• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For the first time since his GC victory in Paris-Nice, which is more than five years ago, Betancur finishes in the GC top ten of a WorldTour race.

It was a very nice sight to see him climbing in the high mountains with the best, although he is missing something to fight for the win at this level. Maybe I was expecting a bit more after a good build-up with enough racing kilometers and a training camp in Andorra, but let's focus on the positive: his level was very decent.

And now, up to the Vuelta. If he's willing to live like a pro for two months, nice thing are awaiting for him in Spain. But another option is that he throws away his good form and arrives with +5 kilogram in August, or worse, he disappears again and does not race for the rest for the season. But let's hope for the best!

Nice to see Betancur in good shape. That said, he has the annoying habit of never pulling when he is in a small group. Pozzovivo had a good reason not to pull today with Dennis up the road, but Betancur had no reason. He is not making himself any friends in the peloton.

He is not going to win the Vuelta. :rolleyes:

After Tour de Suisse, where he finished 8th in the GC, I thought everything was going to fall into place for him this year, with a nice program towards the Vuelta. Not to win of course, but a top 10 and aiming for a stage win should be within reach, I thought. However, in Austria he was riding anonymously, while he could have won that race given the competition, if he had the same climbing legs as in Suisse. And now he finished the Tour de Pologne, where he was not exactly impressive, to say the least.

Next is Burgos, than probably Vuelta. The best we can hope for is Betancur being a good domestique for Carapaz / Quintana / Valverde, but I doubt he will be of much help.

Maybe everyone including Betancur himself just came to the wrong conclusion. If he's struggling that much with homesickness & motivation, maybe the best solution would have been for Betancur to live, ride and train in Colombia wouldn't it?

Focus on Tour of Colombia, Tachira etc

Now he's either sitting in Spain and misses Colombia or enjoying live in Colombia and barely trains... Of course that doesn't work off!

Last edited:
He is not going to win the Vuelta. :rolleyes:

After Tour de Suisse, where he finished 8th in the GC, I thought everything was going to fall into place for him this year, with a nice program towards the Vuelta. Not to win of course, but a top 10 and aiming for a stage win should be within reach, I thought. However, in Austria he was riding anonymously, while he could have won that race given the competition, if he had the same climbing legs as in Suisse. And now he finished the Tour de Pologne, where he was not exactly impressive, to say the least.

Next is Burgos, than probably Vuelta. The best we can hope for is Betancur being a good domestique for Carapaz / Quintana / Valverde, but I doubt he will be of much help.
A rider get limited opportunities and they need to take advantage of them. In his case, I think he had many opportunities during his life so far.
A pity.

Given the wild swings of form that Betancur has shown in the past, this season he really has been the epitome of mediocre professionalism.

Starting with the Fleche Wallonne in April, Betancur has had 39 race days. In that time, he has finished between 6th and 62nd on every stage and one-day race and between 8th and 43rd on GC. In fact, if you drop his top three finishes (6th, 8th, and 8th) and his bottom three (62nd, 62nd, and 53rd), his 39 stage/one-day race/GC results during that time are all between 11th and 50th.

His performances in Bretagne and Canada should have been enough to be selected for the Worlds...

Overall, he had a decent year, but it was not enough to contest for victories at WorldTour-level. Still his best Movistar-year.

1 - Klasika Primavera
15 - Liège-Bastogne-Liège
11 - Tour de Romandie
8 - Tour de Suisse
23 - Bretagne
34 - Quebec
15 - Montreal

Hopefully, he will get the chance to ride some of the Italian Autumn Classics, then hopefully announcing a WorldTour contract for 2020. He is not the rider he used to be, but he deserves another contract.