• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav Cheating the Time Cut?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Good question

Well i would assume that Rabon, Rasmussen and Renshaw wouldnt say if anything did happen but there were four others with some other guys just in front.

Manuel Belletti: «Uno si fa il culo tutto il giorno per arrivare all'arrivo e poi gente come Cavendish e non solo... altri "velocisti " italiani! che erano a un'ora di distanza quasi rientra sul mio gruppetto attaccato all'ammiraglia e resta in corsa... E magari vincono i prossimi arrivi in volata.... Vergognatevi!»
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=38913&tp=n

minessa said:
Manuel Belletti: «Uno si fa il culo tutto il giorno per arrivare all'arrivo e poi gente come Cavendish e non solo... altri "velocisti " italiani! che erano a un'ora di distanza quasi rientra sul mio gruppetto attaccato all'ammiraglia e resta in corsa... E magari vincono i prossimi arrivi in volata.... Vergognatevi!»
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=38913&tp=n

Cheers for that. Google translate isnt that helpful - 'wind attacks Cavendish' is quite funny but i know it is just translating Ventoso. What does the following line mean? Is he accusing others as well or does it refer to other people accusing Cavendish?

Uno si fa il culo tutto il giorno per arrivare all'arrivo e poi gente come Cavendish e non solo... altri "velocisti " italiani!

Stage over the Galibier and up to Alpe d'huez in the tour this year will be a hard pace all the way, could see some sprinters get knocked out there?

225874_1994526579147_1122904383_2389683_4314199_n.jpg

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Nice of him to help adjust the mirrors like that.

It seems the QuickStep car was the official tow truck for the stage, and that quite a few teams/riders were in on it. Renshaw appears to be keeping out of trouble...

Just like Petacchi's sprint in stage 2, Cavendish is a professional who is probably well aware of how much he can get away with and how much is going too far. For sprinters who are reasonable climbers like Ventoso, I can see why it might be incredibly frustrating to deal with (especially after finishing 2nd to Cavendish today on a finish he probably thought was ideal for him), but at the same time, this isn't like Greipel on Willunga Hill, the race isn't exactly on the line.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Anyone wonder how Ventoso and Fischer knew what Cav was doing - as they finished 2 & 3 minutes ahead of Cav respectively?

Also Cav may have finished last, but he finished in a group of eight riders - amazing no-one there saw anything or commented.

What do you think the trick there was? Maybe that all eight had a tow?:p

Dr. Maserati said:
Anyone wonder how Ventoso and Fischer knew what Cav was doing - as they finished 2 & 3 minutes ahead of Cav respectively?

Also Cav may have finished last, but he finished in a group of eight riders - amazing no-one there saw anything or commented.
I won't say anything if you don't say anything about me. Mutual agreement. Don't burn any bridges, especially if it is not going to help you at the moment.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I'm not saying that this happened, but on a switch-back climb such as Etna, it is quite plausible that a rider can see what is happening to riders 2-3 minutes behind.

Actually, there were 14 riders nearby timewise (from +26:19 to +26:35). Unless all were aided, (conspiracy theory anyone?) then yes, it is unlikely that only one rider was blatantly cheating. Also, seeing as both McEwen and Graeme Brown were behind Cav, one would think that they would be the ones to point out any wrong-doing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I won't say anything if you don't say anything about me. Mutual agreement. Don't burn any bridges, especially if it is not going to help you at the moment.

I'd agree - which begs the question, why is Cav being singled out?

No-one has said how Cav was holding on - maybe Ventoso or Fischer have (perfect) teeth marks on their ass.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...toso-square-off-over-towing-accusation_173912
Ventoso says it wasn't just Cav but his whole train.

As we've seen in the pictures posted here, many riders cheat a little, they hold onto a car for a moment, get the sling effect from a bottle (which in my view is essentially the same) or ride in a car's slipstream for a while. If Ventoso and Fischer have called Cav out, it must have been way over the top, assuming they're telling the truth.

Ventoso has some cheek saying the peloton should feel cheated with his history.

Nice to see he's back tracking and broadening out the accusation - tomorrow it will be Cav's entire groupetto, and by the weekend even Alberto will have taken a tow.

Incidentally, where is the Ventoso whiner thread?

hrotha said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...toso-square-off-over-towing-accusation_173912
Ventoso says it wasn't just Cav but his whole train.

As we've seen in the pictures posted here, many riders cheat a little, they hold onto a car for a moment, get the sling effect from a bottle (which in my view is essentially the same) or ride in a car's slipstream for a while. If Ventoso and Fischer have called Cav out, it must have been way over the top, assuming they're telling the truth.

Cav hasn't denied it, unless I missed it. He's usually less than hesitant to speak his mind and to call a spade a spade. His silence is deafening.

Waterloo Sunrise said:

Nice to see he's back tracking and broadening out the accusation - tomorrow it will be Cav's entire groupetto, and by the weekend even Alberto will have taken a tow.

He's not likely to be anywhere in the same zip code as AC so that ain't likely to happen.:D

Waterloo Sunrise said:

You haven't started it yet. Get crackin'!;)

Waterloo Sunrise said:

Except that he's not changing his story. He tweeted about it yesterday.
http://twitter.com/#!/franventoso/status/70118955200688128