• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav disqualified!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish makes it simple

"Either Thor thinks so highly of himself that he thinks we were doing that sprint to try and mess him up, or if he thinks so highly of our team that he thinks the only way to beat our team is to get us disqualified. It’s one or the other."

Not quite. At least one other possibility is that you did actually do something wrong...

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:
Here you go, approx 9 minutes in. It's not TdF Magasinet but the sports news which aired 15 minutes before TdF Magasinet, hence the confusion.
http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=222

Felice:
Maybe next time you should allow for the fact that there might exist a clip you haven't seen before you accuse people of making things up, no?

Had to pay 99 NOK for that, but anyway:

He never confirms that it was a foul move hence your statement that he does is NOT entirely correct. He confirms that he saw what Cavendish did, but that is not the same as confirming it was wrong. No need to press this statement that far.

So what you actually proved now is that YOUR interpreting a (your) meaning into the statement.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Felice Gimondi said:
Had to pay 99 NOK for that, but anyway:

He never confirms that it was a foul move hence your statement that he does is NOT entirely correct. He confirms that he saw what Cavendish did, but that is not the same as confirming it was wrong. No need to press this statement that far.

So what you actually proved now is that YOUR interpreting a (your) meaning into the statement.

Oh, please... grow up, don't embarrass yourself further. The statement you accused me of making up was accurate.

Gotta love the internet. :rolleyes:

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
God of thunder

Hi.

It seems to be a lot of British Cav fans in this forum. I dont know if you saw the same finish as me but Cav did definitively not go in a straight line. And the jury also made this conclusion.
Thor have recorded more points than Cav with less wins. This means that he´s not only sitting in the middle of the bunch but is active when it comes to collect points.
Right now Cav is a better sprinter but Thor is an better overall rider and thereby deserves the Green shirt.

And the Columbia sprint yesterday probably destroyed for Hincapie.

ride On

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks to me like team plan gone horribly wrong. Yes Cavendish can outsprint the peloton on any given day, but not enough experience yet to slow it down. I really feel sorry for Hincapie, effectively being robbed of yellow by his own team.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It was probably stated already but officially he wasnt dq'd. He was relegated to the back of the pack with loss of time and points

ITV4 played the helcopter shot in slow-mo a few times.

Cav sprinted the correct line according to where the road was going. Turning a right hand curve, he moved exactly in line with the road's direction.

But the barriers constricted the overall width of the finish run. They caused a sudden move in from the right. I really do not think Cav saw Thor, and thought "I'll have him in the barriers for a bit of fun".

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
regor1 said:
Hi.

It seems to be a lot of British Cav fans in this forum. I dont know if you saw the same finish as me but Cav did definitively not go in a straight line. And the jury also made this conclusion.
Thor have recorded more points than Cav with less wins. This means that he´s not only sitting in the middle of the bunch but is active when it comes to collect points.
Right now Cav is a better sprinter but Thor is an better overall rider and thereby deserves the Green shirt.

And the Columbia sprint yesterday probably destroyed for Hincapie.

ride On

Well I'm one Brit who is fed up of Cavendish's behaviour. When things go well he loves the limelight but when he loses then he ignores the media. Take it like a man Cav. He's starting to act like one of those guys who thinks that you have to 'have an edge' and show some arrogance to succeed in sport.....I hate those guys!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Vanderaerden's perm said:
Well I'm one Brit who is fed up of Cavendish's behavior. When things go well he loves the limelight but when he loses then he ignores the media. Take it like a man Cav. He's starting to act like one of those guys who thinks that you have to 'have an edge' and show some arrogance to succeed in sport.....I hate those guys!

Amen

bravo

he is a tool. a fast tool but a tool nonetheless. and his personalized smack lends no favors to the team as we saw yesterday. Georgie should be eyeballing Cav for comments of past. payback is a girly dog in the good-old-boy reciprocity pact that is the peloton. memories are long and vivid

he reminds me of Mike Tyson every interview and changes with the wind. one day it is the green jersey the next it is stage wins..

he will fold and DNS now

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
chairvelo said:
And yet somehow Cervelo now have the green jersey. :p

There is no case in claiming Eisel or Renshaw agrees that it was an illegal move. This is irrelevant to whatever the judges think and the whole foundation for stating that crap from Fairplay.

Come to think of it, kind of cheating misusing a statement from Renshaw like that.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure, judging by his previous, he was advised not to speak to anyone last night. There would have been a lot of Pidgin German flying around as Wiggins put it. Probably a good move cos then some of you'd be on here complaining about that instead.

His interview this morning was very entertaining though.
Q: Do you still want to win in Paris?
Cav: It doesn't matter, I'll probably get disqualified for eating the wrong energy bar...
and then he walks away laughing to himself for having cracked a funny. Surely even those of you who don't like the guy can agree he is entertaining. Would you rather have a load of Formula 1 drivers who say nothing except thanking the sponsors?

Hushovd, on the other hand looked pretty smug today as he can now tootle round the last week having robbed us of some interest on the Champs :(

Now that 3 of the 4 jerseys are decided I find it very hard to care who'll end up in Dots.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am not a great Cav fan but you have got to admire his talent however Thor Hush I am a bit of baby void "the god of thunder" is a whinnnnnnning scandy and needs to grow up.Just because you bring "yer ma" on tour doesnt mean you carry on like a spoilt child.
You have tainted my fav jersey yellow.........
Marty the half drunk and blind uci judge is either in your pocket or yer ma's :mad:

I'm going to start this by saying i'm a Cav fan. However, i'm also a big fan of Thor. This I feel will show that I can bring a balanced argument to the thread.

