• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
I didnt say it was the end of the world, simply I was disappointed, nothing more really.
You said coming 30th is bad. Is it still bad if he worked his *** off for Valverde, his leader?

I reasoned why its bad in my post above. If thats not the case, then its obviously fine, but sincerely doubt Movistar told him to work in a world where he told them he had good legs.
Who knows, Valverde is like God within that team.

Rightfully so, I might add! :D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Pretty disappointed that he lost this much today, coming in 30th is pretty bad in this bad field after 2 good days.
We have to be realistic though. His victory in the first stage was a surprise, but we need to have the circumstances in mind, especially the fact he copes well with the very bad weather. And he only had 10 race days in the legs. This race was still a build-up to bigger goals (... but which? I don't know).

At least the signs are promising. He looks fit, he has a victory in the bag so he will be motivated and he adapts well in the Movistar Team.

I hope he can win a stage in Tour de Romandie.

EDIT: The only thing I fear a bit is the lack of a 'logical' program. The Giro d'Italia would be ideal, and he could have a perfect form, but he's not on the long list.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
I didnt say it was the end of the world, simply I was disappointed, nothing more really.
You said coming 30th is bad. Is it still bad if he worked his *** off for Valverde, his leader?

Which is highly unlikely, cause Valverde himself said that he would like Carlos to win this race. Is it bad for you if he didn't work at all? For me it's not so good, and I like Betancur very much

Popchu said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty disappointed that he lost this much today, coming in 30th is pretty bad in this bad field after 2 good days.
We have to be realistic though. His victory in the first stage was a surprise, but we need to have the circumstances in mind, especially the fact he copes well with the very bad weather. And he only had 10 race days in the legs. This race was still a build-up to bigger goals (... but which? I don't know).

At least the signs are promising. He looks fit, he has a victory in the bag so he will be motivated and he adapts well in the Movistar Team.

I hope he can win a stage in Tour de Romandie.
I got you, but I think I was being realistic. I didnt expect Betancur to hold on the jersey (altho I had a little hope, I think we all did), but I surely expected better than this after his 2 good performances. But on the other hand, those stages are different to a proper MTF, but he showed he has good a decent base which obviously is good.

Romandie? I dont know too many hopes, the level is much higher and its all about Quintana.

Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:

Which is highly unlikely, cause Valverde himself said that he would like Carlos to win this race. Is it bad for you if he didn't work at all? For me it's not so good, and I like Betancur very much

Yeah, that was exactly my point.

"The Movistar Team were infallible, committed in full and more successful than ever in the Vuelta a Castilla y León. Alejandro Valverde and the Blues left the Spanish event with all four major victories at stake as the Spanish road race champion, always trying to keep team-mate and GC leader Carlos Betancur into contention for a well-deserved overall victory, ultimately had to go on his own after the Colombian struggled into the last climb of stage three."

From the official Movistar-site

EDIT: From Valverde:
“At the final climb, my main priority was keeping Carlos into contention; there were several moves into the first slopes of the ascent and we could control them more or less comfortably, without him losing the wheel of the group. However, at some point he started to suffer, and we had to keep going so we could still stand a chance.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

jaylew said:
GuyIncognito said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Now, he would say that, wouldn't he?

In these smaller races it's quite common for him to ride for others.
Visconti has won two Klasika Primaveras with Valverde leadouts, as a random example
You're wasting your time. He obviously didn't follow the race.

Plus doesn't like Valverde and Movistar team

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Angliru said:
Kokoso said:
Popchu said:
9th in the GC so he lost quite a bit, but it was more or less expected and this Castilla y Leon was a success anyway.
One would think that +2:44 on today's stage isn't success.

Compared to the string of DNFs, I'd say a stage win, a period in the leader's jersey, Valverde's stage wins, overall and Carlos finishing a stage race is a resounding success.
Ok I understand. People are really thinking different when topic is Betancur ;) Its huge success, especially in the field that deep.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Plus doesn't like Valverde and Movistar team
So, because I don't like Movistar (I said nothing about Valverde), any criticism I make of them is automatically invalid, huh? Amazing logic.

Anger is clouding your vision.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
It's more like:

- Highly dubious/silly criticism of Movistar
- Doesn't like Movistar
- Well that explains it
Next you'll be denying that, a few years ago, Gutiérrez got into the breakaway in Paris-Tours just so he could fight for the €500 on offer at each special sprint.

A man who needs money THAT badly will be stuck with his employer, no matter how bad they treat him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts