• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav disqualified!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Thor vs Cav

Hi

Seems to be a lot of british cycling fans here...

I dont know if you saw the same finish as me but Cavendish defintively blocked Hushovd. The jury regelated Cav before Cervelo protested !
And even if Cav had not been regelated Thor would have been in the lead.
And that without a team leading him all the way...
Thor´s performance in stage 13 outshined Cav completeley so I dont know why so many in this forum is complaining. He have more points with only one victory which shows that he´s much more active in the race compared with Cav.

Further, Columbia themselves started and led the sprint and thereby destroyed Hincapies chance to win the yellow jersey. And still they are complaining about Garmin ? " Hincapie is a nice guy and thereby deserves the yellow jersey ". What a statement ! This is a bike race !

Ride On

A

Anonymous

regor1 said:
Hi

Seems to be a lot of british cycling fans here...

I dont know if you saw the same finish as me but Cavendish defintively blocked Hushovd. The jury regelated Cav before Cervelo protested !
And even if Cav had not been regelated Thor would have been in the lead.
And that without a team leading him all the way...
Thor´s performance in stage 13 outshined Cav completeley so I dont know why so many in this forum is complaining. He have more points with only one victory which shows that he´s much more active in the race compared with Cav.

Further, Columbia themselves started and led the sprint and thereby destroyed Hincapies chance to win the yellow jersey. And still they are complaining about Garmin ? " Hincapie is a nice guy and thereby deserves the yellow jersey ". What a statement ! This is a bike race !

Ride On

ok.. im a brit.. personally, i liked thor, and as long as the competition is a good and clean competition i dont overly mind which one wins.. i dont actually think there was too much wrong yesterday, but if need be swap the positions over, but what has anoyed me is thors complaint. i thought he was man enough just to take it on the chin, realise its part of sprinting and get on with the next stage.. the green jersey promised so much, especially when boonen was allowed in, and when boonen, freire did nothing we thought it was going to be one way traffic for cav, thor has made a great fight of it and it was building up to one of the best green way fight in years, the pure sprinter versus the all rounder, and that has been ruined for the fans, by a decision which maybe was by the rules, but not completely fair..

im dissapointed with the judges, and im very dissapointed in thor..

as for columbia costing hincapie the yellow, it was there go slow to try and get george yellow, that ultimately has probably cost cav green.. they did not lead a charge, you must have been watching a different race

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Felice Gimondi said:
I can't understand why the jury took initiative to dq Cavendish. There has been sprints like this and far worse i previous Tours and they did nothing. Can't help thinking they wanted to teach Cavendish a lesson and waited for an opportunity.

Besides, the jury had no doubts but all over cycling fans are disagreeing about it.

Only English and Cav fans are disagreeing about it! I don't know if it was foul or not, but I recall thinking "is that legal!?" when I saw the sprint! It was a dangerous situation...As a neutral, Cav deserved the penalty

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
you have to remember that this is the guys livelyhood. if you were going for a promotion and the other guy going for it did something to reduce your chances youd be annoyed, not necessarily complain, but be annoyed.

i think that cav was innocent tbh, it was more his teams fault for having to make him sprint slower to get hincapie the yellow. as its been said before the tashkent rerror was much, much worse

nevertheless i think both parties are gulty of complaining, even though th apologised it was still a bit pathetic to have a go at velits who was just quicker than him, that is the point of the sprint, to finish as high up as you can.

i dont think av will win for one reason, and its not the gap between them, it is that th has gone for bonus points in the mountains, he is a more experienced competitor as his experience will most likely win through, even though id like to see cav win.

whatever happens hopefully the best man will win:)

Franklin said:
What we all forget is that for us the barrier comes up all of a sudden. But the sprinters saw it coming for sure.

Thor got boxed in by three Columbias and funneled to the right. This surely was intentionally. However Cav must have see the barrier coming, must have known where Thor was.

Thats a relegation for sure. This could have ended with Thor in the barriers with 65 kmph, without Thor having much chance to defend himself.

Yeah they all saw the bump in the barriers before we did but the guy who is next to the barrier is responsible for himself. The columbia team aren't required to move in for him, if there is an obstruction in Thor's line then it's Thors problem and Columbia's line seems strait enough to me. Having said that, Cav does move a little but as said by others that comes with looking over your shoulder.

And it's just spoiled the the most exciting competition in the tour so far - paris was going to be great with those two battling for green. Seems like many people hear are taking the opportunity to slate cav for because he's a bit of a *** when really he didn't do that much wrong.

A

Anonymous

maybe thor will eat something that disagrees with him, or miss a corner...

karma cab be a b**ch ;)

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
Only English and Cav fans are disagreeing about it! I don't know if it was foul or not, but I recall thinking "is that legal!?" when I saw the sprint! It was a dangerous situation...As a neutral, Cav deserved the penalty

Not correct, as a Norwegian I should know. It's debated also in Denmark where they have greater cycling traditions and even on "Aftentour" on DR1 Alex Pedersen, a former cyclist, called it to harsh.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
:mad:

Incredible... Cav tries dirty tricks to win a point or two just to have it backfire on him, and people complain about Thor? Seriously... Cav may have lost himself the green jersey, but it was by his own action.