I managed to record the stage on my V+ box and like a commissaire have now watched the replay back and forth about 15 times to see what has happened and find any problems in the sprint.

First point, the barriers. They do jut out for about 5 to 10 metres about 100 metres from the finish but to leave space Cav could have moved a little further out. The question here most would ask is why should he, and that is because its fair. The real question is could he move out?

Now this is what I saw from the numerous angles, Mark Renshaw did not have a complete bike length on Cav, therefore if Cav moves out left, he hits Renshaw likelihood is he crashes brings down numerous riders and puts those riders and himself in danger.

Second point, the looking around. Now far be it from me a non-bike racer to talk about this, but when I used to race the 800m and 1500m every time I came into the last 100m I would move out to force the person behind to run further to the line, and I would look around. I just see this as someone checking how more effort was required.

Why do I see it this way? George Hincapie is why, Columbia wanted him in yellow, if only for one day, so as little effort was required in the sprint to give him the time required to take yellow.

Third point, Thor Hushovd's positioning. This is not the first time that he has decided to take the inside/barrier route to the finish. Remember his line when he got his arm sliced by a PMU cardboard hand, yes this was a planned move to the inside and he went as close to the barrier as possible. This could be seen as a dangerous line and one he wants to take as a brave line, which I believe Thor to be. In this case was it the correct line?

The answer is no! Why? Well look at Yauheni Hutarovich of FdJ. He had the same line as Hushovd but decided to move to the outside as Thor moved inside. If Thor had taken the outside line then he could have had the double sling shot of Cav and Renshaw, potentially allowing him to be first to the line.

All in all, I see the incident as a pair of errors. Error one, Columbia-HTC trying to do too many things at once, taking yellow and gaining points on green. Error two, Thor making a tactical error in taking the line nearest the barrier with 125 metres to go.

Final decision, result stands.

A

Anonymous

i actually thought, considering the critisism cav gets for being brash, arrogant etc, his interview with eurosport today was a breath of fresh air, very down to earth, clearly pretty upset, but talking about george missing out on yellow, the tragic incident on the stage, and paying very little mind to the green jersey incident expect to hint pretty strongly that he hopes thor gets satisfaction from not winning it fair and square..

im not sure he still wont win it.. how many intermediates on the champs elysees? i think columbia are going to be out for blood.. shame its night on impossible to get a view of the finish line because of all the grandstands.. im thinking about doing a real early one this year, hitting the champs for 7am and trying to get a spot at the sprint point..

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i actually thought, considering the critisism cav gets for being brash, arrogant etc, his interview with eurosport today was a breath of fresh air, very down to earth, clearly pretty upset, but talking about george missing out on yellow, the tragic incident on the stage, and paying very little mind to the green jersey incident expect to hint pretty strongly that he hopes thor gets satisfaction from not winning it fair and square..

im not sure he still wont win it.. how many intermediates on the champs elysees? i think columbia are going to be out for blood.. shame its night on impossible to get a view of the finish line because of all the grandstands.. im thinking about doing a real early one this year, hitting the champs for 7am and trying to get a spot at the sprint point..

Overreaction from the race officials. Cav was sort of in a strange spot there. Trying not to take time out of Hincapie but still in the green jersey comp and needings points on Tor. I didn't see anything on purpose but it's still an infraction to not hold your line. How often to you get relegated to the back of the pack for not holding your line?

The interview I read with Cav was pretty amateurish I thought. My understanding is that the race officials made the decision before Thor leveled his protest. Cav seems like an angry teenager at times. Time to grow up and let his bike to the talking.

I'm sorry to see the green jersey decided this way. It was a great battle.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:

Second point, the looking around. Now far be it from me a non-bike racer to talk about this, but when I used to race the 800m and 1500m every time I came into the last 100m I would move out to force the person behind to run further to the line, and I would look around. I just see this as someone checking how more effort was required.

Why do I see it this way? George Hincapie is why, Columbia wanted him in yellow, if only for one day, so as little effort was required in the sprint to give him the time required to take yellow....

All in all, I see the incident as a pair of errors. Error one, Columbia-HTC trying to do too many things at once, taking yellow and gaining points on green. Error two, Thor making a tactical error in taking the line nearest the barrier with 125 metres to go.

Final decision, result stands.

Excellent post I agree on all points.
I am also an ex 800 man. Fun race. To people who don't know alot of runners say "the 400 meters is like sticking your finger in a light socket, the 800 is like holding it there"
:D

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Four Winds said:
Hushovd, on the other hand looked pretty smug today as he can now tootle round the last week having robbed us of some interest on the Champs :(
Place the blame where it belongs.

Hushovd can't allow himself be treated like a doormat just 'to keep things interesting'.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh & did anyone else see the versus coverage today with the chief official who confirmed the decision?
He was not French, his last name was BRUNS and he had a very distinct accent. There is a good chance he is Scandinavian :eek:
I can't speak French but maybe someone who can would search the official website to see exactly where he is from.
Should be interesting...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
Oh & did anyone else see the versus coverage today with the chief official who confirmed the decision?
He was not French, his last name was BRUNS and he had a very distinct accent. There is a good chance he is Scandinavian :eek:
I can't speak French but maybe someone who can would search the official website to see exactly where he is from.
Should be interesting...

Ok, I didn't see the coverage you mentioned but it is probably Dutch Commissaire Martin Bruinand he has been on the Tour for years - sorry to ruin the conspiracy.