• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav Cheating the Time Cut?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If this really did happen, you'd think a lot more than just 2 or 3 riders would be saying something. I understand his team-mates and buddies aren't going to rat him out, but if Cav (or perhaps even his whole train?) had drafted behind or hung on to his team car for huge lengths of time then any number of fans, team managers, commissaries, journalists, and neutral service drivers would have seen it. Unless more eye-witnesses come forward and at least a photo is produced I wont believe it

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
From the two photos we can see Cavendish, Chicchi, Bitti and Kristoff in close proximity to the QuickStep car, Kristoff and Chicchi hanging on for dear life. They finished together in a 30 sec. interval. Bet Ventoso was right. They probably took turns latching onto the car.

Jamsque said:
If this really did happen, you'd think a lot more than just 2 or 3 riders would be saying something. I understand his team-mates and buddies aren't going to rat him out, but if Cav (or perhaps even his whole train?) had drafted behind or hung on to his team car for huge lengths of time then any number of fans, team managers, commissaries, journalists, and neutral service drivers would have seen it. Unless more eye-witnesses come forward and at least a photo is produced I wont believe it

Ever heard of the phrase: "Turned a blind eye"? Cav is a cash cow for the Giro. Do you think they would really allow him to be eliminated by time if they could avoid it? Do you think Cav would allow it to happen knowing that after 9 stages he had zilch to show for his Giro in terms of wins? He finishes with 5 or 6 of his teammates/comrades within a minute of the cutoff? You are surely as loyal and blind as ACF is to BMC.;)

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Cav hasn't denied it, unless I missed it. He's usually less than hesitant to speak his mind and to call a spade a spade. His silence is deafening.

Cav gave a very public denial in his interveiw on eurosport after the stage and also in the post stage press conference. Also there's this piece in the daily peleton

1622 CEST - More about the Cavendish on fire (and Etna's ashes) affair. The Brit is NOT guilty according to Paolo Savoldelli: the Italian, still following the race on a RAI motorbike, carried out his own 'investigations' in the peloton, and found out that Frodo had at least three teammates around to help, that the jury cars were NOT far enough to be unable to realize any eventual cheating, and that (there comes Twitter again...) Francesco Chicchi thanked HTC for helping him to make it to the finish in time. Plus, according to the Falcon, Cav is strong enough and doesn't need such 'helping'.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=18704

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
From the two photos we can see Cavendish, Chicchi, Bitti and Kristoff in close proximity to the QuickStep car, Kristoff and Chicchi hanging on for dear life. They finished together in a 30 sec. interval. Bet Ventoso was right. They probably took turns latching onto the car.

It was Renshaw in the photo's No78 Cav is No71

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
Cav gave a very public denial in his interveiw on eurosport after the stage and also in the post stage press conference. Also there's this piece in the daily peleton

1622 CEST - More about the Cavendish on fire (and Etna's ashes) affair. The Brit is NOT guilty according to Paolo Savoldelli: the Italian, still following the race on a RAI motorbike, carried out his own 'investigations' in the peloton, and found out that Frodo had at least three teammates around to help, that the jury cars were NOT far enough to be unable to realize any eventual cheating, and that (there comes Twitter again...) Francesco Chicchi thanked HTC for helping him to make it to the finish in time. Plus, according to the Falcon, Cav is strong enough and doesn't need such 'helping'.

I put my faith in Il Falco. I can't see half the peloton lying about this just to get in Bob Stapleton's good graces.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:

Well that's that then.

If I am to believe someone is not going to be Cavendish.
Ventoso has no reason to lie:

"Por que la organizacion y jueces permite subir a todo un peloton que iba con Mc Ewen y Brown agarrarse a los coches y entrar en el control?"

Sooner or later the truth will come out.

there are more evident pictures about the cheating, but the guy that has those would like to earn some money by them (perfect italian way to do :D)
I will not get those pictures for the moment... but all the group where Cav was, cheated!

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Sorry if my point was oblique - my understanding was yesterday he complained about Cav, today he complained about HTC, hence my throw away comment that tomorrow it will be the rest of th group, and eventually the entire peloton.
My point is that from the very beginning he blamed the entire group bar McEwen ad Brown.

TeoSheva said:
there are more evident pictures about the cheating, but the guy that has those would like to earn some money by them (perfect italian way to do :D)
I will not get those pictures for the moment... but all the group where Cav was cheated!
I don't have money to pay him right now, but I'll take your word for it. In fact, I don't need proof, I am certain they all cheated.:)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a cunning plan for HTC to spur Cav on during the climbs.

Renshaw looks as though he has a well rounded ass - if he wore Footon shorts and HTC drew a little pink dot on each cheek and he kept shouting Peta I think Cav would have no problem making the time cut.

Boardslide said:

He did nothing of the sort. He didn't deny it at all. He simply stated he wasn't caught. Not in any statement did he say: "I didnt take a tow".

Of course he took a tow. All riders at the back do it. Get 30 seconds here, another 10 seconds there. My understanding is the HTC guy hung on for minutes at top speed. Generally a tow is at race pace. Not 70km per hour.

You guys act like it never happens. Worse than dope a good tow.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
He did nothing of the sort. He didn't deny it at all. He simply stated he wasn't caught. Not in any statement did he say: "I didnt take a tow".

Of course he took a tow. All riders at the back do it. Get 30 seconds here, another 10 seconds there. My understanding is the HTC guy hung on for minutes at top speed. Generally a tow is at race pace. Not 70km per hour.

You guys act like it never happens. Worse than dope a good tow.

towing is the new doping. Riis has an invisible motorbike that Contador takes a tow onto the finish line.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:

"Por que la organizacion y jueces permite subir a todo un peloton que iba con Mc Ewen y Brown agarrarse a los coches y entrar en el control?"

Cav had harsh words for Ventoso at Ghent Wevelgem.
1z3yz3p.jpg

Also McKewen & Brown finished the Etna stage 52 minutes after Contador - a full 26 minutes behind Cavs group - hardly made up by hanging on to a car.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:

Ventoso has every reason to lie. He would have won today if Cav got slung out of the tour on Sunday.

Parrulo said:
exactly. to me all this sound like desperate attempt of eliminating the competition, the better competition actually :p

Except that he made the original statement before the start of the stage Cav won, no? And what's the incentive for the Brazilian to lie to support a Spaniard against a Brit?

This is just omerta but applied to a fan favorite sprinter (for some) who has to cheat to get up the mtns because he can't (or won't?) train his climbing skills like his rivals Petacchi or Ventoso - both of whom are much more complete riders that Cavendish. lol

TRENDING THREADS