• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/class-over-kilos-the-promising-return-of-carlos-betancur/

Interesting article on Betancur. In november 2015 he had an overweight of 20 kgs. With his return in Europe, by the end of March, he worked hard on a special program and before the Ardennes he overweighed 7 kgs. Now at the start of the Giro, he still weighs 5 kgs too much which means we will probably see a Betancur in optimal condtion at the end of the Giro.

The plan is to get him as fresh as possible for the Vuelta.

Re:

Moviestar said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/class-over-kilos-the-promising-return-of-carlos-betancur/

Interesting article on Betancur. In november 2015 he had an overweight of 20 kgs. With his return in Europe, by the end of March, he worked hard on a special program and before the Ardennes he overweighed 7 kgs. Now at the start of the Giro, he still weighs 5 kgs too much which means we will probably see a Betancur in optimal condtion at the end of the Giro.

Those numbers can't be quite right can they? I can't find the 20 kg figure in the article.

Still though, an interesting account of his career so far.

(The part about turning his phone off for weeks on end when he was skiving off and eating bandejas paisas instead of training makes me wonder if he might suffer from depression. There are lots of other reasons why someone might behave self-destructively of course, but that is the kind of thing some depressed people have been known to do).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
pastronef said:
jaylew said:

His thighs! It's amazing he can climb so well with those tree trunks. Never realized he was so short.

Carthy's and the Movistar tall guy's legs are amazing, not Betancur

I think Betancur's thighs are actually wider than his shoulders. :p

191208_586436498.jpg

Zinoviev Letter said:
Moviestar said:

Those numbers can't be quite right can they? I can't find the 20 kg figure in the article.

Still though, an interesting account of his career so far.

(The part about turning his phone off for weeks on end when he was skiving off and eating bandejas paisas instead of training makes me wonder if he might suffer from depression. There are lots of other reasons why someone might behave self-destructively of course, but that is the kind of thing some depressed people have been known to do).
+1.
I think there could be an issue related with his mental strength.

Re:

Back in the off season, we had discussion like this

jens_attacks said:
The guy is totally a lost cause.
I love him :p

Now I am really, really impressed by the turnaround he's made. He seems to be in a really good place right now. Seems well supported and motivated.

I want to see Betancur on a Froome diet one day, just to see a Ragnarok like season

I just had to laugh when earlier today during the ITT one of the TV commentators had said that Betancur had an "unusual physique" for a bike rider, and then he went on and on about how many kg Betancur is overweight...

Come on, Carlos (my fave rider right now), fight for us "fatties"!

Re:

staubsauger said:
He ain't overweight at all anymore.

No he looks lean now. I think the 7 kg overweight quote is being mistranslated. I think he was talking 7 kg fat mass leading to a fat percentage around 10% or so for his height / weight. Which would mean he could lose 2 or 3 kg's more to get to a fat percentage of like 6-7% and be highly competitive also in GC of a GT.

I think he can reach that level again near the end of this Giro, and we should see him flying in the last mountain stages. Spotted him today on stage at the start and he looks good to me.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
No, seems to 7kg for real.

FranReyesF

I'd say he was speaking of being 7kg above his ideal weight, plain and simple. Bear in mind I spoke at length with him before Vuelta a Castilla y León - he is probably in better shape now, after +20 days of training and racing.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

gerundium said:
staubsauger said:
He ain't overweight at all anymore.

No he looks lean now. I think the 7 kg overweight quote is being mistranslated. I think he was talking 7 kg fat mass leading to a fat percentage around 10% or so for his height / weight. Which would mean he could lose 2 or 3 kg's more to get to a fat percentage of like 6-7% and be highly competitive also in GC of a GT.

I think he can reach that level again near the end of this Giro, and we should see him flying in the last mountain stages. Spotted him today on stage at the start and he looks good to me.

No he looks lean now. :D :D :D

Hahaha, well ... perhaps he already lost some weight but he is not lean. Not yet. At least not by cycling standards.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site

jaylew said:
pastronef said:
jaylew said:

His thighs! It's amazing he can climb so well with those tree trunks. Never realized he was so short.

Carthy's and the Movistar tall guy's legs are amazing, not Betancur

I think Betancur's thighs are actually wider than his shoulders. :p

Monster pistons pushing a small frame, if he can get it together. I get the impression cycling has taken a back seat to his family. If that's the case I can't really blame the man. Maybe he thinks his credibility is against the wall now so he's rededicated himself to fully participate in the WWCF, for the sake of his family (paychecks). Who knows...

I was disappointed by him today considering he has done very good so far en hilly terrain this year. I don't think he will be at very much help in the high mountains if his recent results are anything to go by. He has been very lacklustre in the 2 MTF's so far

But GC was always out of question