Did you see the part after they crossed the line? Thor stops to confront Cav, Cav pretends like nothing and just continues, Cavs teammate Eisel stops pats Thor on the back, and Thor asks "Did you see what he did?", Eisel replies "Yes."...

Of course Columbia will protest (like every other team would) and say Cav did nothing wrong since the green jersey is on the line, but they now full well what went down. Shame on you Cav. Shame on you.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:

Incredible... Cav tries dirty tricks to win a point or two just to have it backfire on him, and people complain about Thor? Seriously... Cav may have lost himself the green jersey, but it was by his own action.
Oh really? And what were these dirty tricks exactly?

Ah yes, I understand now. Cavendish was supposed to crash himself against Renshaw so that Hushovd had enough space to get away from the barrier-trap he had gotten himself into. :rolleyes:

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:

Did you see the part after they crossed the line? Thor stops to confront Cav, Cav pretends like nothing and just continues, Cavs teammate Eisel stops pats Thor on the back, and Thor asks "Did you see what he did?", Eisel replies "Yes."...

Of course Columbia will protest (like every other team would) and say Cav did nothing wrong since the green jersey is on the line, but they now full well what went down. Shame on you Cav. Shame on you.

Damn cav and his making the barriers uneven trick.. he needs to watch out, that one could be a deadly trick.

Seriously, Thor has made himself a nice media image on TV, however the last 2 stages he's changed and become an arogant rider. I ment yelling over 1 point in Vittel.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Danilot said:
It's quite clear from the footage that Cavendish would have beat Hushovd even if the latter had not been boxed in, so if this incident ends up determining the winner of the green jersey, Hushovd will have won it in the offices and not on the road.

disagree, Thor was lapping his back wheel when Cav shut him down. The fastest man shouldn't need to do that. Goes to show how much the train has helped him...

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe anyone watching that sprint can honestly say that Cav & Columbia did not intentionally try to impede Thor and get Renshaw & as many other riders between Cav and Thor as possible.

The fact that Thor was in the wrong for yelling at Velits does not mean he is wrong about what happened yesterday, that is just faulty logic.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:

Are you sure about that? Can you lip read? One, I didn't see it, but then that's not to say Eisel didn't pat Hosvod on the back. But two, where was Eisel in the sprint to have a good enough view to judge what happened. Surely he would have been somewhere to the left of the incident without a clear view. So where did you access the information about this alleged conversation? Or did you just make it up?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
God of thunder my a55 he was in the wrong position without a lead out and even worse he goes moaning like a soft scandy.
Stick to the climbing Thor your only getting in the way. If your are going to sprint close to the barriers thats the risk you take. The man in front has the right of way. Bring your test team up there and then have a go if not dont moan when you are a wheelsucker/follower.

Your have just turned the green jersey yellow. :)

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
nathanbloke said:
Are you sure about that? Can you lip read? One, I didn't see it, but then that's not to say Eisel didn't pat Hosvod on the back. But two, where was Eisel in the sprint to have a good enough view to judge what happened. Surely he would have been somewhere to the left of the incident without a clear view. So where did you access the information about this alleged conversation? Or did you just make it up?

Of course I am sure. I didn't need to lip read, it was shown with clear audio on norwegian TV. Eisel obviously saw enough to give Thor a straight answer, you'd have to ask him for more details on his positioning. I will try to find the clip for you.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:
Of course I am sure. I didn't need to lip read, it was shown with clear audio on norwegian TV. Eisel obviously saw enough to give Thor a straight answer, you'd have to ask him for more details on his positioning. I will try to find the clip for you.

On what channel? I suspekt your are making this up because I saw this on TV2 and there is no audio there, there's only Paasches commentary...

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Pretty sure it was TV2. I have seen the clip you are probably referring to with the commentary, but that one is cut off before Eisel even pulls up. The clip was shown in full, without the commentary later in the evening.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:
Pretty sure it was TV2. I have seen the clip you are probably referring to with the commentary, but that one is cut off before Eisel even pulls up. The clip was shown in full, without the commentary later in the evening.

I find that really hard to believe since such a statement would crack the whole position and strength for Columbias statements. TV2 would even have released it for that purpose....your making it up, grow up man!

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Felice Gimondi said:
I find that really hard to believe since such a statement would crack the whole position and strength for Columbias statements. TV2 would even have released it for that purpose....your making it up, grow up man!

No he doesn't make it up. Check Tdf-magasinet on TV2 yesterday. But it wasn't Eisel who said it, it was Renshaw. But i think he said it to cool Hushovd down, as Hushovd was steaming and yelling at Cav. Renshaw and Hushovd is good mates and often train with each other. In an interview with with TV2 tooday Renshaw also said it was dificault because he's a good friend with Thor.