Valverde, his leader?

I reasoned why its bad in my post above. If thats not the case, then its obviously fine, but sincerely doubt Movistar told him to work in a world where he told them he had good legs.
Who knows, Valverde is like God within that team.

TRENDING THREADS